Author Topic: Veteran broadcaster Sir David Frost dies at 74  (Read 1214 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Veteran broadcaster Sir David Frost dies at 74
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:18:39 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408344/Veteran-broadcaster-Sir-David-Frost-dies-74-suffering-heart-attack-board-cruise-liner-Queen-Elizabeth.html

by Jaymi McCann
September 1, 2013

Veteran broadcaster Sir David Frost has died from a heart attack at the age of age of 74.

He had been giving a speech aboard the cruise ship the Queen Elizabeth on Saturday night.

Sir David Frost, who probably interviewed more world figures from royalty, politics, the Church, show-business and virtually everywhere else, than any other living broadcaster, was the most illustrious TV inquisitor of his generation.

He not only won virtually all the major television awards available, but his professional activities were so diverse that he was once described as 'a one-man conglomerate'.

A statement from his family said: 'His family are devastated and ask for privacy at this difficult time.

'A family funeral will be held in the near future and details of a memorial service will be announced in due course.'

Excerpted... more, and pictures: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408344/Veteran-broadcaster-Sir-David-Frost-dies-74-suffering-heart-attack-board-cruise-liner-Queen-Elizabeth.html#ixzz2dduy2ksI
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

Re: Veteran broadcaster Sir David Frost dies at 74
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:29:41 pm »
I would have thought he was older than 74.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:06:37 am »
I would have thought he was older than 74.....
I thought so, too. They showed some footage of him back when he was doing Inside Edition back in the late 1980s. He looked old back then, and he was only about 50.

In fact, I was surprised he was even still alive.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:12:07 am »
I must salute Sir David Frost.  He was a cigar aficionado  and a man of exquisite taste.........how appropriate that he died on a cruise.......
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:21 am »
He interviewed about 15 of the most recent US Presidents and British Prime Ministers.

Asked who he admired the most as a leader,  Frost answered G.H.W. Bush.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:46 am »
He interviewed about 15 of the most recent US Presidents and British Prime Ministers.

Asked who he admired the most as a leader,  Frost answered G.H.W. Bush.

Did he say why?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:49:03 am »
A great intereview he held with GHW and Barbara Bush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6jwTZhtUc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10278961/Sir-David-Frost-his-five-best-interviews.html

Sir David Frost: his five best interviews

From Richard Nixon to Muhammad Ali, Sir David Frost talked to some of the biggest names of the 20th century. Chris Harvey picks five of his best interviews.

By Chris Harvey

2:36PM BST 01 Sep 2013
Follow

John Lennon and Yoko Ono, 1969

Things got quite heated on The David Frost Show in 1969 when Frost interviewed John Lennon, resplendent in a pink suit and tie, and Yoko Ono, all in black, at the height of their peacenik phase. The early phases of the interview included some gentle sparring about Lennon's recent musical output before Frost asked the couple what else they wanted to do. “Make peace, and sell it,” replied Lennon. “Is it too simple a truth?” asked Frost of the couple’s one-word doctrine. “What is too simple about me not killing you now?” responded Lennon. Frost kept his nerve. “Well I think that’s a good idea, on the whole,” he replied.

Muhammad Ali, 1974

Frost joined Muhammad Ali at his Deer Lake training camp in Pennsylvania as he prepared to face the formidable unbeaten heavyweight champion George Foreman in a fight that many believed would end the 32-year-old Ali’s career. Frost conducted the interview in the centre of a boxing ring, where he questioned Ali on his Muslim beliefs, and why he thought he could beat a fighter who had defeated so many of his contemporaries. Ali showed prescient knowledge about one of Frost's future encounters: “Listen David, when I meet this man, if you think the world was surprised when Nixon resigned, wait till I whip Foreman’s behind.” Ali, of course, went on to win the fight.

Richard Nixon, 1977

Frost’s series of interviews with the former President, three years after his resignation, were not only a milestone in television history and a landmark in political accountability, but remarkably they were conducted at a time when Frost’s own talk show had been cancelled. In almost 29 hours of interviews (later the subject of the play and film Frost/Nixon) Frost worried away at Nixon’s recollections of the events of the Watergate scandal, catching him off guard with his knowledge of a previously unknown conversation. The interview famously brought a retort from the disgraced former President about the legality of his actions: “When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal.” And the astonishing mea culpa: “I let down my friends. I let down the country. I let the American people down. And I have to carry that burden with me for the rest of my life.”

Henry Kissinger, 1979

Frost put his friendship with Henry Kissinger to one side when he interviewed the former US Secretary of State for an NBC TV special in 1979, and the ensuing exchanges were so tense that Frost later said that Kissinger didn't speak to him for 20 years. He challenged Kissinger on America’s secret bombing campaign in Cambodia in 1969 when he was in office, and President Nixon’s claim in a speech in 1970 that the US had never moved against Cambodia. “Why did he say that when it wasn’t true?” pressed Frost. Kissinger replied that Nixon was given to hyperbole. “In that case, why did you say exactly the same thing in your press briefing 30 minutes later?” Frost asked, bringing the admission from Kissinger: “That was a mistake.”

George Bush Snr, 1989

Frost himself picked this as his finest interview moment. It was filmed in a wood cabin at George Bush Snr’s home in Maine, following his inauguration in 1989. Bush opened up to the veteran interviewer about his family life, and his feelings about the loss of his daughter to leukaemia, in a way that revealed a different side of the new President to the American public. Frost remained an admirer of George H W Bush in later life, and interviewed him on a number of occasions, describing him as wise, cautious and very effective. After the Gulf War, he and the President recorded a nearly five hour interview putting on record his thoughts about the war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unMK7a7LoM&feature=player_embedded
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 02:51:11 am »
http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/26/david-frost-on-george-h-w-bush-he-knew-what-he-was-determined-to-do/

05:33 PM ET
David Frost on George H.W. Bush: "He knew what he was determined to do"

Piers Morgan is in London tonight and all this week leading up to the royal wedding. Earlier today Piers sat down with Sir David Frost, the man behind the film "Frost/Nixon" for a revealing interview that is set to air tonight. Piers asked Sir David if he could choose one person to lead the country he was living in, who would it be? He said George H. W. Bush.

"The reason is I just found him somebody who – - he was wise," he said. "He was cautious, he knew what he was determined to do." One thing that stood out from the rest: "he was a man of his word."
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776