Author Topic: Two-thirds of nurses have considered resigning, says survey  (Read 1522 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Two-thirds of nurses have considered resigning, says survey
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:42:05 am »
Via the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/aug/31/nirses-want-resign-two-thirds

Almost two-thirds of nurses have considered quitting their jobs in the last 12 months because they are so stressed, a survey has found.

Swingeing cuts to the numbers of nurses in the NHS have left many feeling overburdened and unable to give the care they would want.

A Royal College of Nursing (RCN) survey of 10,000 staff found that 62% had thought about leaving over the last year because they were under so much stress in their job.

Sixty-one percent felt unable to give patients the care they would want to because they were too busy, while 83% believed their workload had increased in the last 12 months.

Official figures from the Health and Social Care Information Centre last week revealed that the NHS has lost more than 5,000 nurses in just three years.

Data for May this year rshows there were 348,311 qualified staff working in nursing, midwifery and health visiting, down 5,601 on the 353,912 in May 2010.

As well as staff cuts, nurses have also had to endure a pay freeze between 2010 and 2012, followed by a 1% cap on increases from this year until 2016.

More at link.

Coming soon to a hospital near you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Re: Two-thirds of nurses have considered resigning, says survey
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »
I think that even over here nurses have felt chronically overworked and underpaid - and legitimately so (unlike the "striking" fast-food drones) - and there's been a shortage of same for years.  If this is what socialized national health "care" does, then it'll have dire consequences for this country.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »
I think that even over here nurses have felt chronically overworked and underpaid - and legitimately so (unlike the "striking" fast-food drones) - and there's been a shortage of same for years.  If this is what socialized national health "care" does, then it'll have dire consequences for this country.

They are overworked around here, too. When my husband was in the hospital, I bathed, fed, and took him to the restroom to help them out. It gave me something to do, other than just sit there. I did get a nursing assistant certificate a few years ago, so the nurses were comfortable with me doing that, and I was happy to use it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:58:14 pm »
They are overworked around here, too. When my husband was in the hospital, I bathed, fed, and took him to the restroom to help them out. It gave me something to do, other than just sit there. I did get a nursing assistant certificate a few years ago, so the nurses were comfortable with me doing that, and I was happy to use it.

You did good. Mom's side of the family tend to go into nursing/medical - so have several cousins who are in that field. They are hugely overworked. But one thing any good nurse in a well run hospital will encourage is for family members to assist whenever possible. It keeps the patient calm, having someone familiar to help them, even in unfamiliar surroundings.

My cousin Trudy (midwife now, but was a RN for years) says "Calm is good. They are more likely to heal, with fewer complications." - just happened to be on the phone to her when I read your reply, so I asked her.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:30:37 pm »
You did good. Mom's side of the family tend to go into nursing/medical - so have several cousins who are in that field. They are hugely overworked. But one thing any good nurse in a well run hospital will encourage is for family members to assist whenever possible. It keeps the patient calm, having someone familiar to help them, even in unfamiliar surroundings.

My cousin Trudy (midwife now, but was a RN for years) says "Calm is good. They are more likely to heal, with fewer complications." - just happened to be on the phone to her when I read your reply, so I asked her.  :laugh:

Thanks! Around 10 or so years ago, I got a degree in Human Services, along with getting certificates as an NA and Activity Director. I worked in the fields for a time, but my husband had Alzheimer's, so that stopped my college career and working. However, I was VERY lucky to have the skills needed to help him. Everyone should take NA courses. They are cheap, and don't take long to learn the skills. Many can earn a few bucks doing home nursing. Since I'm an old fart, I help friends and relatives who need home care, without charge. It's my way of paying back their friendships over the years. Besides, most of the skills taught, we already know through life experiences.