Author Topic: Tooth Fairy inflation: Price of a tooth nears $4  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Olivia

Tooth Fairy inflation: Price of a tooth nears $4
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »
NEW YORK — Days of finding a quarter under your pillow are long gone. The Tooth Fairy no longer leaves loose change.

Kids this year are getting an average of $3.70 per lost tooth, a 23 percent jump over last year’s rate of $3 a tooth, according to a new survey by payment processor Visa Inc., released Friday. That’s a 42 percent spike from the $2.60 per tooth that the Tooth Fairy gave in 2011.

Part of the reason for the sharp rise: Parents don’t want their kids to be the ones at the playground who received the lowest amount.

“A kid who got a quarter would wonder why their tooth was worth less than the kid who got $5,” says Kit Yarrow, a consumer psychologist and professor at Golden Gate University.
------
Visa also has a downloadable Tooth Fairy Calculator app that will give you an idea of how much parents in your age group, income bracket and education level are giving their kids, says Alderman. The calculator is also available on the Facebook apps page.

How much kids are getting from the Tooth Fairy depends on where they live. Kids in the Northeast are getting the most, according to the Visa study, at $4.10 per tooth. In the west and south, kids received $3.70 and $3.60 per tooth, respectively. Midwestern kids received the least, at $3.30 a tooth.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/free/20130830tooth-fairy-inflation-price-tooth-nears.html

88finger point 9999what   Interesting news to file away for never!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Oceander

Re: Tooth Fairy inflation: Price of a tooth nears $4
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »
Hah!  My daughter got $20 for her first tooth!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:38 pm »
“A kid who got a quarter would wonder why their tooth was worth less than the kid who got $5,”
Ah, yes, and this demonstrates the perfect illustration of why maintaining a lie is so difficult. Even a kid catches onto the inconsistencies.

I was seven when I realized Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny were not real. I was not disappointed; of course, I was always a few steps ahead of others my age.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:42 pm »
“A kid who got a quarter would wonder why their tooth was worth less than the kid who got $5,” says Kit Yarrow, a consumer psychologist and professor at Golden Gate University.
So what? Just tell them they didn't take good enough care of their teeth. Maybe it will inspire them to brush and floss.  :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »
Remains at a buck a tooth in my house. Though sometime the Tooth Fairy is moer resourful in my homes and leaves things he needs other than money, like a Boy Scout compass and pocket knife.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 07:22:09 pm »
WHAT???

I was seven when I realized Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny were not real

Please, someone, say it isn't so.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Olivia

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:54 pm »
WHAT???

I was seven when I realized Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny were not real

Please, someone, say it isn't so.

There...there....it isn't so!   
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim