Author Topic: WA School District Kids forced to say Pledge of Allegience in Spanish. (My Son's school)  (Read 1125 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

This is my son's school district and I am fuming mad.    Beginning this year Kindergarten and 1st Grade will be taught half the day in Spanish, the other half in English, and be taught Hispanic culture.  The remainder of the grades will have a different type of Spanish Emersion. (My son is in 6th grade). See what was in the Parent News letter sent home with him below.

By the way his mostly white  school has very few Hispanics and those that are speak English. The largest minority is Asian and they are at about 6% of the students.

THE NEWSLETTER

Dual Language program information: Language of the Day (LOD) is an important component of the Dual Language Model because it places importance on both languages being learned in the class room or school. The use of LOD fosters an awareness of the two language system and promotes a bilingual and biliterate attitude. The entire school community will participate in LOD as much as possible. Non-Spanish speakers may greet classes using “Hola” or “Buenos Dias, Ninos”. Spanish LOD are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. English LOD are Tuesday and Thursday. The Pledge of Allegiance has been translated into Spanish to use on Spanish LOD along with the Pledge in English. Our school Coyote Pledge and Coyote Promise has been translated into Spanish. As our students become more proficient in Spanish we will begin saying these in the correct language according to the LOD. Copies of both translations are also included in our Student/Parent Handbook. Here is the pledge to the Amerian Flag [en Espanol],

This is Washington's Kent School District. I do believe this Duel Language Program is part of Common Core, and I'm sure it is affecting many other districts across the country.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:16:21 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

is part of Common Core,

I'm telling you parents need to get mad and storm these schools to drop Common Core -- NOW!!!!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Ridiculous.  I loved this little snippet:

Non-Spanish speakers may greet classes using “Hola” or “Buenos Dias, Ninos”.

I suppose Spanish speakers may use whatever language they want, even Aramaic.

Is this farce supposed to go on for the entire school year?  And is there any way you could afford some sort of non-public schooling?  Even a Catholic school might be preferable, and the tuition in archdiocese schools is usually fairly reasonable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:09:11 pm by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
is there any way you could afford some sort of non-public schooling?  Even a Catholic school might be preferable, and the tuition in archdiocese schools is usually fairly reasonable.

Seconded. Get your boy out, now, any way you can. Unless your son is already fluent (or reasonably so) in Spanish, he's going to lose half his education every day trying to handle two things at once.

I am all in favor of children learning other languages and cultures - we taught our children (and now the grandkids) all the languages we know using the immersion method, followed up by summer holidays in the various countries (That was painful in the early years - bloody expensive and we had to scrimp like mad to do it). But it was OUR decision. Not some school board.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

But it was OUR decision. Not some school board.
When the state considers children its possessions (and parents irrelevant), the situation in Navy's school district is the result.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
When the state considers children its possessions (and parents irrelevant), the situation in Navy's school district is the result.

That is one of the both saddest and most accurate summaries I have seen in a long time.  **nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink