Author Topic: Obama eyes ‘discrete’ attack in Syria  (Read 1545 times)

Offline happyg

Obama eyes ‘discrete’ attack in Syria
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:46:59 pm »

President Barack Obama is considering a small-scale attack on Syria’s government, the White House spokesman said Thursday.

“What we’re talking about here is something very discrete and limited. … We’re not talking about regime change here,” deputy spokesman Josh Earnest said today.

The statement suggested the administration is not considering a large-scale air or ground attack, any effort to replace Syrian dictator Bashar Assad, or a non-military response, such as diplomatic announcements, embargoes or partial sanctions.

A limited airstrike could use air or sea-launched aircraft, likely carrying tens or hundreds of guided missiles.

The president could also order the use of ship-launched missiles, but they’re fewer in number than available air-launched missiles.

Obama plans to hold “robust consultation” with Congress, and Earnest hinted that Obama may deliver an address to the American public.

“The president believes it is important to have a dialogue with the American public,” he said. (RELATED: Cruz: Why is Parliament — by not Congress — debating Syria)

Earnest also told reporters they would see a report describing the evidence that the chemical attack on civilians in Damascus on Aug. 21 was directed by the Syrian government.

Earnest today repeated the administration’s claim that major use of chemicals weapons overseas is an threat to the United States.

“The president believes strongly — that it is imp for the international community to protect international norms against the use of weapons of mass destruction, particularly these weapons used in Syria against innocent civilians,” he said. “Protection of that international norm is a priority of the international community … is within the core national security interests of the United States of America.”
 http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/29/obama-eyes-discrete-attack-in-syria/

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama eyes ‘discrete’ attack in Syria
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:50:18 pm »
We’re not talking about regime change here
Except for the part that we want the so-called rebels to overthrow the government, and that's why we're sending them weapons. Otherwise, uh, no. Not really.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:50:49 pm »
Using aircraft ensures we will lose some planes and pilots.  The only two which could probably do it safely are the B-52 (firing CALCMs from well side the range of Syria's SAMs) and the B-2 coming in at night to drop JDAMs.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:46 am »
Using aircraft ensures we will lose some planes and pilots.  The only two which could probably do it safely are the B-52 (firing CALCMs from well side the range of Syria's SAMs) and the B-2 coming in at night to drop JDAMs.

All hell will break lose if our soldiers are killed because of Obama's endeavors. Someone will want to stick the Nobel Peace Prize up his arse!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 01:12:18 am »
[[ “What we’re talking about here is something very discrete and limited. … We’re not talking about regime change here,” deputy spokesman Josh Earnest said today...]]

Then frankly, what the heck is the point?

A new concept in conflict:
We have no intention of overthrowing the bad guys, we just want to put on a lil' bit of a show for the media in the hope that they'll praise us for doing the right thing.

But the other side, the common people that we're supposed to be "helping"? Too bad, because any real help would be jes' too indiscrete!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:12:53 am by Fishrrman »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:23 am »
All hell will break lose if our soldiers are killed because of Obama's endeavors. Someone will want to stick the Nobel Peace Prize up his arse!

It may be WW3 if the Russians, Chinese, Iranians and Israelis all start launching...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:21 am »
It may be WW3 if the Russians, Chinese, Iranians and Israelis all start launching...

This is looking like 1914 all over again.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:31:48 am »
This is looking like 1914 all over again.

Well... they aren't 'accidents'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:08 am »
Every time they open their mouths and dither in public they make the US look weaker and weaker.  By the time they get around to lobbing a couple of cruise missiles at a few discrete buildings the US is going to be the laughing-stock of the world, and other than knocking down a few buildings the Syrians can easily rebuild, the US will have only given the various anti-American groups more ammunition with which to inflame their countrymen.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 02:06:30 am »
Innocent Syrians are going to die because this half-black dic*head can't keep his effing mouth shut!!

I cannot believe we've been reduced to such ridicule.  The low information voters think their guy is so cool, don't you know?   

I can see it now:  Obama says "I don't want to make idle threats, but I will if I have to." 

Some coalition this bastard's assembled, eh?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:48:36 am »
OPERATION COVER MY ***

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »
Bravo, Sink.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »
Innocent Syrians are going to die because this half-black dic*head can't keep his effing mouth shut!!

I cannot believe we've been reduced to such ridicule.  The low information voters think their guy is so cool, don't you know?   

I can see it now:  Obama says "I don't want to make idle threats, but I will if I have to." 

Some coalition this bastard's assembled, eh? 

:hands: :hands: