Author Topic: Study: Link Found Between Losing Sports Teams, Heavier Fans  (Read 778 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Study: Link Found Between Losing Sports Teams, Heavier Fans
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:45:32 pm »
Science marches on, the idea being that when your team loses, you get depressed, and when you get depressed, well, you stuff your face. Either that or someone had a grant, probably federal, that needed to be burned off.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The results of a new study spell trouble for Minnesota sports fans’ waist lines.

Believe it or not, a study published Monday in a Psychological Science found that after a sports team loses, fans of that team eat 16 percent more saturated fats than they usually do.

Fans of winning teams apparently are getting thinner, too. The study found the winning fans ate 9 percent less saturated fat.

Fans have such a deep attachment to their NFL teams that losing can trigger a food binge, the study said.

However, at the Fan Central booth at the Minnesota State Fair, some Vikings fans don’t buy it.

“I don’t know. The Vikings lost a lot last year and I actually stayed the same weight, so I don’t know if I actually believe it,” Vikings fan Steve Hanson said.

The study says fans after a loss not only eat more, they turn to fatty often fried comfort foods and sweets.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/08/28/study-link-found-between-losing-sports-teams-heavier-fans/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Study: Link Found Between Losing Sports Teams, Heavier Fans
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »

Losing takes its toll.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Study: Link Found Between Losing Sports Teams, Heavier Fans
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:26:49 am »
Could this be a correlation/causation issue?

I know places like Buffalo have very high obesity rates (so much snow in the winter that it's difficult to get around) and also has a pathetic excuse for a pro football team along with a hockey team that the owner promised a Cup but has instead run into the ground.

The most successful teams of late-- Boston comes to mind-- seem to come from healthy, wealthy and wise (OK, Taxachusetts isn't that wise, but still) markets.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024