Author Topic: Where did things go wrong for Miley Cyrus?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Where did things go wrong for Miley Cyrus?
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:03 am »
http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/08/26/where-did-things-go-wrong-for-miley-cyrus/

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM -0700
TheBlaze TV

If you’ve turned on a TV, radio, read a newspaper, got on social media, or basically walked outside, you’ve heard about the Miley Cyrus performance at last night’s MTV VMAs. While most of the media is talking about how “shocking” it was, Glenn took a minute to talk about a different angle — her parents.

“Billy, are you proud?” Glenn asked rhetorically this morning during the radio program. “Did she think that, ‘yep, Dad’s proud. Dad’s proud of me now.’ And was her dad proud?”

Six years ago, when Glenn was on CNN’s Headline News, he interviewed Billy Ray Cyrus about his daughter’s success — at that time she was a rising start among young children on the Disney Channel.

Stu recalled that during the interview, after Glenn asked if he’s worried about Miley becoming the next Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears, Cyrus answered that he tries to be close to his daughter. He tries to be her “best friend”.

“That’s a problem,” Pat stated.

Stu agreed, noting that’s the standard “bad thing” you want to try to avoid to a certain degree. He goes on to note that there must be a hard balance in the entertainment world between trying to raise your child correctly and allowing them to enjoy their success.

“I don’t know how you walk that line,” Stu said.

“You don’t,” Pat replied poignantly.

“That’s why Ron Howard is the exception,” Glenn added, noting that he too struggles to make his children aware of how unusual their lifestyle is compared to most kids.

“I’ve flailing and trying desperately to make sure that they understand that they live a privileged life. But I think I’m failing at that. And it is extraordinarily difficult to do,” he said. “But one thing that you don’t do is hand your kids off to Disney.”

But when Walt Disney was alive, it may have been different, Pat pointed out.

“I don’t think it would have been too bad a thing,” he told Glenn. “It didn’t seem like Annette Funicello went off the deep end.”

The difference is Walt was present. He knew what he wanted his company to represent… and what Miley Cyrus did last night wasn’t it.

“He was shepherding,” Glenn said. “The reason why Rob Howard didn’t go bad is because he had Andy Griffith there. He said Andy Griffith was like a dad to him. The whole time he was counseling him, ‘don’t let this go to your head. Don’t pay attention to that. Don’t listen to any of that.’ So he had that, he still had guidance there. And the same thing if you’re reading about Walt Disney. All of the kids that worked for Walt Disney — he did the same. He didn’t build them into little monsters.”

Looking at Miley’s performance at the VMA’s, it’s clear she doesn’t have that type of strong moral influence in her daily life. Looking back at Glenn’s former interview with Billy Ray Cyrus, it was clear that her odds of avoiding this path were slim to none.

Watch:

Part 2

Instead of a strong father figure to help act as a GPS to guide her in the right directions later in life, she got a ‘buddy’.

So how did Billy Ray react to Miley’s performance? Well…we don’t know for sure, but here’s what he tweeted after her performance:

Billy Ray Cyrus        ✔ @billyraycyrus

Thanking God for so many blessings tonight. Continue to pray for world peace. More love ...less hate.
12:34 AM - 26 Aug 2013

The public didn’t have quite the same reaction. Unlike many performances at the VMAs that have “shocked audiences,” the public and celebrity reaction has been pretty negative. Here’s a small handful of the reaction on Twitter last night.

Kelly Clarkson        ✔ @kelly_clarkson

Just saw a couple performances from the VMA's last night. 2 words.... #pitchystrippers
8:42 AM - 26 Aug 2013

James Van Der Beek        ✔ @vanderjames

Things I learned watching the #VMAs2013: There's nothing you can do with a foam finger that you can't air on MTV.
12:18 AM - 26 Aug 2013

Judd Apatow        ✔ @JuddApatow

I will always have this version of Miley. Let's live in the past and heal. pic.twitter.com/zMsEW2PvfO
9:28 PM - 25 Aug 2013

andyroddick        ✔ @andyroddick

Poor Billy Ray ... pic.twitter.com/TkbTjf7vlR
7:56 PM - 25 Aug 2013

Bill Maher        ✔ @billmaher

Watching VMAs. Haven't been in a strip club in a while, but good to see nothing has changed
6:37 PM - 25 Aug 2013

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM -0700
Get Glenn Live! On TheBlaze TV

If you’ve turned on a TV, radio, read a newspaper, got on social media, or basically walked outside, you’ve heard about the Miley Cyrus performance at last night’s MTV VMAs. While most of the media is talking about how “shocking” it was, Glenn took a minute to talk about a different angle — her parents.

“Billy, are you proud?” Glenn asked rhetorically this morning during the radio program. “Did she think that, ‘yep, Dad’s proud. Dad’s proud of me now.’ And was her dad proud?”

Six years ago, when Glenn was on CNN’s Headline News, he interviewed Billy Ray Cyrus about his daughter’s success — at that time she was a rising start among young children on the Disney Channel.

Stu recalled that during the interview, after Glenn asked if he’s worried about Miley becoming the next Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears, Cyrus answered that he tries to be close to his daughter. He tries to be her “best friend”.

“That’s a problem,” Pat stated.

Stu agreed, noting that’s the standard “bad thing” you want to try to avoid to a certain degree. He goes on to note that there must be a hard balance in the entertainment world between trying to raise your child correctly and allowing them to enjoy their success.

“I don’t know how you walk that line,” Stu said.

“You don’t,” Pat replied poignantly.
Advertisement

“That’s why Ron Howard is the exception,” Glenn added, noting that he too struggles to make his children aware of how unusual their lifestyle is compared to most kids.

“I’ve flailing and trying desperately to make sure that they understand that they live a privileged life. But I think I’m failing at that. And it is extraordinarily difficult to do,” he said. “But one thing that you don’t do is hand your kids off to Disney.”

But when Walt Disney was alive, it may have been different, Pat pointed out.

“I don’t think it would have been too bad a thing,” he told Glenn. “It didn’t seem like Annette Funicello went off the deep end.”

The difference is Walt was present. He knew what he wanted his company to represent… and what Miley Cyrus did last night wasn’t it.

“He was shepherding,” Glenn said. “The reason why Rob Howard didn’t go bad is because he had Andy Griffith there. He said Andy Griffith was like a dad to him. The whole time he was counseling him, ‘don’t let this go to your head. Don’t pay attention to that. Don’t listen to any of that.’ So he had that, he still had guidance there. And the same thing if you’re reading about Walt Disney. All of the kids that worked for Walt Disney — he did the same. He didn’t build them into little monsters.”

Looking at Miley’s performance at the VMA’s, it’s clear she doesn’t have that type of strong moral influence in her daily life. Looking back at Glenn’s former interview with Billy Ray Cyrus, it was clear that her odds of avoiding this path were slim to none.

Watch:

Part 2

Instead of a strong father figure to help act as a GPS to guide her in the right directions later in life, she got a ‘buddy’.

So how did Billy Ray react to Miley’s performance? Well…we don’t know for sure, but here’s what he tweeted after her performance:

The public didn’t have quite the same reaction. Unlike many performances at the VMAs that have “shocked audiences,” the public and celebrity reaction has been pretty negative. Here’s a small handful of the reaction on Twitter last night.

Just to put things in further perspective, TheBlaze’s latest addition to the digital team may have summed up what happened on stage best when he said:
Steve Krakauer @SteveKrak

Miley Cyrus was born in 1992. She cannot begin legally consuming alcohol until November. Robin Thicke is 36. He has a 3-year-old son.
6:45 PM - 25 Aug 2013

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Re: Where did things go wrong for Miley Cyrus?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:05 am »
tragic

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:45 pm »
I had the misfortune to watch a few of the Disney shows a few years back when our nieces stayed with us while their parents were out of town. Miley's show was one of them, but they all followed a basic format:  wisecracking, exceedingly hip and stylish teens regularly and repeatedly show up their idiot parents, teachers and other adults. The writing was horrible and the acting even worse.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:57:22 pm »
We've come a long way since the Mickey Mouse Club.  As a child, I used to LIVE for that show.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:46:08 pm »
One of the talking heads this morning made the analogy that she is trying to prove she is "grown up".

I'm thinking that both Miley Cyrus and the talking head need to look up the definition of grown up.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:19:26 pm »
I'm thinking that both Miley Cyrus and the talking head need to look up the definition of grown up.

Maybe Miley's using the definition she was raised with...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:59:28 pm »
One of the talking heads this morning made the analogy that she is trying to prove she is "grown up".

I can understand wanting to shake the teen image to open up new career doors, but this not how to do it. I think this performance slamms far more  doors shut on her than will be opened.   Hollywood is full of examples of how it’s done right going back to Mickey Rooney and Liz Taylor to more recent teen stars like Anne Hathaway.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:52:19 pm »
Just a passing thought but am I the only one who thinks she's not all that hot anyway?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:02:16 pm »
Just a passing thought but am I the only one who thinks she's not all that hot anyway?

I've never heard her sing (watched her MTV garbage with the sound off), but she really can't dance very well & she's built like a boy - no curves at all.  The way she had her hair.....not my definition of what I think a straight man would think of as "hot". 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »
Precisely: ...she really can't dance very well & she's built like a boy - no curves at all.  The way she had her hair.....not my definition of what I think a straight man would think of as "hot". 
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams