Author Topic: White House Had Advance Notice on Heathrow Detention [Now, it's personal!]  (Read 1100 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
White House Had Advance Notice on Heathrow Detention

The White House was given advance notice of the British government’s plans to detain the partner of the Guardian reporter who has written a series of high-profile stories about U.S. surveillance practices, a spokesman said Monday.

In the daily White House  briefing, spokesman Josh Earnest declined to condemn the detainment and didn’t directly answer questions about whether U.S. officials expressed any concern to their British counterparts about the U.K.’s plans.

“This was something we had an indication was likely to occur,” Mr. Earnest said. “But it’s not something we requested.”

more at:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/19/white-house-had-advance-notice-on-heathrow-detention/?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

“This was something we had an indication was likely to occur,” Mr. Earnest said. “But it’s not something we requested.”

Oh I would definitely believe a White house spokesman.

Wouldn't you?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

I think the White House demonstrates intolerance toward gays. For shame.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

Ri-i-i-i-ght.

So the Brits call up, say "hey, this chump's partner is coming through Heathrow, you want us to detain him?"

Obama:  silence

That's all the Brits needed to hear - nothing, no objection to the planned detention.

Obama consented to, approved of, and ratified this detention, notwithstanding that he, or whomever answered the phone, didn't actually say "yes."

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That's all the Brits needed to hear - nothing, no objection to the planned detention.

Obama consented to, approved of, and ratified this detention, notwithstanding that he, or whomever answered the phone, didn't actually say "yes."

Woah there, my friend. That is insulting.

You forgetting Snowden/Grunwald also blew the lid off our far more extensive spying program? That caused annoyance with our PTB. No need for Obama's permission.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Woah there, my friend. That is insulting.

You forgetting Snowden/Grunwald also blew the lid off our far more extensive spying program? That caused annoyance with our PTB. No need for Obama's permission.

With all due respect to the UK, I don't think the UK are the US' lackies or lapdogs; however, if - I stress if - there was coordination between the US and the UK - the UK being the only party in position to act - then the UK would not have needed some sort of affirmative agreement with the US to conclude that there was, in fact, agreement.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
With all due respect to the UK, I don't think the UK are the US' lackies or lapdogs; however, if - I stress if - there was coordination between the US and the UK - the UK being the only party in position to act - then the UK would not have needed some sort of affirmative agreement with the US to conclude that there was, in fact, agreement.

Fair enough. I read your comment when I had just woken.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink