Author Topic: OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?  (Read 4057 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9m6KzRMWnA

An inside look....and what to expect...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I absolutely LOVED this movie....a movie you will watch again and again.   Believe me!

It will be better the 2nd and 3rd time you watch it.

It's a 'thinking person's' movie.  LOL!

WARNING!!! - spoilers may follow in any ensuing discussions.  See it first!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:33:20 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:44 pm »
It virtually impossible for me to write a summary of the movie or discuss this film with anybody that hasn't seen it.

Too many spoilers needed to reveal....to give a review justice.

But trust me....you WILL BE HOOKED!    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »
It virtually impossible for me to write a summary of the movie or discuss this film with anybody that hasn't seen it.

I might well have to check it out. Good films have been few and far between this year.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:12:08 pm »
I might well have to check it out. Good films have been few and far between this year.

You will not be disappointed...except when it's over, you'll likely want/need to see it again to answer the questions you'll undoubtedly have.     :laugh:

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »
Just as an aside - I'm not trying to be a buzz-buster - but it's nice to see how much gun violence the gun-control freaks in Hollywood are willing to pimp out for the sake of a few dollars.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 02:11:45 pm »

Hate to disagree, but I wasn't impressed. Found the special effects outstanding, but I found it to be slow,and tedious. Couldn't wait for it to end.  :shrug:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:47:38 pm »
Hate to disagree, but I wasn't impressed. Found the special effects outstanding, but I found it to be slow,and tedious. Couldn't wait for it to end. :shrug:

That's quite alright....but you should know that there is a medication for that!   {{{just kidding}}}

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRywL8RKIQE

Amazing soundtrack in this film.....just one here.

WARNING:   Never drive your vehicle on a multi-lane highway listening to this.....especially one that is heavily patrolled.   :beer:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:31:31 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:40:44 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_MPF3JRyOA

Nothing would be better....IMHO...than to have all my friends here watch this movie....and then we could have one helluva lot of fun discussing it.

NOTHING!    :laugh:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:57:41 pm »
It is on PPV already.........  must have really bombed at the boxoffice to be on TV so soon..., debating whether to watch it
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:04:56 pm »
It is on PPV already.........  must have really bombed at the boxoffice to be on TV so soon..., debating whether to watch it

You will love it.   Grab a glass of wine and turn your speakers up.  The story...the twists...the visuals...and not in the least...the wonderful music score.

Rap....watch it tonight.   We'll be up all night talking about it.   LOL!

Here's the link to the complete score: 

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7F77836665D1975E

The music itself is worth it.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »

It opened in April.   Heck...there are newer movies than that out there too.

You can buy it for the price of an IMAX ticket.   It's a steal!   

You will watch it more than once. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »
You will love it.   Grab a glass of wine and turn your speakers up.  The story...the twists...the visuals...and not in the least...the wonderful music score.

Rap....watch it tonight.   We'll be up all night talking about it.   LOL!

Here's the link to the complete score: 

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7F77836665D1975E

The music itself is worth it.

~LOL~ I have to work, DC.... wish I could just kick back.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 03:33:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGNQ2v9DA4

Tremendous score!  Starwaves

This music play during the sensual swimming pool scene, where Jack and Vicka relax after Jack's typical day...LOL!

She's very sexy.

"I'll show YOU something....."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:16:40 am by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0i60jRkQH0&list=PLqQ3hwjp9yWgKGaDnAzDNz9_viy1ZBn_I

For all those out there with varying degrees of ADD....here's a good 10 minute preview.

Love the haunting sound of that beacon...and of course the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:19:43 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:32 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5pIsflvS0

A great driving song starts at 10:36.....to give you some idea of the excitement!

I suspect that the reason the movie may have gone to PPV is because of the negative publicity toward Tom Cruise.  That's unfortuate, IMO, because this film is magnificently filmed.

THE SKY TOWER SET

This was a real set...of course on ground level, but it was all real....the co-star wanted to live there forever.  No blue screen....the windows are screens depicting the countless hours of constant filming at a volcano.  So the sunsets are real and the brightness of the 'clouds' serves as fill-in lighting.

It's gorgeous!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:13:42 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 10:09:03 pm »

I WANT ONE!!!!!         8888crybaby

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 10:10:10 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 10:54:35 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEYAP2t9FQ

If this movie does not win at least the Oscar for best soundtrack it will be a crime.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 11:51:52 pm »
I found it impossible to follow. My wife who gets into sci-fi far more than me had to help clear up the confusing plot for me on the drive home.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

famousdayandyear

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 12:07:55 am »
Looked up casting.  Morgan Freeman?  No thanks.  Pass.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 12:10:32 am »
I found it impossible to follow. My wife who gets into sci-fi far more than me had to help clear up the confusing plot for me on the drive home.

I can't stand it!   LOL!

Can you imagine how the Russian girl that Jack brings back to the Sky Tower feels when she's looking at Jack while she's laying there?

She at first thinks she's looking at her husband who was the commander of the space module which he....at the last moment decided to un-hitch from his capsule....and place into a SIXTY YEAR ORBIT!!

But she thinks that Jack is her husband because IT'S A CLONE!   Jack is TECH 49.

Anyway, you're laying there thinking...okay, my husband and me were lucky to survive.  She thinks it's still 2017.   NOT 2077.

Is that clear?

And then discovers TECH 52 is another clone of him.   And he's got a Victoria too!  THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF THEM.

All made from the Russian girls pilot husband.  The only other person in the cockpit part of the capsule was the original Victoria.

THE ALIEN produced thousands of clones from those two people and created "teams" that protected their water converting machines from scavengers.

.....who aren't scavengers at all.

It's an amazing story.

I've been wondering if there was a clone of 'you'....would it experience strange dreams because every conscious thought is implanted in your DNA string?

Would 'they' actually have dreams of your dreams of that Super Bowl experience?  That moment you met your wife?  The way she looked?  It really profound....because

.....there's a TECH 52, TECH 55....and so on and so on..

They were told not to veer off into the 'red zone' or they could die from radiation.  So....SALLY controlled everything from the temp ship.

Sally was amazing....her friendly Southern mannerisms.   She asks the question..."You ARE and EFFECTIVE team??"  in an accusatory style. 

She's not human...she's a machine.

They used the clones because they didn't want to come down to the surface....or because it was all computer controlled.

The drones steal the show....the audio amazing.  I turn my speakers up as it is because of my severe tinnitus...but I loved it.

A key item in the movie is that book that is there plain as day when Jack descends into the sinkhole....which is the New York Library btw....the book is directly at his feet.  He picks it up later on the way out.

Watch it again, Navy.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:01:11 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:48 am »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:14 pm »
Yea, DC that's pretty much how my wife explained it on the way home, and I still don't get it.. She wants to watch it again at home on-demand, but I bet you to me it still doesn't make sense,  a  2nd time, 3rd, or 30th time.

But what I really don't get is she finds some of the best classics immposible to watch, like The African Queen,  It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Roberts. She finds them boring.....

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »
Yea, DC that's pretty much how my wife explained it on the way home, and I still don't get it.. She wants to watch it again at home on-demand, but I bet you to me it still doesn't make sense,  a  2nd time, 3rd, or 30th time.

But what I really don't get is she finds some of the best classics immposible to watch, like The African Queen,  It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Roberts. She finds them boring.....

Interesting, I'd rather watch the old movies.. more and more these days I gravitate to the older stuff.