Author Topic: Video Shows Victims of Suspected Syrian Chemical Attack  (Read 3092 times)

Offline happyg

Video Shows Victims of Suspected Syrian Chemical Attack
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:20:40 pm »
There are nine ghastly videos at the link. So sickening: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/video-and-images-of-victims-of-suspected-syrian-chemical-attack/?smid=tw-nytimes

Last Updated, 5:40 p.m. | As my colleagues Ben Hubbard and Hwaida Saad report from Beirut, antigovernment activists accused the Syrian government of deploying chemical weapons in a string of towns in the rebellious countryside east of the capital, Damascus, on Wednesday, killing hundreds of men, women and children.

Rebels claimed that victims of the attack, shown in dozens of video clips, were killed by chemical weapons, just days after United Nations inspectors arrived in the country to investigate previous attacks said to have involved poison gas. Syria’s government called the accusations “false and untrue” and a spokesman told the state news agency President Bashar al-Assad’s forces “will never use any weapons of mass destruction against its own people, if such weapons exist.”

While the veracity of each side’s claims could not be independently established, visual evidence uploaded to YouTube makes it clear that a large number of civilians were killed on Wednesday, including women, children and the elderly. What remained unclear was how they died, and whether they were victims of a conventional chemical agent, like sarin or mustard gas, or if their deaths might have been caused by the use of a weaker agent in a confined space.

Video produced by The Times examined the debate about what kind of weapon could have caused death on the scale seen in Eastern Ghouta on Wednesday.

Video shared online shows graphic images of dozens of dead people, including women and a large number of young children, including babies in diapers, most of whom were said to have suffocated. All of the video has been posted by YouTube accounts affiliated with rebels and activists in towns in the Eastern Ghouta region, including Erbeen, Kafr Batna, Saqba and Jisreen.

One clip posted on a channel affiliated with activists in Kafr Batna showed the bodies of a group of men, women and young children, including a baby in a diaper, all lying on the floor of a room. The cameraman, sobbing, said that the dead were all members of one family. Outside the room, a dimly lighted hallway was also lined with dead bodies.

Another video clip uploaded to the same channel showed a room filled with the bodies of dozens of people killed in what the cameraman called, “a new massacre in Kafr Batna.” The dead included a large number of young children. Many of the bodies are shown with their shirts lifted up to expose bare stomachs and chests, and none appear to have bled or to have sustained bodily injuries, further suggesting that suffocation was the cause of death.

Bambuser, a Web site that enables users to stream live video from their phones, posted an alert to Twitter on Wednesday that one of its users in the town of Douma posted live video of victims from the attacks in Eastern Ghouta. The graphic video shows rows of dead bodies wrapped in white shrouds.

Activists in the town of Erbeen uploaded video showing similar images: a room filled with dozens of bodies covered in sheets and blankets, slabs of melting ice balanced on their chests to fend off decomposition. The cameraman said there were more than 40 dead in the room, including a number of young boys whose bodies were in a row.

The Erbeen revels also released video that showed doctors attempting to treat children in a clinic. In the clips, one doctor pressed a manual respirator against the mouth of a boy who appeared to be nonresponsive, while a second doctor prepared to give a second child an injection. The second child appeared to barely respond, and his lips were a deep shade of blue.

Rebels in the town of Jobar uploaded video of a doctor describing his experience treating many of the dead and injured Wednesday, and his description seemed to suggest that the initial assessments of chemical weapons experts may indeed be accurate. The doctor, who did not state his name, said that many of the dead hid in their basements during the attack, unaware that chemical agents are more dense than air and therefore are more concentrated and powerful in enclosed, low-lying spaces.

Opposition activists added English subtitles to a copy of the video with the doctor’s account.

“The negative thing that happened was dealing randomly with the matter and the poor education of citizens,” the doctor said. “The gas loses its effect after half an hour, but unfortunately citizens hid in basements although the gas is heavy and it comes down to basements. This increased the damages and the number of injuries. With the descending of the citizens to the basements, the number of injuries and martyrs increased.”

It is customary in the Islamic faith to bury the dead within 24 hours of their passing, and so by Wednesday afternoon many residents of Eastern Ghouta were faced with the grim task of identifying and burying the dead.

Ugarit News, an antigovernment group, posted video to YouTube that shows a woman collecting the body of a dead child, it small body covered in a white shroud and lined up in a row of bodies on the floor of a shaded outdoor patio. In shock, the woman remained silent throughout the video, while a man firmly held her upper arms and eventually lead her away.

The task of burying the dead was made harder still by the scale of the killings, and by the fact that the deaths appeared to have been caused by exposure to chemicals whose effects were both frightening and not well understood. Shams News Network, another antigovernment group, posted video to YouTube that showed at least seven victims being buried in a mass grave in the town of Erbeen. A man stood over the open pit and gave an angry sermon, holding aloft a Quran and covering his face.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Video Shows Victims of Suspected Syrian Chemical Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »

I was dead right about Benghazi...and what transpired.   What I wasn't sure about was exactly what changed hands.

We've heard it's 400 missing SAM missiles and other assorted weapons...but what if it was chemical weapons?  And that's why the Obama and Clinton duo could NOT let that out and allowed all those people to die.

I sincerely hope that if any of the survivors of that attack have knowledge of this, that despite having signed non-disclosure agreements, they would turn whistleblower. 

There MUST be somebody in the Senate that could confront the Administration...and Clinton if it comes to it.

Am very concerned that this is all Obama....doing everything possible to counter what just happened in Egypt.   He's trying his own Gulf of Tonkin....a reason to sig the American military on Assad.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »
I'm with you, DC! I couldn't watch all the videos. It's almost incomprehensible to me that anyone could kill one person, let alone hundreds, including children and babies, in such a horrific way. Obama doesn't care, and goes about having a good time, as though all is well with they world. It's those nasty conservatives he worries about.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:16 pm »
It makes no sense for Assad to use chemical weapons.  Not only is the UN there right now, but he is winning.  In a war of attrition, Assad holds all the cards.  With his air force, tanks, and artillery, he can simply pound the enemy into submission.

The only way he'd use chemical weapons is as a last resort.

Also, does anyone think that every chemical weapon's site isn't being monitored 24/7 by the NRO, European and Russian spy satellites, Israel, etc?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:42:21 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:51 am »
It makes no sense for Assad to use chemical weapons.  Not only is the UN there right now, but he is winning.  In a war of attrition, Assad holds all the cards.  With his air force, tanks, and artillery, he can simply pound the enemy into submission.

The only way he'd use chemical weapons is as a last resort.

Also, does anyone think that every chemical weapon's site isn't being monitored 24/7 by the NRO, European and Russian spy satellites, Israel, etc?

I think the Rebels are the ones who did it.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:01:56 am »
Ditto.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:08:40 am »
Ditto.

For the record I'm not a fan of either side.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:11:53 am »
[[ I sincerely hope that if any of the survivors of that attack have knowledge of this, that despite having signed non-disclosure agreements, they would turn whistleblower. ]]

There are too many "who know".

They can't keep the lid on this forever.

I sense that Hillary has much more of a stake in keeping the truth hidden, than does Obama. His attitude is, "you can't touch me!". And he's right.

But this could torpedo Hillary's chances to become president and re-install the Clintons back into the White House for eight more years.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:19 am »
[[ I sincerely hope that if any of the survivors of that attack have knowledge of this, that despite having signed non-disclosure agreements, they would turn whistleblower. ]]

There are too many "who know".

They can't keep the lid on this forever.

I sense that Hillary has much more of a stake in keeping the truth hidden, than does Obama. His attitude is, "you can't touch me!". And he's right.

But this could torpedo Hillary's chances to become president and re-install the Clintons back into the White House for eight more years.

I don't think that Hillary is really a shoo in. A lot of Rats don't like her.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50:51 am »
Additionally, Putin is waist-deep in Syria and he's not going to put with this.

He 'knows' it was the rebels....just like we all know it was the rebels.

But in my cynical age, there are no coincidences here....the timing of the attack on a town nobody's ever heard of?

The day before Mubarak transfers from jail to 'house arrest' [protection]? 

You don't think General Sissi is going to let the MB do to Mubarak what they did to Anwar Sadat?  Not under his watch.

It will be interesting to see if the people would accept Mubarak back in power though....I doubt it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Offline happyg

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 02:31:42 pm »
There are no words to actually describe the deliberate destruction of men, women, and children. I wonder if something like that will happen here? It seems to be likely, unless we get new leadership.

On the other hand, I find the bravery of those aiding the injured, amazing. They are all susceptible to the same chemicals, yet they continue to help their fellow citizens.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »
Can we categorically dismiss the notion that this "gas attack" PR campaign is being instigated by our CIA?  The answer is no.  And that is what disturbs me the most about this whole business.  The American people are completely in the dark, and intentionally kept that way by their government and its complicit MSM.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 02:56:31 pm »
Can we categorically dismiss the notion that this "gas attack" PR campaign is being instigated by our CIA?  The answer is no.  And that is what disturbs me the most about this whole business.  The American people are completely in the dark, and intentionally kept that way by their government and its complicit MSM.

Exactly.

Wasn't it just the other day it was divulged/acknowledged that our CIA was up to their necks with involvement in the 1953 Iranian revolt?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:56:57 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 03:05:39 pm »

Barry is being pressured to move against Syria as a proxy for an attack on Iran.  To the extent that he complies, his 'scandal' problems will be minimized.  To the extent he doesn't, they will grow.

Look beyond the CIA and Obama...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:06:41 pm »

Agree.  And could we please stop calling them "rebels". 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »
The American people are completely in the dark, and intentionally kept that way by their government and its complicit MSM.
There was a time, long time ago, when reporters actually asked questions and looked at the government and its agencies with skepticism.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 11:00:29 pm »
CIA admits role in 1953 Iranian coup

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/19/cia-admits-role-1953-iranian-coup?CMP=twt_gu

That was a very poorly kept secret.  Everyone knew that the CIA and MI6 were behind the coup.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 01:22:37 pm »
That was a very poorly kept secret.  Everyone knew that the CIA and MI6 were behind the coup.

Oh, they may have orchestrated the coup but I doubt they were behind it.

We need to learn to look beyond the obvious answers.

Those are the ones you're supposed to believe...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan