Author Topic: Egypt court orders Mubarak’s release, officials say  (Read 294 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline flowers

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 18,338
Egypt court orders Mubarak’s release, officials say
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
CAIRO (AP) — Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is on retrial for the killings of hundreds of protesters during the 2011 uprising that led to his ouster, could be released from custody later this week, judicial officials said Monday.

The officials said there were no longer any grounds to hold the 85-year-old former autocrat because of the expiration of a two-year legal limit for holding an individual in custody pending a final verdict.

Mubarak has been in detention since April 2011. He was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison in June last year for his failure to stop the killing of some 900 protesters in the 18-day uprising against his rule. His sentence was overturned on appeal and he is now being retried, along with his security chief and six top police commanders.

Monday’s stunning announcement came as security forces said suspected Islamic militants ambushed two mini-buses carrying off-duty policemen in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, forcing the men out onto the pavement and shooting 25 of them dead. The brazen daylight attack deepened the turmoil roiling the country and underscored the volatility of the strategic region.

LOL I bet White House not pleased by this turn of events!!!!!! :patriot:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo