Author Topic: Rep. Trey Gowdy: Lawmakers Not Told Of 1000s Of NSA Privacy Violations, “I’m Worried About The Republic”  (Read 1241 times)

famousdayandyear

http://weaselzippers.us/

Rep. Trey Gowdy: Lawmakers Not Told Of 1000s Of NSA Privacy Violations, “I’m Worried About The Republic”

He gets the seriousness of where we are at. If only we could clone Gowdy and Ted Cruz, and elect them in every district…

Via The Hill:

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said late Friday that he doubts that members of Congress were briefed on the on the several thousands of privacy violations carried out by the National Security Agency (NSA) that were revealed earlier this week.

An internal NSA audit and other documents leaked by Edward Snowden revealed that the agency had broken its own privacy rules and violated privacy rights of citizens thousands of times since 2008, according to The Washington Post.

“I wonder how many of my colleagues in Congress were briefed that there were thousands of errors made with respect to this program, because I have a sneaking suspicion the number is zero,” said Gowdy on Fox News.

“That’s how many of my colleagues were told ahead of time before we had to learn from a leaker to a newspaper that there were thousands of violations.”

Many members of Congress, including Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who is charged with overseeing the NSA, have said they were not made aware of the audit until recently.

And Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) has called for a hearing on the matter when Congress returns next month.

Gowdy said he’s been hearing a great roar of dissatisfaction and distrust from voters in his South Carolina district, and that Congress needs to take serious steps to fix its oversight capabilities of highly secretive intelligence operations, like those carried out by the NSA.

“If we don’t get that figured out, I’m not worried about winning elections, I’m worried about the republic,” said Gowdy. “People who are governed have consented to be governed [and] have to have trust in the people we have put in positions of responsibility.”

Offline happyg

I really like Gowdy. He doesn't mince words, and can think on his feet. And, I'm worried about the republic, as well. I wish the GOP felt the same way. Then, they might do something productive.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I really like Gowdy. He doesn't mince words, and can think on his feet. And, I'm worried about the republic, as well. I wish the GOP felt the same way. Then, they might do something productive.

The GOP is too busy letting the Democrats tell them how to win the next elections! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

famousdayandyear

The GOP is too busy letting the Democrats tell them how to win the next elections! 

That right there is too true to be laugh out loud funny. :thud:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
That right there is too true to be laugh out loud funny. :thud:

The jokes just write themselves.  You can't make this stuff up. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

He's just starting to get worried about the republic?  He's a bit slow.

famousdayandyear

He's just starting to get worried about the republic?  He's a bit slow.

No, Trey Gowdy is not slow.  In fact, he's got the balls to actually SPEAK OUT LOUD about all our worries about the republic.  One of a handful.  And THANK GOD for him.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Who do you believe is leading the charges against the NSA?  Obama?