Author Topic: Punkin Limbaugh, RIP  (Read 2834 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Punkin Limbaugh, RIP
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:10 pm »
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/08/16/punkin_limbaugh_rip

Punkin Limbaugh, RIP
August 16, 2013

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I've got people e-mailing me about Punkin, my cat, and I would not have been able to describe this or tell you about this any earlier than today literally without losing it, but we had to put Punkin to sleep a week ago.  She was 16 years old, and the first cat that I'd ever had, and ended up being the best pet that I've ever had.  I'd always thought that cats were these aloof creatures that couldn't care less if you were around or not.

And to strangers and so forth, they might be.  But when a cat attaches to you, some might say when a cat loves you, it's entirely different.  This cat attached to me years ago and was everywhere I was.  This cat followed me around and just had just a robust personality with me, but she had kidney failure.  She's actually had it for 10 years, and she had built up an immunity to every antibiotic. It had stopped working. (sigh)

I guess two weeks ago, whatever you call it, dramatic acute kidney failure set in and she stopped eating. Because when the kidneys fail, somehow the vet said the body tells them that food is poison because it can't be dealt with by the kidney. They stop eating, and she was literally withering away before my eyes.  But she was... I mean, these animals, you know, they never give up.  Suicide is not in their makeup.

It was one of the hardest things that I've had to do. Last weekend was really sad and lonely, and I wouldn't have been able to tell you about this on Monday without breaking up.  But a lot of people have been asking because I had mentioned that she was not well, so I wanted to mention it to you and thank all of you for asking.  I appreciate it.  You all know. Those of you who have animals and lose them, you know what it's like.

END TRANSCRIPT
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Punkin Limbaugh, RIP
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »

sniff.......             8888crybaby
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:17:34 pm »
Oh my.  I think I loved Punkin as much as Rush; I remember when he got her, and then those big ole wooly dawgs....and I wondered how she would manage.  But she did.  Sorry to hear, Rush.  That's such a heartbreaking hard thing to have to do. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:17:19 am »
In my cat rescue work I have to deal with city shelters that euthanize due to space limitations. My group tries to save as many cats as we can -- but our space and volunteer force is limited.  We try to find fosters or space at other no-kill shelters in the area.  But then we run up against the same damn problem: space limitation, not enough people to adopt or fosters to care for the animals until they can be adopted.  And so the cats die.  As many as 50 a day at city shelters.

I try not to think about it.  Because when I do, I break down. The cats need us, and we're failing them.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:27:49 am »
In my cat rescue work I have to deal with city shelters that euthanize due to space limitations. My group tries to save as many cats as we can -- but our space and volunteer force is limited.  We try to find fosters or space at other no-kill shelters in the area.  But then we run up against the same damn problem: space limitation, not enough people to adopt or fosters to care for the animals until they can be adopted.  And so the cats die.  As many as 50 a day at city shelters.

I try not to think about it.  Because when I do, I break down. The cats need us, and we're failing them.

I don't know how you do that wonderful rescue work.  And applaud you....I am way too weak and I know it would kill me with emotional every day.  Two years ago, I was attacked by a feral cat in my backyard and had to set a trap.  Even though this was an older cat who probably could never be social with humans, it was a terrible experience.

I do hope Rush would consider adopting a kitten from his shelter there in Palm Beach.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:53:27 am »
Thanks, famous.  If only every cat lover would adopt one cat (and spay/neuter, of course) we could make the problem of cat overpopulation go away. It breaks my heart to see these beautiful, loving creatures destroyed. I just try to focus on the ones we can save and try not to feel overwhelmed by the enormity of the problem. Thank God for dedicated volunteers. Some of my colleagues are amazing. You would not believe how much of their time and money they give for the cats. They are true saviors.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:05:39 am »
Thanks, famous.  If only every cat lover would adopt one cat (and spay/neuter, of course) we could make the problem of cat overpopulation go away. It breaks my heart to see these beautiful, loving creatures destroyed. I just try to focus on the ones we can save and try not to feel overwhelmed by the enormity of the problem. Thank God for dedicated volunteers. Some of my colleagues are amazing. You would not believe how much of their time and money they give for the cats. They are true saviors.

My Tramp is a rescue from the NC mountains--he's 12.  More dog personality but a great cat.
My first, Dodge City, lived to be 18+ but she suffered from the same symptoms Rush described. On that final fatal trip to the vet, I bought her a Double Cheeseburger from McD's.  She was so hungry but couldn't keep anything done.  Crazy, huh

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:14:24 am »
I cried when I heard Rush tell about Punkin.  I currently have six cats - but I have had up to twelve at one time.  I couldn't tell you how many cats I've taken in over the last 40 years - probably close to thirty.  The oldest one I had lived to be 20 years old.  Five of the six I have now came from the same litter - they are all twelve years old - starting to get old.  You're still never prepared when they start to go.

A poignant story of one cat we had.  One day I was going to work and there was a terrible rainstorm going on with thunder & lightning.  As I'm getting in the car, I hear the faint meow of a cat over the sound of the wind, obviously in distress.  I'm walking around in this rain & thunder & I realize it's coming from a large oak tree in the woods at the edge of our property.  Standing at the base of the tree, I can hear a cat crying way up in the tree - but I can't see it & the rain is just drowning me. 

Late for work already, I run inside & tell my husband what I heard.  I dry off & go on to work.  When I come home that night, sitting in my husband's lap is a little gray tabby kitten.  He had gone out in that storm, put a METAL ladder up to that tree, and went up there & rescued the little thing!  We named him Butchy and he was with us for fourteen years.

Two years ago he died.  There was a hollow at the base of that big tree (think Keebler Elves) and my husband buried Butchy in that hollow.  It has since grown closed.  We call it Butchy's tree.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 03:35:04 am »
Jes thinkin' . . .what we need is a CAT-egory

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:04 am »
My girlfriend is an apprentice cat lady.

She had been feeding a feral colony that roamed her company's lot up against the tall weeds...by the dumpster.

She had given them names and taken pics of them.  Some would let her pet them.

The non-profit leadership changed and the cats became public enemy #1.   She was told she had so many days to round them up or they were calling the county to deal with them.

She was able to grab two....that had trusted her.

She took them to the shelter and we all know what happened next.   She's still crying whenever she thinks about it.

How they rationalize being dead as being better off than living in the wild is beyond me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:01:10 am »
DC, problem is feral cats are more subject to rabies, as well as contagious feline diseases which can be fatal to a domestic cat if there is an aggressive encounter.  A feline-type AIDS infection, for instance.  Around this area, there are groups that trap feral cat and some vets volunteer to spay or neuter before releasing them back into the wild--if they cannot be socialized.  Sad situation.

Often people adopt cats, then do not have them "fixed" -- then when there is an unwanted litter, they put the kittens out somewhere if not adopted.  And the cruelty goes on and on.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:09 am »
Our cats are all ex-ferals.

Fleabag was a 4 day old kitten. His mother was feral, lived in our shed and was killed by a fox. He was the only survivor of his litter. Wild as hell when we got him, now he sleeps on the bed with us and weighs in at an impressive 14 lbs.

Brainless - may she rest in peace - just walked in through the cat flap one day. Heavily pregnant and starving. We figure, from the timing, that she had belonged to an old guy two streets over who had died (It's that sort of neighborhood, you always know who is dead). Three days after she arrived she gave birth to one kitten. Nameless. He's a holy terror  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 04:12:27 am »
We live out in an area where people dump cats and dogs.  I hope there is a special wing in Hell where God "dumps" people that do that. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:25:51 am »
My rescue, Rubis, is now 21.5 years old.

Whenever I'm watching television, he wants to be in my lap getting his head rubbed ...or just to fall asleep.

He can hardly walk...he has quite a limp.  But he eats 3 cans of Fancy Feast a day and his kidneys are still functioning.

...and he still uses his litter box.

If I could find another gentle creature like this...without claws, I'd take one in right now.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:48:59 am »
I love you guys for loving cats.

Humans domesticated them so it's up to us to care for every last innocent one.

Rescue cats are often sick -- URIs, UTIs, FIV/FeLV, FH -- but always their cat nature comes through.  By the way, cats with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus live perfectly normal lives in any household.

Allow me to generalize an observation. Cat lovers are gentle souls; it's rare for a person who loves cats to have a violent nature.  It is common, however, to find a subset among dog lovers who are violent and who glorify violence. You find them in the inner cities, gang bangers with their spike-collared pit bulls on heavy chains, who sic their dogs on their foes.  And they're found world wide.  Those that engage in the bloodsport of dogfighting.  Dogs specifically bread, conditioned, and trained to fight.  Often with thousands of dollars riding.  How sick is that?

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »
What a great thread!  THIS cat  888catlicking lover, and owner of rescues, thanks you all for sharing in the kitty love.  :grouphug:

Love,

Lip 888catbed stick

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »
You're good peeps, Lipstick! There's a special place in heaven for those who rescue animals.   :bighug:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 01:27:27 pm »
My wife and I long ago decided only to adopt rescue animals, and I would recommend the practice to anyone who loves them as much as we do. 

Currently, we have a cat (Mumbles) who was found abandoned in a warehouse -she's two years old and a sweet little thing. Our dog (who we also rescued) died earlier this year, and my heart goes out to Rush because that was without a doubt, one of the saddest days of my life.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
Thank you AC, and welcome back.  We missed you!  :patriot:

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:18 pm »
 8888crybaby

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 04:57:36 pm »
I remember when Rush was still married to Marta, he would post kitten pics of Punkin and her litter mate (who I am assuming Marta took when they were divorced) up on his website.  I used to love those kitty pics, and emailed encouragement to him to keep posting them, which he did.

888catbed