Author Topic: Cation: Lots Of Whining! PC Shutdown Problems  (Read 3041 times)

Offline mrclose

Cation: Lots Of Whining! PC Shutdown Problems
« on: August 17, 2013, 03:52:08 am »
Warning The following contains it's share of whining and lots of rambling!

Begin Ramblings--->I have been having problems with my pc pertaining to sleep mode and regular shutdowns.

The pc is a Vista 64BIT home professional.

Sometimes, I will put my pc in sleep mode, sometimes I allow it to sleep automatically.

Sometimes I'll do a normal power off.

Regardless of How it goes to sleep or when I power off .. the monitor will shut off but the pc itself will continue to run and run and run!<--Whine

Nothing I do will bring the monitor back up to see what is going on.<--Whine

I have to do a hard power off (hold down the power button) to shut the pc down.<--Whine

Upon restart I always get a long loading screen 'until' the message "Your computer could not start normally, would you like to do a restore"?

After running in restore mode for twenty minuets 'another' message comes up which reads:

The exception unknown software (Oxc0000005) exception occurred in the application location OX10011311

click okay to terminate the program

(In the above .. I can't be sure if those are zeros or letters)

After all this .. the pc will finally get to the welcome screen.<---Whine

Now what comes next makes me think that the problem is in my Comodo internet security premium software!

This problem started around the time I installed the Comodo software .. weeks ago.

Every time I go through the above steps and terminate the unknown software and return to the desktop .. I get the message that my pc might be at risk (Comodo message) and I have to update the Signature base. Everytime!<--Whine

Could that above unknown software be part of the Comodo software which in turn causes the problem?

If so .. Maybe I should get rid of Comodo 'because' .. All I am doing is reloading the problematic unknown software (Signature definitions)?

The problem doesn't happen All the time but enough that I want to Whine a lot about it!

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!/<--Whine /Rambling
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Oceander

Re: Cation: Lots Of Whining! PC Shutdown Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:18:45 am »
1)  Those are zeroes, not the letter 'o' - they are numbers written in hexadecimal format (which uses the numerals 0-9, a, b, c, d, e, f).  I won't bore you with any more trivia about hexadecimal numbers.

2)  There's a decent likelihood that the error is being caused by the Comodo software, which is probably interacting badly with some sort of a flaw, error, or incompatibility with either the Vista OS or the underlying hardware.  Uninstall the Comodo software and then try to start it up and go through the same steps that cause the error - just don't connect it to the internet while it doesn't have any antivirus software on it!

3)  The error message isn't referring to some software that is unknown, but rather it's saying that it doesn't recognize the type of error generated by a particular piece of software.

4)  Do you happen to have an HP printer attached to the computer?

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:17:56 am »
1)  Those are zeroes, not the letter 'o' - they are numbers written in hexadecimal format (which uses the numerals 0-9, a, b, c, d, e, f).  I won't bore you with any more trivia about hexadecimal numbers.

2)  There's a decent likelihood that the error is being caused by the Comodo software, which is probably interacting badly with some sort of a flaw, error, or incompatibility with either the Vista OS or the underlying hardware.  Uninstall the Comodo software and then try to start it up and go through the same steps that cause the error - just don't connect it to the internet while it doesn't have any antivirus software on it!

3)  The error message isn't referring to some software that is unknown, but rather it's saying that it doesn't recognize the type of error generated by a particular piece of software.

4)  Do you happen to have an HP printer attached to the computer?
Thank You

No printer attached.

Is there a way to find this 'unknown' software?
Forget those file dumps and error report thingies .. I have no clue as how to find or even read them if I did find them.

Maybe there is some software that can be used?
~ Self

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »
Mostly through experimentation and trial-and-error.

From what I've seen, printers, particularly HP printers, are the source of a lot of these sorts of errors.  Do you have a wireless printer, or even a printer attached to another computer, that your laptop can use to print things?

You should also uninstall the Comodo antivirus software to see if you still get these errors; antivirus software can also be the source of these errors.

Another thing you can do is to see if there are any errors reported in the event viewed caused by Comodo.

Since you seem uncomfortable with doing this, I'll walk you through it.

Click on the icon at the bottom left-hand side - the windows circle - hover over the "Control Panel" item on the menu and when the detailed menu pops up, click on the "Performance Information and Tools" item.

When the new window opens, on the left hand side there should be an item called "Advanced tools" - click on that item.  In the new screen that you get, there should be an item called "View performance details in Event log" - click on that item.  In the dialog box saying that Windows need your permission to continue, click "ok."

That will bring up a new window that looks something like this:

On the right-hand side you should see an item called "Find..." - click on that item.  In the box that pops up, type "Comodo" - without the quotation marks - and hit return.

It may not find anything, but if it does, in the window in the bottom half of the middle - which is gray - a bunch of text will be displayed.  Click on the tab titled "Details" and when the text changes, you should see a number of items with a "+" next to them.  Click on each "+" so that it displays all of the information under that item.

Finally, use your cursor to highlight everything displayed in that tab, copy it, and paste it here.  Then we can see if that gives us any useful info.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:30:39 pm »
Oceander

Thank You so much for your reply.

I will try to follow your instructions and let you know what happens.

I hate the way microsoft buries pc errors in code!

Why can't they just use English! 8888crybaby
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:36 am »
I seem to have a LOT of problems and Comodo looks like it's a minor one!

Somehow I may have to find a driver searcher/updater!

THESE are just two of the many critical warnings that were in the log.

This one was listed first ..

Windows has started up:
     Boot Duration      :   172577ms
     IsDegradation      :   false
     Incident Time (UTC)   :   8/17/2013 11:16:50 PM

This came next ..

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
Date:          8/17/2013 7:31:31 PM
Event ID:      400
Task Category: System Performance Monitoring
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      Event Log
User:          LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:      PAUL
Description:
Information about the system performance monitoring event:
     Scenario      :   Start Menu
     Analysis result      :   Analysis was unable to find any rootcauses
     Incident Time (UTC)   :   1/1/1601 12:00:00 AM
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{cfc18ec0-96b1-4eba-961b-622caee05b0a}" />
    <EventID>400</EventID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>4005</Task>
    <Opcode>37</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-08-17T23:31:31.530Z" />
    <EventRecordID>11995</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{00000001-0000-0000-3665-80DA9F9BCE01}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="1788" ThreadID="1112" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>
    <Computer>PAUL</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="ShellScenarioStartTime">1601-01-01T00:00:00.000Z</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellScenarioEndTime">2013-08-17T23:31:24.535Z</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellSubScenario">2</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellScenarioDuration">3210010359</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellRootCauseBits">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellAnalysisResult">1</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellDegradationType">5</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellTsVersion">1</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellMachineUpTimeHours">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ShellMachineSleepPattern">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
==========================
This is one of two for Comodo .. both say the same.

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
     File Name      :   cavwp.exe
     Friendly Name      :   COMODO Internet Security
     Version      :   6, 2, 282872, 2847
     Total Time      :   57802ms
     Degradation Time   :   50302ms
     Incident Time (UTC)   :   8/2/2013 11:45:53 PM

===============================

I have a Ton of warnings but to give you an idea .. I am posting only a few.

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
     File Name      :   explorer.exe
     Friendly Name      :   Windows Explorer
     Version      :   6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
     Total Time      :   26325ms
     Degradation Time   :   16591ms
     Incident Time (UTC)   :   8/17/2013 11:16:50 PM

===============================

This driver took longer to initialize, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
     File Name      :   nvlddmkm
     Friendly Name      :   NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 311.06
     Version      :   9.18.13.1106
     Total Time      :   934ms
     Degradation Time   :   226ms
     Incident Time (UTC)   :   8/17/2013 1:54:42 AM

===========================

This driver caused a delay during standby while servicing a device:
     Driver File Name      :   \Driver\HidUsb
     Driver Friendly Name      :   USB Miniport Driver for Input Devices
     Driver Version         :   6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
     Driver Total Time      :   25ms
     Driver Degradation Time   :   20ms
     Incident Time (UTC)      :   8/17/2013 7:43:34 AM
     Device Name         :   USB\VID_045E&PID_00E3&MI_01\6&1abf36e8&0&0001
     Device Friendly Name      :   Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
     Device Total Time      :   25ms
     Device Degradation Time   :   0ms

==============================

This driver responded slower than expected to the resume request while servicing this device:
     Driver File Name      :   \Driver\RTSTOR
     Driver Friendly Name      :   Realtek USB Mass Storage Driver for Vista x64
     Driver Version         :   6.0.6000.20097
     Driver Total Time      :   93ms
     Driver Degradation Time   :   64ms
     Incident Time (UTC)      :   8/17/2013 10:25:35 PM
     Device Name         :   USBSTOR\DISK&Ven_IOI&Prod_CF/MicroDrive&Rev_1.04\20060413092100000&0
     Device Friendly Name      :   Disk drive
     Device Total Time      :   93ms
     Device Degradation Time   :   64ms
~ Self

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:12:06 pm »
None of these looks like it's the culprit.

Updating the drivers should be relatively easy - HP's support site should have a whole bunch of updates for your system.

Your boot time is pretty slow - from the first one you listed it looks like it's taking almost three minutes for the system to boot and be ready to use.  And Comodo appears to be a large part of the problem since it took almost a minute to load up properly (and from the diagnostic you posted, it appears that most of that time is due to performance degradation).

If you have a Vista DVD you might try doing a repair installation from that - it shouldn't do anything to your data, but you should back everything up just in case.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »
Solution.  Get rid of the Microsoft PC and whatever OS it's running.  Get a Mac--even a used old Mac is better than anything MS has produced.  Plus there's a ton of open source applications out there from Sun.  IE has always been an accident waiting to happen. 

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 12:50:44 am »
Solution.  Get rid of the Microsoft PC and whatever OS it's running.  Get a Mac--even a used old Mac is better than anything MS has produced.  Plus there's a ton of open source applications out there from Sun.  IE has always been an accident waiting to happen. 

Get a Mac only if you want an overpriced toy.  Macs are just as vulnerable to viruses and other malware as any PC is, they just don't get targeted as often because there are so fewer of them and they generally aren't connected to anything of real interest - MS makes its money off of its enterprise products; Mac doesn't have an enterprise product.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:10 am »
Get a Mac only if you want an overpriced toy.  Macs are just as vulnerable to viruses and other malware as any PC is, they just don't get targeted as often because there are so fewer of them and they generally aren't connected to anything of real interest - MS makes its money off of its enterprise products; Mac doesn't have an enterprise product.
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 06:47:33 am »
OK, one really obvious question.

Do you only have the one antivirus program? MacAfee, for example, is infamous for installing itself and two AV programs running at the same time can cause a ton of errors and slow downs
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:41 am »
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Glad to keep you amused; you see how much better PC folks are: not only can we handle ourselves, we can handle Mac-ists too.

Speaking of which, if Macs are so much better, how come they haven't been widely adopted as enterprise systems?

Offline mrclose

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 05:48:31 am »
OK, one really obvious question.

Do you only have the one antivirus program? MacAfee, for example, is infamous for installing itself and two AV programs running at the same time can cause a ton of errors and slow downs
I have 'remnants' of both Avira and Comodo even after using specialized tools to remove them and running cleaners.

Avira is impossible to remove completely!

Now for the Doozy of a mess that has come my way .. trying to fix the last problem(s) ...

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT

Lots of memory .. Lots of free disk space.

No problem with my Internet Connection and I am almost sure that the problem is not virus or malware related.

(Can't be absolutely sure as you will understand after reading the rest of this post)

I am desperate!

I can't open any of my browsers.

Opening anything such as tools like malwarebytes, revo uninstaller, etc. etc. is iffy!?

There seems to be no logic in what and what will not open.

Some things will open like note pad and CCleaner (From the programs folder) but wont open from the desktop!?
(can't do that as of today)

Malwarebytes launches from the Programs folder but wont launch from the desktop!?
(Can't do this anymore)

None of the browsers will open from the desktop, their respective folders or from the Programs folder!?

I am also getting access denied on a lot of system tools even though I am the Administrator!?

It is odd how I was finally able to get opera to launch.

I was able to get program accessories to open .. went into system tools and launched Windows Easy Transfer (don't ask).

When that window opened up .. I hit cancel and the message Are you Sure You Want To End The Transfer came up.

After clicking yes .. Opera opened!!??
(The only way I can open a browser now)

In case anyone asks Hijack this or MiniToolBox wont open either!
(The folder itself will but the app wont launch.)

All of this mess seems to have started with Comodo's Security Suite.

I had installed Comodo's Security Suite and soon after started experiencing  multiple hanging startups and shutdowns.

I uninstalled it, installed MSE and Windows Firewall and .. Here I am!

It looks like I may have to do a Destructive Restore if I am to have a functioning pc again?

I only hope that someone will have an idea of what is going on before I jump to such a desperate measure!?

Can't even get copies of my photos or music videos before doing a clean install!
Tools won't open and even downloaded software won't install or run! 8(

~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 07:18:35 am »
No expert at all, but:

You got a trojan, by the sounds of it. Lot of them shut down the ability to run system tools as a precaution. Can you open task manager to see what processes are running?

If you do need to do a total restore, there is a way to access and save your files before hand. Grab yourself a Linux boot disk (Using a friend's computer, or most computer stores will gladly make you one) and boot from the CD. It will recognize the file system and allow you to copy files over onto a flash drive. That trick has saved my bacon a time or two!

Offline mrclose

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:01:11 am »
No expert at all, but:

You got a trojan, by the sounds of it. Lot of them shut down the ability to run system tools as a precaution. Can you open task manager to see what processes are running?

If you do need to do a total restore, there is a way to access and save your files before hand. Grab yourself a Linux boot disk (Using a friend's computer, or most computer stores will gladly make you one) and boot from the CD. It will recognize the file system and allow you to copy files over onto a flash drive. That trick has saved my bacon a time or two!
Thank You for the response.

I can open TM but have no idea what to look for.

I have a Ubuntu disk .. will that work?
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 08:15:06 am »
Just discovered that if I use IE, I can download their scanner (Microsoft Safety Scanner) without actually having to do it myself.

IE asks if you want to save or run the app and if you choose run .. It Will Run!
Yaaaaa

I assume that I will be able to do the same with malwarebytes?
(Unless malwarebytes sees that it is already installed on my system and refuses!?)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:17:20 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:07 am »
It should work - pretty sure mine is also Ubuntu. As long as it boots, can read your file system and supports USB, you are golden. Plus, of course, a complete reinstall will speed up your machine again.

In TM, look for any processes running that are either unnamed or don't seem to fit. Especially look for any names that have a .[number] in them - don't know why, but a lot of trojans are named that way.

Desperately trying to remember the name of the one I was infected with last year but drawing a blank. Malwarebytes couldn't find it, and it needed a specialist tool to remove.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 08:22:39 am »
Just another quick thought - have you tried booting into safe mode and running things?

Computers are a right royal pain!

Offline mrclose

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 08:31:08 am »
Just another quick thought - have you tried booting into safe mode and running things?

Computers are a right royal pain!
Yep .. Safe mode has the same problem(s).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:32:12 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 08:33:22 am »
Yep .. Safe mode has the same problem(s).

Dang. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Sorry  :shrug:

Hopefully one of the tech wizards will log in soon!

Offline mrclose

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:42 am »
Dang. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Sorry  :shrug:

Hopefully one of the tech wizards will log in soon!
Your help has been most appreciated!
~ Self

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 12:56:06 pm »
With all the problems you're reporting, you either have a trojan, with massive malware infestations, or you have a failing disk.  I've had failing disks before and if they're slowly eating themselves up from the front end they can easily cause OS degradation.

At this point I would suggest first running a hard disk diagnostic utility - you should be able to get one free from the website of your disk's manufacturer.  If that shows the disk is failing, then it's time to replace the hard drive.

Either way, once you've checked the drive you're going to have to wipe the drive (i.e., format it) and reinstall Vista.