Author Topic: Martha Raye: A Woman Warrior Worthy Of Attention  (Read 4435 times)

famousdayandyear

Martha Raye: A Woman Warrior Worthy Of Attention
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:03 am »
Martha Raye
 (from email)

It was well recognized that Martha Raye endured less comfort and more danger than any other Vietnam entertainer.

The most unforgivable oversight of TV is that her shows were not taped.

I was unaware of her credentials or where she is buried.

Somehow I just can't see Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson doing what this woman (and the other USO women, including Ann Margaret & Joey Heatherton) did for our troops in past wars.

Most of the old time entertainers were made of a lot sterner stuff than today's crop of activists bland whiners.

The following is from an Army Aviator who takes a trip down memory lane:

"It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku. We had run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back.   

All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear.

There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a Special Forces beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard. 

'Maggie' had been visiting her SF 'heroes' out 'west'.

We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku. 

As we all started unloading our sad pax's, a 'Smart Mouth' USAF Captain said to Martha.... "Ms Ray, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be time for your show!"

To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar and said "Captain, see this eagle?  I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and this is a 'Caduceus' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty....now, take me to your wounded!"

He said, "Yes ma'am... follow me."

Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku, she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved break.

Martha is the only woman buried in the Special Forces cemetery at Ft Bragg.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Martha Raye: A Woman Warrior Worthy Of Attention
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:49 am »
I remember her. Actually I remember all the USO shows Bob Hope did and the women who went with him.

BTW there is one female entertainer who has been going on an extensive entertainment tour in the Middle East for the last five or so years -- Kelly Pickler -- and the guys all LOVE her.,..
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 02:00:25 am »
I remember her. Actually I remember all the USO shows Bob Hope did and the women who went with him.

BTW there is one female entertainer who has been going on an extensive entertainment tour in the Middle East for the last five or so years -- Kelly Pickler -- and the guys all LOVE her.,..

Did you know Martha Raye is the ONLY CIVILIAN buried at the cemetery reserved for SpecOps at Fort Bragg, NC?  I did not.  And I live here.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:03:19 am »
Did you know Martha Raye is the ONLY CIVILIAN buried at the cemetery reserved for SpecOps at Fort Bragg, NC?  I did not.  And I live here.

No, I didn't.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:01 am »
BTW:  Blessings on Kelly Picker if she serves our troops in combat action.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:12 am »
Wow.  I did not know that about Martha Raye - but you could tell she was a tough old bird!

Good for Kelly Pickler!  She was in our area recently doing some kind of benefit show for breast cancer awareness and a program that pays for mammograms for under-insured individuals. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:24:36 am »

and another good guy who goes over there at Christmas time......

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 02:26:30 am »
But to keep it on topic......

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/colonel-maggie.htm#.Ugrqlz_5arg

Entertainer Martha Raye was a U.S. Army nurse and held the rank of Colonel-Truth! & Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor: 
This is a forwarded email about actress and singer Martha Raye who entertained United States troops with the USO service organization during World War II and conflicts in Korea, and Viet Nam. The eRumor tells of an account where as an Army Colonel she allegedly pulled rank on an Air Force Captain and treated the wounded onboard the aircraft while she was on route to military base for a USO show The eRumor also says that when she died she was buried at Fort Bragg and the only woman in the special forces part of the cemetery.

The Truth: 
Noonie Fortin, Martha Raye's biographer told TruthOrFiction.com that Raye was lovingly called "Colonel Maggie" but the rank of Lt. Colonel and membership of the Green Beret Special Forces unit were both honorary. The entertainer was also an honorary Colonel in the United States Marine Corps.

Fortin, who wrote "Memories of Maggie," also said that it was not uncommon for Ms. Raye to jump in to assist in caring for wounded serviceman throughout her history with the USO. Fortin said "She would often pull rank, pointing out the oak leaf or bird on her collar and Green Beret as well as the nurse's emblem. Likewise she often helped out in the surgical units and wards."

The Department of Defense issues non-military identification cards to civilians who accompany armed forces to present in the event of capture.  Each card contains the person's name and vital statistics such as height, weight, eye color and blood type.  The cards also have what is called a "Geneva Conventions category."  Category IV issued to such volunteers which is a rank equivalent to majors, lieutenant-colonels, colonels.

Fortin told TruthOrFiction.com that "Maggie took it a step further and began wearing a uniform with the rank on it. As time progressed so did the honorary rank she held. By the time Vietnam ended she was a Lieutenant Colonel for the Army and Colonel for the Marines but wasn't really a member of either branch. Everything was honorary titles including the ribbons that she would often wear though some years later were actually awarded to her."

Raye received numerous awards and commendations from the military in appreciation for her years of service and in 1993, President Bill Clinton awarded the entertainer with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Raye died on the 19th October, 1994 and  was buried among veterans of many wars at the Fort Bragg Cemetery in Fayetteville, NC. Special request had been made for her to be buried there since she wasn't military.

The Colonel Maggie web site is maintained by Fortin and has a impressive display of Martha Raye's biography and awards.

Click to visit the Colonel Maggie site.

Offline Rapunzel

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:33:32 am by Rapunzel »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:10 am »
Rap, after reading your post, I am assuming your position is that Martha Raye is a fraud--while Kelly Pickler is the real honest to God warrior for our troops.  Or did I miss something?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:59 am »
Rap, after reading your post, I am assuming your position is that Martha Raye is a fraud--while Kelly Pickler is the real honest to God warrior for our troops.  Or did I miss something?

Not at all... I just posted a bunch of Martha Raye Pics, too...  you said you were unaware that Pickler has been entertaining the troops in theater so i found some of the pics that are out there... What is sad is how few entertainers are willing to go into the current war zone to entertain our troops, I know Wayne Newton and Gene Simmons have arranged tours and a lot of the male country stars have gone, but she is one of the few females who has gone there for any period of time and actually gone into the area where they are fighting.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:12 am »
Good job Rap...yes, she is one of the few picking up in Martha's (and others) footsteps.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 07:20:39 am »
and this man left some huge shoes to fill..

snip.......
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/06/stephen-colbert-bob-hope-more-uso-stars-who-entertained-troops-over-70-years.html

For five decades in times of war and peace, Hope crisscrossed the globe visiting troops in places like Korea, Vietnam and Lebanon. He made his last tour at the age of 87, visiting troops in Saudi Arabia in December 1990, during the lead-up to the first Gulf War. His last visit was his most scripted, as the Pentagon reined in his jokes and prohibited women—with the exception of Hope’s wife—from performing to avoid offending local Muslim customs.

Hope’s lifelong commitment to the USO was honored in 1996, when Congress designated him America’s first honorary veteran. The comedian often referred to himself as the Army’s “ski-nosed Western Union” because he felt like a messenger keeping the troops connected to friends and family back home.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:21:54 am by Rapunzel »