Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey's account of being racially profiled at Swiss boutique is 'not true,' says shop clerk  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

The Zurich boutique clerk accused of racially profiling Oprah Winfrey is firing back -- claiming the Queen of Talk’s account “is not true” and “absurd.”

“I would never say something like that to a customer. Really never,” the unidentified Italian woman told Switzerland’s SonntagsBlick newspaper Sunday, according to a translation from London’s Daily Mail.

“I don't know why she is making these accusations. She is so powerful and I am just a shop girl,” added the shop attendant, who has worked at the posh Trois Pommes shop for five years.

“I don't know why someone as great as her must cannibalize me on TV.”

According to the clerk:

“I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags,” she told SonntagsBlick.

“It is absolutely not true that I declined to show her the bag on racist grounds. I even asked her if she wanted to look at the bag.

“'She looked around the store again but didn't say anything else. Then she went with her companion to the lower floor. My colleague saw them to the door. They were not even in the store for five minutes.”

Store owner Trudie Goetz publicly defended her employee, telling Reuters, “"This is an absolute classic misunderstanding” possibly caused by the clerk’s imperfect command of English.

When asked by the Swiss newspaper what should would say to Winfrey if she had the chance to talk to her again, the clerk responded:

“I would apologize and say it was all a misunderstanding,” she said. “ I surely did not intentionally want to insult Ms. Winfrey.

“I hope this nightmare ends soon.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/oprah-account-racism-switzerland-true-shop-clerk-article-1.1424327

So who are we to believe? A shop clerk in Switzerland or a hypersensitive diva who is seeking to get publicity for both her latest movie and her flagging network? Tough call, tough call.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Maybe the Queen Beeyotch should have considered that not everyone in Switzerland speaks English fluently before she launched into her diatribe against this Italian-speaking woman.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
MEDIA FALLS FOR RACE HOAX? SWISS CLERK BRANDS OPRAH A LIAR
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:21 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/08/12/Media-fall-or-race-hoax-swiss-clerk-brands-oprah-liar

by JOHN NOLTE  12 Aug 2013, 11:45 AM PDT

A Swiss sales assistant caught in the middle of Oprah Winfrey's media racial firestorm claims that she's tired of being bullied and lied about by the powerful billionaire and cable network owner. Speaking anonymously, the sales clerk Oprah has publicly accused of racism for not showing her a $38,000 handbag told a Sunday newspaper, "It is absolutely not true that I declined to show her the bag on racist grounds. I even asked her if she wanted to look at the bag."

This directly contradicts an anecdote Oprah relayed to Entertainment Tonight where she told America that the clerk's response to her request to see the handbag was, "No, it's too expensive."

The racially-charged headlines and media frenzy that followed were many, and mostly unskeptical.

Eventually the shop owner and the entire of country of Switzerland would apologize to Oprah. The shop owner, however, has always claimed that the incident was a major misunderstanding that had nothing to do with race.

For its part, the American media never showed the moral courage to express any skepticism towards one of the most wealthy and powerful people in the world. The story was just too good, I guess, and Oprah just too much of a sacred cow -- a close friend of Barack Obama's, black, leftist, an actress, and a womyn.

But did the media even wonder for a moment how a potentially exaggerated, racially-charged anecdote of this kind might help to sell Oprah's upcoming film, "The Butler?" It was, after all, during the publicity blitz for "The Butler" that Oprah first told the story.

Did no one in media wonder if such an anecdote mixed with the promotion of a film based on a racial theme might be a little too neat?

Also, let us not forget that Oprah is already guilty of jumping with both feet into the George Zimmerman trial. Though every shred of evidence points to the fact that Zimmerman's fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin had nothing to do with race, that didn't stop Oprah from pretending it did.  Of course, the media (and Obama) were also all aboard for that race hoax.

The media would like to pretend that their noble job is to help the afflicted and to afflict the powerful. Well, what we have here now is a powerless shop girl claiming that she doesn't "know why someone as great as [Oprah] must cannibalize me on TV" -- when in reality Ms. Winfrey had all kinds of reasons.

The clerk could be lying, no doubt. But in a sane media world, this story would really be heating up right about now.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I don't know the Swiss laws, but if it were in the US this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Offline sinkspur

LOL!!  This turns out not to be racial at all, but Orca got a wedgie in her considerable ass BECAUSE THE CLERK DIDN'T RECOGNIZE HER HIGHNESS!!!

And there's the obvious pimping of her movie.

Winfrey's reputation has taken a huge hit with her wading into the racial quagmire.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I don't know the Swiss laws, but if it were in the US this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Oprah is above lawsuit.

"It has stopped me COLD from eating another burger!" got her a one-way ticket to Amarillo 15 years ago for a month but she ended up getting off. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to think she can get away with slander after that incident.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024