Author Topic: Army colonel: Physical strength not the end-all, be-all of combat service  (Read 1748 times)

Offline flowers

An Army officer writing in a prestigious journal says the services should not overemphasize physical strength when deciding whether a woman qualifies for direct ground combat.

Col. Ellen Haring, on the staff of the U.S. Army War College, says commanders need to downplay obstacle courses and judge a service member’s ability to stay calm and think quickly.

The Pentagon has lifted its ban on women serving in the infantry, tanks and special operations, and the branches are examining all their physical standards in preparation for introducing women into these units in 2015.

Some military analysts fear the Pentagon will discard some standards to ensure that a significant number of women qualify.

“Perhaps it is time to take a hard look at what really makes a competent combat soldier and not rely on traditional notions of masculine brawn that celebrate strength over other qualities,” Col. Haring says in the current issue of Armed Forces Journal.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/12/army-colonel-physical-strength-not-end-all-be-all/#ixzz2bmeSkSXT
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline Cincinnatus

January, 2013
Col. Ellen Haring, of the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, was one of two complainants to file a lawsuit in May in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., demanding the U.S. Department of Defense allow women on the front lines.

The American Civil Liberties Union subsequently filed its own lawsuit on this issue.

The Pentagon filed a motion to dismiss Haring and Command Sgt. Maj. Jane Baldwin's lawsuit in September.

Haring said she didn't expect the Department of Defense to make such a monumental decision in overturning the ban of women in combat on its own last week.

The article follows with an interview with Haring and this statement:

Haring grew up in Norther Virginia and graduated from West Point in 1984.

She is part of the War College's strategic outreach branch, and works with community institutions and groups to link the college with its surroundings.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/army_war_colleges_col_ellen_ha.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mountaineer

Col. Ellen Haring, of the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, was one of two complainants to file a lawsuit in May in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., demanding the U.S. Department of Defense allow women on the front lines.
I bet she doesn't want to be on the front lines herself, but thinks it would be just swell in principle.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

Answer:  Reassign her immediately to an FOB outside the wire in Afghanistan for 9 months.  (Down side the rest of her squad would have to carry her useless a** during missions)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Geez...everybody that has ever watched Lara Croft or Salt could tell you that!    :tongue2:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:33:39 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Answer:  Reassign her immediately to an FOB outside the wire in Afghanistan for 9 months.  (Down side the rest of her squad would have to carry her useless a** during missions)

If she has skills useful to the mission profile, yes. Do it.  Otherwise, no. I have had the honor and pleasure of working with female soldiers and support staff that I would happily take into hell, knowing they'd have a decent chance to come out again, maybe dragging my ass out too. It's not a place to make a "statement." Do that on your own time and without causing risk to your colleagues.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

famousdayandyear

Geez...everybody that has ever watched Lara Croft or Salt could tell you that!    :tongue2:

Could you explain your post (to us intoxicated and/or depressed).  My google is broken.   :shrug:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not to put words into DC's mouth - Angelina Jolie has made a career of portraying women who kick ass and don't bother taking names.

It is not all that accurate. 
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

famousdayandyear

Not to put words into DC's mouth - Angelina Jolie has made a career of portraying women who kick ass and don't bother taking names.

It is not all that accurate. 

Appreciate you running interference for DC; but waiting to read his very own response.

Offline DCPatriot

Could you explain your post (to us intoxicated and/or depressed).  My google is broken.   :shrug:

Don't get out much, eh?    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

Don't get out much, eh?    :laugh:

Thank you for a courteous response, but I still do not understand the referenced post with the icon you chose.  Could you provide a clarification for me please?  Thank you again. 

Offline DCPatriot

Thank you for a courteous response, but I still do not understand the referenced post with the icon you chose.  Could you provide a clarification for me please?  Thank you again.

The title of the thread implies that women....who are biologically weaker then your average conditioned infantry soldier...have to look for other ways than physical strength.

I was commenting on that absurdity.....with absurdity.

.....just like Rush Limbaugh likes to say.

Now....are you okay?    :laugh:

famousdayandyear

The title of the thread implies that women....who are biologically weaker then your average conditioned infantry soldier...have to look for other ways than physical strength.

I was commenting on that absurdity.....with absurdity.

.....just like Rush Limbaugh likes to say.

Now....are you okay?    :laugh:

Yes.  Thank you.  And thanks for your concern.  I'm OK.  Intoxicated and depressed some say.
But I see your point now.  And the patience you exerted on my behalf.  Deserves a wolf--if I can find him.  He's moved--wait a second..... :howlin: