Author Topic: American girl seriously injured last month in Spain's terrifying rail disaster might NEVER be able to return home due to crippling medical costs  (Read 938 times)

Offline flowers

Lucia Ruiz was on board the high speed train in Spain that derailed outside Santiago de Compostela - killing 79 people
She was in one of the rear carriages and was seriously injured when the train came free of the tracks
She suffered injuries to her legs, skull, pelvis, hips and suffered internal bleeding
She spend days in the ICU of a hospital two miles from the crash site
Her family are struggling to cover the medical expenses

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389342/American-girl-seriously-injured-month-Spains-terrifying-rail-disaster-NEVER-able-return-home-crippling-medical-costs.html#ixzz2bhQPhNsZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

from the coment section................

Why was she travelling without insurance? It's her own fault if she had none.

- Plooky , Marbella, 11/8/2013 22:09
Click to rate     Rating   3

Report abuse

My daughter took 3 trips out of the US, one to Spain and it was required that she purchase travel insurance.

- DD , Somewhere out there, 11/8/2013 22:00
Click to rate     Rating   3

Report abuse

Good stay there. Too many Mojados here already.

- Homer , Nunya, United States, 11/8/2013 21:57
Click to rate     Rating   25

Report abuse

It's a shame Americans have to suffer death and injury because of the lazy Spanish people.

- foxyknoxy , somewhere, United Kingdom, 11/8/2013 21:57
Click to rate     Rating   12

Report abuse

Are they working with the American Consulate in Spain to navigate through Spain's bureaucracy? This is an important step for them to take. No doubt the parents want to be with their daughter. The daughter has suffered because of a reckless train driver who happens to be employed by a Spanish agency.

- Lamour , somewhere in USA, United States, 11/8/2013 21:56
Click to rate     Rating   5

Report abuse

Truly I am sorry for this, but everyone has the option to purchase travel and medical insurance. If you choose not to in order to save money. Then, well who do you have to blame... As I have a daughter of the same age, I have donated $100.00. But please families don't try to save on insurance and pay for it for your family.

- DaveM , Yantai - Shandong, China, 11/8/2013 21:54
Click to rate     Rating   25

Report abuse

It's worthwhile to note that the original story in the Chicago news DOES NOT say the family may never be able to take her home. They simply do not know when they can bring her home yet due to her medical condition. There is no appeal for things not covered by Spain, not covered by their own insurance, etc. The family simply set up this site locally for those who wanted to help. Go back and google the local news story to get a more factual article.. This article was misleadingly written by the writer.

- Suzan , Chicago IL USA, 11/8/2013 21:53
Click to rate     Rating   11

Report abuse

For french it's a very strange situation. we don't have this kind of trouble. We have "sécurité sociale". You just have to rest and let the doctors make their job...

- Valerie fernandez , Marseille, 11/8/2013 21:52
Click to rate     Rating   7

Report abuse

Truly I am sorry for this, but everyone has the option to purchase travel and medical insurance. If you choose not to in order to save money. Then, well who do you have to blame...

- DaveM , Yantai - Shandong, China, 11/8/2013 21:52
Click to rate     Rating   6

Report abuse

Don't worrry! Obama has fixed our healthcare system! It's all free now! You just have to come up with about $20,000 every year for Insurance Premiums for a family of four now. But they tell us it's now all free and affordable! Come on back! - FlangeHead , Memphis Tennessee, United States, 11/8/2013 21:24 Click to rate     ...... The dishonest Republican lied to get a war that cost 7 trillion dollars, that is 7,000 billion dollars that accomplish nothing, but they are appalled at spending a cent to insure poor people. For a fraction of the money you chicken hawks have spent on wars that other people fig he we could have insured the entire country ,repaired our infrastructure and taken care of the elderly. What a waste, you haters only love war.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I rarely comment on comments - but right now I want to kill people. Not only want to - I would take great pleasure in cleaning this particular bunch of algae out of the gene pool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

It's worthwhile to note that the original story in the Chicago news DOES NOT say the family may never be able to take her home. They simply do not know when they can bring her home yet due to her medical condition. There is no appeal for things not covered by Spain, not covered by their own insurance, etc. The family simply set up this site locally for those who wanted to help. Go back and google the local news story to get a more factual article.. This article was misleadingly written by the writer.

- Suzan , Chicago IL USA, 11/8/2013 21:53

This was an excellent response.

BTW I am sick of the media spinning everything to help The WON with his crappy Obamacare.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776