Author Topic: Loyalist riots in Belfast leave 56 police officers injured and parts of the city wrecked in night of 'mindless anarchy'  (Read 1427 times)

Offline flowers

The trouble broke out as the city hosts thousands of international visitors attending the World Police and Fire Games.

Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers condemned the rioters.

'Last night's violence and attacks on police officers were shameful,' she said today.

'After success for Northern Ireland this summer as host to both the G8 Summit (in Co Fermanagh in June) and the World Police and Fire Games, disorder on the streets is a hugely regrettable step backwards.'

Last night's violence spread from the Royal Avenue area as the Anti-Internment League parade, which was sanctioned by the Parades Commission adjudication body, approached from north Belfast.

Some direct clashes with loyalists and republicans ensued close to the entrance to the unionist Shankill Road, and police said they came under attack from both sides, but officers have stressed that loyalist protesters were responsible for the vast majority of the violence.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388702/Belfast-riots-Violence-leaves-56-police-officers-injured-parts-city-wrecked-night-mindless-anarchy.html#ixzz2bh0iOC3L
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

8888madkitty

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
These idiots have been at it for hundreds of years to almost 900 depending on which event one wants to classify as the beginning of the Irish/English/Protestant/Catholic fighting.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online mountaineer

Not too long ago I was wondering what ever happened to the religious violence in Northern Ireland. Looks like they just couldn't bid it adieu.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's been a very hot summer. People get a bit tetched as they aren't used to it.  :chairbang:

The violence has almost disappeared in recent years. The odd bombing or execution, but mostly peaceful demonstrations. It would be a pity if the bad old days came back again.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Oddly enough, it was 9/11 which really ended the use of terrorism in Ireland.  Much of the funding for the IRA came from the Irish in the US, especially New York City.  After 9/11, that money dried up.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. NYC was by far the biggest fundraising location the IRA had. I recall going there in the 80s and being warned not to go into certain areas, as my accent would get me a beat down at the very least.

With 9/11 drying up the money supply and the huge changes in Eastern Europe cutting down on the weapons supplied, the IRA and the Provos both had to spend more time at the table talking and less time killing. The ones who were in it for the chaos split off and became The Real IRA.
The Orange Order is not without fault though. They do like to deliberately inflame tensions - it gets their march in the news.

Still - hosting the Police and Fire Games? What did they expect? The only group more universally reviled in NI is the Army.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Celebrate diversity!

Ain't it great?