Author Topic: McCain: Young Americans admire Snowden, see him as ‘some kind of Jason Bourne’  (Read 997 times)

Offline happyg

A deep distrust of government has led young Americans to hold up NSA leaker Edward Snowden as a hero, Sen. John McCain said Sunday.

"There's a young generation who believes he's some kind of Jason Bourne," the Arizona Republican said during on "Fox News Sunday," referring to the lead character in the Bourne movie trilogy who battled his own government, particularly the CIA.

Mr. Snowden's revelations — including details of the National Security Agency's data-collection efforts — have led to a debate on the national security vs. privacy question, and how to balance the two.

President Obama last week laid out a series of proposed reforms to government spying programs in an effort to reassure Americans that their Fourth Amendment rights aren't being trampled. His proposals include having a privacy advocate argue against the federal government in court, more restrictions on the mass collection of phone records and other steps.

Mr. McCain, a widely respected figure on national security and his party's 2008 presidential nominee, said the White House's recommendations could be beneficial.

But there's a deeper problem that must be addressed, he said.

"Right now there's kind of a generational change. Young Americans do not trust this government," Mr. McCain said. "Without trusting government you can't do a lot of things."

Mr. Snowden now has been granted asylum in Russia in another blow to relations between the U.S. and its old Cold War foe.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/11/mccain-young-americans-admire-snowden-see-him-some/#ixzz2bgHnY3xx

Offline flowers

Hmpt........................I was hoping the "rebels" in Syria would have kept McLame in that country. Gramersy as well.  :smokin:

Offline flowers

Without trusting government you can't do a lot of things."
Who can't do a lot of things?  The government? With the government you cannot do a lot of things!

Offline happyg

It is natural instinct to not trust government, and rightly so. It's supposed to keep them on the up-and-up, and McCain doesn't like that.

Offline Allegra

It is natural instinct to not trust government, and rightly so. It's supposed to keep them on the up-and-up, and McCain doesn't like that.

I've never really trusted government, but I trust them less now than I ever have in my life.  I see them as having absolutely no good intentions as far as our Republic is concerned.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline Rapunzel

I've never really trusted government, but I trust them less now than I ever have in my life.  I see them as having absolutely no good intentions as far as our Republic is concerned.

word

BTW when do you return stateside?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Who can't do a lot of things?  The government? With the government you cannot do a lot of things!

You beat me to it.