Author Topic: Breaking Bad returns tonight  (Read 950 times)

Offline flowers

Breaking Bad returns tonight
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:42:44 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/08/breaking_bad_returns_tonight.html

I was late to discover Breaking Bad, the AMC miniseries that returns tonight for its final 8 episodes, the last half of season five. In my mind, BB may be the best, most moral long form drama ever to appear on American television. Yes, that good.

If you haven't seen the first 54 episodes, the conclusion of the long, convoluted and imaginative story line may not be that interesting. But you will still be able to enjoy the magnificent cinematography of Michael Slovis, who took over as director of photography starting in season two and who performed magic in the creation of startling, witty, vivid images that stay in the mind long after.

I was able to watch BB on Netflix, via a Roku box. That way, no commercials, and you can watch the episodes at whatever pace you wish, not having to wait a week between chapters of the story. And the story, of a man who consciously chooses evil, rationalizing away his choices as good or at least justified, at each step of the way. He goes from sympathetic to the embodiment of evil, continuously involving the viewer in his journey.

The great Jonah Goldberg has a cover story in the current issue of National Review, treating this moral journey. I am glad that both he and his magazine take seriously the role of this achievement. I will confine my comments to just a couple of more observations on the magnitude of the achievement this series represents. Its creator and guiding light is a man named Vince Gilligan, who deserves accolades as a sheer genius who has produced a remarkable work of art. There are many compelling characters who unfold (and a number are murdered) along the way, too, and the actors and directors involved are not to be slighted any credit.

If you have not seen Breaking Bad, I urge to find a way to watch it in sequence, either using on demand, DVDs, or Roku or other internet TV devices to get it online.  It is worth the considerable investment in time needed to appreciate it.

BB is not child friendly, however. It treats serious issues, and displays the results of evil in compelling ways. Unlike the trash which uses the same expression, Breaking Bad truly is for mature audiences only.

I have watched the last 2 seasons. It is a good show.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Breaking Bad returns tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:38:37 pm »
I never got into the story, Lipstick is currently getting up to date with it on Netflix.   I have gotten into Hell on Wheels, though...  AMC has some good original programming.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:05:33 pm »
I never got into the story, Lipstick is currently getting up to date with it on Netflix.   I have gotten into Hell on Wheels, though...  AMC has some good original programming.
Hell on Wheels does look good.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »
AMC has been running a Breaking Bad and Hell on Wheels marathon the past two weeks ~ Breaking Bad is OK, Hell on Wheels is pretty darn good.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:38:39 pm »
AMC has been running a Breaking Bad and Hell on Wheels marathon the past two weeks ~ Breaking Bad is OK, Hell on Wheels is pretty darn good.

Did you watch last nights season opener of Hell on Wheels? 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline TheMom

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:40 pm »
Did you watch last nights season opener of Hell on Wheels?

No, I missed it.  But I experienced a bit of hell on wheels, the grand girls were here.  :silly:
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
Breaking Bad is one of my all time favorite television shows.  The acting, the character development and the story is compelling and top-notch.  I do not advise trying to watch this last season until you have watched all of the previous seasons - in order.  This is a show you will not appreciate unless you start watching Episode One.  Only then can you understand what is going on. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!