Author Topic: Men good for barbecues, drinking, little else, according to women  (Read 3124 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Men good for barbecues, drinking, little else, according to women
August 6, 2013
MSN

The results are in: Men aren't good at things. This, according to a British survey of 1,000 adults. Women said men were largely useless at decorating homes, buying gifts (with clothing singled out), remaining sober at family functions, ironing shirts, dancing, cooking, "domestic chores," remembering anniversaries and, lastly, "multi-tasking." Men are useful for a few things, though, as 60 percent of women spoke highly of their man's ability to kill a spider, 56 percent rated men's barbecue skills highly, and just more than half were impressed by the male ability to drink. Oh, and 73 percent like how men change tires. Other than that, though, pretty useless.

http://now.msn.com/men-unskilled-at-most-things-according-to-women-a-survey-finds
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: Men good for barbecues, drinking, little else, according to women
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »
Of course...
John Steinbeck

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »
The results are in: Men aren't good at things.

I knew a guy who told the story of how his wife kept hounding him to help around the house, so one day he put all the dishes away... in all the wrong places.

She never asked him to help again...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:00:04 pm »
Wow....  guess I was really fortunate.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:01:02 pm »
"I disagree" - Marcus Lutrell

Offline TheMom

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »
They forgot to add changing light bulbs.

I have changed two light bulbs in the past 28 years.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:11:40 pm »
I knew a guy who told the story of how his wife kept hounding him to help around the house, so one day he put all the dishes away... in all the wrong places.

She never asked him to help again...

My husband (and children) have tried that trick ~ I look at it as a scavenger hunt.   :tongue2:
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Online Millee

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:46:30 pm »
Such crap.  I hope these wymen surveyed never have sons.  :chairbang:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 11:58:20 pm »
Mrs. Lando and I often laugh about a remark I made early in our marriage. Apparently I wasn't doing household chores to her satisfaction and she let me know about it.  I answered, "Anytime I can help more by doing less, just let me know."  The remark still lives.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:00:29 am by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:14 am »
Do you think an outlet like MSN would publish a headline like that about women?
John Steinbeck

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:43:11 am »
As a man, I must object that I happen to be quite good at a great number of things required to maintain a happy household, including those activities best conducted in rooms with excess pillows.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline SUGAR

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:57 am »
The survey must have sampled the "Women at War"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWmlRNfLck                                                   

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 02:01:07 am »
Wait, the women are supposed to do the household chores and we are supposed to just drink and cook on the grill?

I've been cheated.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:02:11 am »
As a man, I must object that I happen to be quite good at a great number of things required to maintain a happy household, including those activities best conducted in rooms with excess pillows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp0-8Ibkczc

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:18 am »
Wait, the women are supposed to do the household chores and we are supposed to just drink and cook on the grill?

I've been cheated.

I agree!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:23 am »

Well hell, andy.....anybody could work a Turkish waterpipe!   :silly:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:01 am »

Well hell, andy.....anybody could work a Turkish waterpipe!   :silly:

Oh yeah?  It's much harder when you're lying down. :smokin:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 06:20:55 pm »
I do a fare share of loading and unloading the dishwasher, laundry, setting the table, cleaning the bathroom floor when my son misses, vacuuming, and I do nearly all the cooking M-F because my wife gets home too late. Yet crossing chores the other way never happens. Never seen her change the oil on the cars, mow the lawn, replace a toilet or its parts, water the lawn, sweep the curb, pull curb weeds & grass, clean out a clog in a p-trap, pick up dog poop in the yard and a whole list of other things that by default are just my things to do.    Not complaining, mind you because I think our routine works fine, but this mindset that women don't need men is as old as the feminist movement and its a poison destined  to  brake down the American family.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:28:30 pm »
Never seen her change the oil on the cars, mow the lawn, replace a toilet or its parts, water the lawn, sweep the curb, pull curb weeds & grass, clean out a clog in a p-trap, pick up dog poop in the yard and a whole list of other things that by default are just my things to do

Whenever an unpleasant task like those arises my wife says I have to do it because "everyone knows it's a boy's job". Lol.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 07:20:38 pm »
Yeah, but we're REALLY good at barbecue.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:43 pm »
When my husband died someone at the gas station had to show me how to remove the locking gas cap on the car. I didn't know there was a key for the spare tire (which is stowed under the chassis) and I did not know how to use our front-loading washer and dryer.  I never did laundry in the 36 years we were together... he always did the laundry as well as vacuumed and moped the floors.  I did help with yard work when we lived in California - stuff like grooming roses.  We shared cooking chores.. he always did the BBQing... and we always changed the sheets on the bed together - king-size bed that is quite high off the floor....  and the two of us did the plant shelves - he up the ladder handing things down to me to clean and hand back up..  he cleaned the ceiling fans, too... and he did maintain the cars and the boat - though I did help wax the boat and clean and vacuum it after we'd used it.    I have no complaints he was the furthest thing there is from a couch potato....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 06:39:35 am »
When my husband died someone at the gas station had to show me how to remove the locking gas cap on the car. I didn't know there was a key for the spare tire (which is stowed under the chassis) and I did not know how to use our front-loading washer and dryer.  I never did laundry in the 36 years we were together... he always did the laundry as well as vacuumed and moped the floors.  I did help with yard work when we lived in California - stuff like grooming roses.  We shared cooking chores.. he always did the BBQing... and we always changed the sheets on the bed together - king-size bed that is quite high off the floor....  and the two of us did the plant shelves - he up the ladder handing things down to me to clean and hand back up..  he cleaned the ceiling fans, too... and he did maintain the cars and the boat - though I did help wax the boat and clean and vacuum it after we'd used it.    I have no complaints he was the furthest thing there is from a couch potato....

Yours is such a touching story.  What a huge vacant place when you lost him! 

Personally, I think da mens is da best God created.

Offline briskirn

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 05:36:22 am »
My guy is pretty "typical." Breadwinner, makes the important decisions for the family, grills well, never sober at family gatherings. He respects my opinions on things though, and that's pretty key. I run the household, and I am very happy to do so. I tried to grill salmon the other day and came outside to shooting salmon flames, so I'll leave the grilling to the men folk from now on. We strike an ideal balance to me with me being a nurturer and him taking on the cold, hard world.

I think they left out a very important male quality though, and that is the ability to lift heavy objects.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 06:03:57 am »
Personally, I think da mens is da best God created.

Funny you should say that, FDaY, as I once saw a sign that declared, "On the sixth day God created man, then He had a better idea." :laugh:
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 06:16:04 am »
The wymyns prolly hate this from the Stones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfqFuGJmxlU