Author Topic: U.S. senators urge release of political prisoners in Egypt  (Read 1214 times)

Offline flowers

U.S. senators urge release of political prisoners in Egypt
« on: August 06, 2013, 05:48:43 pm »
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/08/06/U-S-senators-urge-release-of-political-prisoners-in-Egypt.html

U.S. Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham urged Egypt’s military-backed government to release jailed members of the Muslim Brotherhood and called on rival parties in the country to engage in a national dialogue and avoid violence.

McCain and Graham met with top military and civilian leaders in Cairo as part of international efforts to resolve a standoff with supporters of the ousted President Mohammad Mursi.

“Democracy is the only viable path to stability,” said McCain, a former presidential candidate, calling for “an inclusive political process in which all Egyptians are free to participate,” AFP reported.

Both lawmakers referred to the military’s July 3 ouster of Mursi as a “coup,” something their government has been reluctant to do as it would have legal implications for the $1.3 billion dollars (977 million euros) in U.S. aid to Egypt.

“The people who are in charge were not elected, and the people who were elected are now in jail,” Graham told reporters.

“We urge the release of political prisoners,” said McCain, referring to Brotherhood members who have been detained since Mursi’s ouster by the military on July 3, the Associated Press reported.

“In a democracy, you have to talk to each other. It is impossible to talk to somebody in jail,” Graham said.

“The judicial system will deal with this in the future. Jailing opposition is not the exercise of a legitimate power,” he said.

Mursi has been formally remanded on suspicion of offences committed when he escaped from prison during the 2011 revolt that toppled president Hosni Mubarak.

Prosecutors have also set an August 25 date for the trial of the Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohammed Badie and his two deputies.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: U.S. senators urge release of political prisoners in Egypt
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:34:27 pm »
There are no words to describe my hatred and disgust with these two.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
There are no words to describe my hatred and disgust with these two.
Yep I know how you feel. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
“Democracy is the only viable path to stability,” said McCain, a former presidential candidate, calling for “an inclusive political process in which all Egyptians are free to participate,”

Actually, most historical democracies lasted about 200 years. Monarchies last longer.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »
One wonders just how well Americans would take it if members of the Egyptian parliament invited themselves over and started lecturing the US on how it should be running itself.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:10:33 pm »
“In a democracy, you have to talk to each other. It is impossible to talk to somebody in jail,” Graham said.
This is one of the silliest statements I believe I've ever heard from a U.S. Senator, and that's saying something.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org