Author Topic: Stewart breaks leg in sprint race  (Read 1019 times)

Offline flowers

Stewart breaks leg in sprint race
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/tony-stewart-taken-from-track-in-ambulance-after-flipping-car-080513#!hqVbx

Three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart was involved in a four-car wreck Monday night and left Southern Iowa Speedway in an ambulance. Stewart-Haas Racing announced that Stewart broke the tibia and fibula bones in his lower right leg and underwent surgery at a local hospital.

According to a team release, a replacement driver for this weekend’s Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International has not been determined.

STAR POWER
Three-time champ Tony Stewart's impact goes beyond driving. Check out his top accomplishments.

Stewart was running a winged 360 c.i. sprinter in Oskaloosa with the American Sprint Car Series and was leading when a lapped car spun in front of him. Stewart hit the lapped car, and his car flipped.

Witnesses said Stewart had to be helped from the car. He was put on a stretcher and taken to an ambulance.

''It looked like he got into a lapped car,'' race winner Brian Brown told The Des Moines Register. ''When I got close, he was flipping cage down. I didn't really have time to watch and see what was going on.

''First and foremost, we're concerned about Tony and making sure he's all right. He's a huge asset to our sport, especially sprint car racing and an icon in the whole motorsports field. Anytime you see him wreck like that and then leave in an ambulance, it's never good. Hopefully, he's OK. We weren't going to win that race. We were probably going to run third or fourth.''

Stewart’s wreck continued a recent trend for the 42-year-old driver in sprint car races. He also flipped last week at Ohsweken Speedway in Ontario, Canada, and caused a multicar pileup at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on July 16.

He was asked about that crash at Pocono Raceway last weekend.

"You mortals have got to learn," Stewart said. "You guys need to watch more sprint car videos and stuff. It was not a big deal. It's starting to get annoying this week about that, so that was just an average sprint car wreck. When they wreck they get upside down like that. That was not a big deal."

:th_10444:

famousdayandyear

Re: Stewart breaks leg in sprint race
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:31 pm »
Oh no.  Not my favorite driver!  He and his promotion of old-time dirt oval racing was the one hope I had for the revival of NASCAR.  Get well soon, Smoke!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:17 pm »

I'm thinking that Tony needs to learn to take better care of his sponsors' money.

They can't be happy about this and they shell out some big bucks.

Maybe Tony will learn something...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:15 pm »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:31:32 pm »

I'm thinking that Tony needs to learn to take better care of his sponsors' money.

They can't be happy about this and they shell out some big bucks.

Maybe Tony will learn something...

Er...to the racer-challenged:

Tony Stewart is financed by Stewart-Haas Racing.  The "Stewart" part is Tony--ie it is he who shells out the bucks.
Should we all get together and tell him how to spend his self-earned money?

By the way, ever seen a 'sprint' car?  It's basically a caged roll-bar strapped to a high HP V8 engine.  Oh, and with a winged stabliizer to keep it on the ground.  A short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-bLTab9k-U

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:46:55 pm »
Tony Stewart is financed by Stewart-Haas Racing.  The "Stewart" part is Tony--ie it is he who shells out the bucks.

Are you serious?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan