Author Topic: Japan Unveils Largest Warship Since WWII  (Read 1571 times)

Offline flowers

Japan Unveils Largest Warship Since WWII
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »

The ship has raised eyebrows in China and elsewhere because it bears a strong resemblance to a conventional aircraft carrier.

The Izumo, which has a flight deck that is nearly 250 metres (820ft feet) long, is designed to carry up to 14 helicopters.

Japanese officials say it will be used in national defence - particularly in anti-submarine warfare and border-area surveillance missions.

http://news.sky.com/story/1125173/japan-unveils-largest-warship-since-wwii

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Japan Unveils Largest Warship Since WWII
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:03 pm »
Is it just my terrible monitor, or is that flight deck angled up at the front?

Edit - my terrible monitor. Article states it doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:53:09 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »
I notice there's no Imperial Chrysthanamum on the bow. For our Chinese friends:Do the words AKAGI, KAGA, SORYU, HIRYU, ZUIKAKU, and SHOKAKU ring a bell? Before you flex your aircraft carrier muscle, remember the Japanese have forgotten more about carrier warfare than you'll ever know. And that's before we taught them the rest.  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:50:54 pm »
A carrier by any other name is still a carrier.  They did some design changes during construction so in the future, it would be very easy to add the MV-22 and F-35B to the ship.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton