Author Topic: Intercepted al Qaeda message led to shuttering embassies, consulates  (Read 1527 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/04/politics/us-embassies-close/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- An intercepted message among senior al Qaeda operatives in the last several days raised alarm bells that led to the closing of embassies and consulates Sunday across the Middle East and North Africa, CNN has learned.

CNN has agreed to a request from an Obama administration official not to publish or broadcast additional details because of the sensitivity of the information.

Several U.S. officials also emphasized they have been watching growing threats emerging from Yemen for weeks.

Those threats, combined with the coming end of the month of Ramadan, plus the concern over several major prison breaks in the region, all contributed to the U.S. decision to shut down diplomatic installations.

The shuttering of 22 U.S. embassies and consulates for the day Sunday amid fears of an al Qaeda attack is an unprecedented move.

So they shut down these embassies for the day or however long. what do they think  Al queda will do?  say drat we cannot attack now? I don't get it. Won't they just wait until they can attack?  I just don't trust a thing anymore from this sharia lovin' administration.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:32:14 pm by flowers »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Intercepted al Qaeda message led to shuttering embassies, consulates
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:25 pm »
I'm starting to think this is a completely made up "threat" in order to justify the NSA spying on everyone.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:39:10 pm »
I'm starting to think this is a completely made up "threat" in order to justify the NSA spying on everyone.

Exactly.  You read my mind, Cow.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:47:22 pm »
So let me get this straight.....

al Qaeda tested the NSA claim to be able to intercept every phone call.

they went out and bought a few dozen phones from the local 7-11 with 60 minutes on them.

They coordinated a false alarm to see what the US would do.

So now we know......we're trained rats.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 10:57:13 pm »

they went out and bought a few dozen phones from the local 7-11 with 60 minutes on them.

Just to make sure, their conversations included magic words like "tea party" in conjunction with "pressure cooker." Yep, sounds like a terrorist threat (and not just a chat about how to prepare chicken).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 02:57:55 am »
The government has used 9/11/01 to finish what the government schools started - turn everyone into mind-numbed robots who blindly follow whatever they say as gospel.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:04:17 am »

If this was a "test" by al qaeda, then it was most likely not just a simple "test the NSA" thing but, more likely, a test to find out how compromised their current communications structure is - and the fact that they got such a strong result indicates that their communications structure had been fairly well compromised.

However, what al qaeda also got as a bonus is this:  the current (mal)administration is so scared of another Benghazi, and so painfully aware of how inept it is, that they simply turned tail and reacted to this test by giving away the game - closing the embassies, thus telegraphing the fact that the US intercepted the communications, without getting anything back in return is giving away the game - rather than be put to the real test of having to in fact weigh the odds of this being a real warning or just a false-alarm, or to the test of actually having to defend a US embassy and its personnel.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:15:21 am »
My instincts tell me this whole gambit is a giant ruse set up by the idiots in the WH to distract the public from real issues that need to be addressed--and probably will never be.  Expect more false alarms in the next how many years.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:06:24 am »
However, what al qaeda also got as a bonus is this:  the current (mal)administration is so scared of another Benghazi, and so painfully aware of how inept it is, that they simply turned tail and reacted to this test by giving away the game - closing the embassies, thus telegraphing the fact that the US intercepted the communications, without getting anything back in return is giving away the game - rather than be put to the real test of having to in fact weigh the odds of this being a real warning or just a false-alarm, or to the test of actually having to defend a US embassy and its personnel.
Good point.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org