Author Topic: Presbyterian Church USA Ditched Hymn Because It Sings Biblical Truth  (Read 642 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mountaineer

Re: Presbyterian Church USA Ditched Hymn Because It Sings Biblical Truth
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »
I don't mean to offend any members of the Presbyterian Church USA but they, along with large segments of the Methodist Church and the Episcopalians have essentially abandoned the Gospel of Christ and adopted neopaganism as their religion. I am sorry to say that but it's true just as that line from the song is true.
Mr. M and I are elders in our PCUSA church - and I wholeheartedly agree. Our little congregation may be a "remnant," though, and we frequently sing Getty hymns. But the denomination is sinking fast.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
So much for the Presbyterian Church. I can only imagine the soft sermons. My dad was a loving dad, but I feared his wrath when I disobeyed. It's too bad wrath is too strong a word for their little minds.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Presbyterians are generally pretty vanilla--much like the church at Laodicea. 

Paraphrase from Christ to the Seven Churches:  "You are neither hot nor cold.  I will vomit you out of my mouth"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:01:58 PM by famousdayandyear »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »
There is something that does not sit quite right with me about that particular line.

It implies that God is taking out His wrath on His son, effectively putting the blood on His hands, when the crucifixion was, to put it bluntly, man's doing. The resurrection conquered that. It was not until the resurrection that the wrath of God was totally "satisfied." Man could go to the point of killing, but God could take all of it away by bringing Jesus back to life, and there is no greater putdown than that-- rendering one's best attack totally useless.

That notwithstanding, the replacement proposed by these Presbyterians blatantly screams "feel-good Jesus," which is far worse. I sing the original now and then at my local church and have never had a problem with it.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 12:15:49 AM »
There is something that does not sit quite right with me about that particular line.

It implies that God is taking out His wrath on His son, effectively putting the blood on His hands, when the crucifixion was, to put it bluntly, man's doing. The resurrection conquered that. It was not until the resurrection that the wrath of God was totally "satisfied." Man could go to the point of killing, but God could take all of it away by bringing Jesus back to life, and there is no greater putdown than that-- rendering one's best attack totally useless.

That notwithstanding, the replacement proposed by these Presbyterians blatantly screams "feel-good Jesus," which is far worse. I sing the original now and then at my local church and have never had a problem with it.

True, but why is it that, prior to the Crucifixion, atonement for sin always required a blood sacrifice?  For whatever reason, the expiation of sin - the pacification of God's wrath at the breach of His law - requires atonement by blood sacrifice.  Christ's sacrifice was the final, and ultimate, blood sacrifice for the expiation of sin.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf