Author Topic: Disability Awareness: 10 Things Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Disabilities  (Read 397 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline happyg

I have a disabled nephew because of RSV when he was 2 1/12 months old. When he was a teenager, he was swimming with the grandkids, and had a diaper on. The other kids asked why, and we told them he had a bad illness when he was a baby. That was enough for them. They then began looking out for him, and playing with him. He is 21 now, and in the same shape, but everyone gives him the attention a young child needs.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Kids are amazingly loving and accepting, once they understand something. :laugh:

It just becomes part of their world. When my mate Tom comes around, I tell the kids in advance - just say Uncle Tommy is coming to dinner - and the floor is spotless within 5 minutes. All toys away, no trip hazards and Lord forgive me if I have moved the sofa even slightly while cleaning! They also - except the youngest two - present themselves once he sits down so he can see them. Uncle Tommy sees with his hands. They accept it as totally normal.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf