Author Topic: Eagles excuse Cooper from team after racial slur  (Read 918 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Eagles excuse Cooper from team after racial slur
« on: August 03, 2013, 05:58:53 am »
His crime:
A video of Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper uttering a racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert surfaced Wednesday.

In the video, Cooper vowed to "fight every n-----" at the July concert in Philadelphia. Cooper issued an apology Wednesday afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9526303/riley-cooper-philadelphia-eagles-issues-apology-uttering-racial-slur-video

Ok, that's not nice but what interest me far more is how this fellow Cooper is now engaging in criticism/self criticism and is now off to the American equivalent of a reeducation camp.

The Philadelphia Eagles excused Riley Cooper from all team activities on Friday as the wide receiver deals with repercussions of being caught on video making a racial slur.

Cooper has been sent away from the team to get help with his issues, something the player and the team agreed upon. Coach Chip Kelly made it clear after Friday's practice, however, that Cooper would be back with the team when he's ready.

"There has never been any question of cutting Riley," Kelly said. "His status with us is not in question."

Cooper said the last few days have been incredibly difficult and he will step away to seek counseling.

"My actions were inexcusable," he said. "The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get. I keep trying to figure out how I could have said something so repulsive, and what I can do to make things better."

Cooper apologized profusely Wednesday after a video of him using a racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert last month surfaced on the Internet. The Eagles immediately fined him.

"Right now, I think it's important for me to take some time to reflect on this situation," Cooper said. "The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I've done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time."

The Eagles did not set a timetable for Cooper's return. The team is off Saturday. They will return Sunday and then will host the New England Patriots on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before playing the Patriots, Friday night in the preseason opener.

"He will meet with professionals provided by the Eagles during this period of time to better help him understand how his words have hurt so many, including his teammates," the team said in a statement.

http://www.charter.net/news/read/category/sports/article/ap-eagles_excuse_cooper_from_team-ap
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

Re: Eagles excuse Cooper from team after racial slur
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:55:37 pm »
Now an black ESPN host has called another ESPN host a n****r. What will happen to him?
Blitzed ex-Jet in race rant - hurls 'n-word' at his ESPN co-host
By KATE SHEEHY
Last Updated: 8:21 AM, August 7, 2013
Posted:  1:51 AM, August 7, 2013

Espn host and former Jets defensive star Hugh Douglas hit a co-host below the belt in a drunken tirade at a Florida bar — calling him “Uncle Tom’’ and a “house n----r,’’ sources said.

The hulking Douglas, 41, spit the slurs at “Numbers Never Lie’’ colleague Michael Smith after the boozed-up Douglas made a move to the deejay’s microphone at the House of Blues on Friday in Orlando, and Smith tried to stop Douglas from embarrassing himself, according to the Web site Deadspin.

The 6-foot-2, 280-pound Douglas was trying to get up on the stage when the bespectacled Smith told him to cut it out, sources said.

Douglas, a former defensive end, responded by allegedly threatening to flatten Smith — three times. The former grid star then grabbed Smith’s arm and hurled the racial slurs at him, sources told the sports site TheBigLead.

It was “very ugly,’’ one source said. Security and pals separated the pair, who are both black, before they came to blows. ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Eagles excuse Cooper from team after racial slur
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:00:43 pm »
Ok, that's not nice but what interest me far more is how this fellow Cooper is now engaging in criticism/self criticism and is now off to the American equivalent of a reeducation camp.

Unfortunately, there is no recovery for a white using the 'n-word'.

Blacks can use it all day long, but a white, never...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan