Author Topic: Britain's Conservatives hire Obama campaign chief in election role  (Read 1002 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/02/us-britain-conservatives-obama-idUSBRE97118E20130802

(Reuters) - Britain's governing Conservative Party has hired U.S. President Barack Obama's former campaign manager as part of its election team ahead of polls due in less than two years, the party said.

Jim Messina, a lifelong Democrat, is the latest appointment by Prime Minister David Cameron in a bid to win the party's first overall majority in over 20 years, against a weak economic backdrop and poor poll ratings.

Currently the chairman of a group that has raised millions of dollars to support Obama's legislative program, Messina is regarded as the mastermind behind the president's comfortable re-election in 2012 through the use of social media and voter information.

Confirming the move, a Conservative Party source told Reuters on Friday that Messina would report to senior Conservatives, including recently hired Australian election strategist Lynton Crosby.

"He will act as a campaign strategy adviser ahead of the next general election," the source said.

Formerly Obama's deputy chief of staff, Messina helped push Congress to overturn a ban on openly gay military personnel serving in the U.S. military.

'LONG ADMIRED'

Messina told the BBC on Friday that his new role would not mean leaving the United States.

"I have long admired Prime Minister Cameron," he said.

"While I will not be moving to London, nor will I be managing any type of day-to-day political operations, I will be offering strategic campaign advice leading up to 2015."

Messina could not immediately be reached for comment by Reuters.

The appointment will be seen as unconventional in some quarters, with Britain's center-right Conservatives traditionally enjoying better relations with more like-minded Republicans.

The Democrats and Britain's left-of-center main opposition Labour Party have tended to share more common ground.

But transatlantic party alignments appear to have shifted in recent years.

Former Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair enjoyed close ties with Republican President George W. Bush over the Iraq war, while Cameron appeared with Obama in the battleground state of Ohio

:th_10444:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Britain's Conservatives hire Obama campaign chief in election role
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:34 am »
Good Lord. What next?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Britain's Conservatives hire Obama campaign chief in election role
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:03 am »
Good Lord. What next?

Since we had an article a couple of weeks ago saying Cameron is a conservative in name only, this doesn't surprise me.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776