Author Topic: What To Do When A Recruiter Comes Calling  (Read 1468 times)

Offline xfreeper

What To Do When A Recruiter Comes Calling
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »
What To Do When A Recruiter Comes Calling

How do you react when a recruiter calls? Do you clam up, nervous and distrusting? Do you assume your hushed voice and hurriedly push through the call? Or, are you energized and inviting, excited about the potential opportunity to connect with this agent of change?

Read more: http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/recruiter-calling/#ixzz2apdOB3AU

Offline xfreeper

Re: What To Do When A Recruiter Comes Calling
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
As a recruiter I am often fascinated by the reaction to my calls. Here is some practical information for anyone interested

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:57:06 am »
What industry do you recruit in?

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:35:06 am »
PM sent. Don't want anyone to think I'm trolling for business

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:01:57 am »
PM sent. Don't want anyone to think I'm trolling for business

Not at all.  I used to get calls from recruiters and it's definitely a good idea to be polite and constructive even if you aren't in the least bit interested in looking elsewhere - aside from the obvious issues of basic professionalism, you never know when you might need some help from someone whose forte is networking, and recruiters are usually very good networkers.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:44:49 am »
As a recruiter I am often fascinated by the reaction to my calls. Here is some practical information for anyone interested

Very interesting read, thank you!

You can also inquire as to why the opportunity is available. Did someone quit? Is an underperforming employee being replaced? Is this a new position being created to fulfill an unmet revenue, profit or operational need?

That is the big question. The 4th option - especially in the current climate - is "Are people fleeing the company before it sinks?"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:48:30 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 03:54:34 am »
Two quick points: First, nearly 100% of the people I contact will tell me they are very happy where they are and have no interest in making a change. I usually will explain to them that's one of the reasons I'm calling them. When I'm making contact on someone's behalf it's not as though they want me calling unhappy and disgruntled people so that they can go somewhere and make the people there miserable also.
Secondly, I don't think there are too many recruiters that want to have a role in people moving to a 'sinking' ship. An exception would be if someone is being courted for their 'turn around' skills and the situation is presented that way up front.
My situation is a little unique in that I don't recruit people for open positions. If I locate a candidate that meets certain criteria, the companies I recruit for will gladly make a place for them.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:08:00 am »
Thank you! I love hearing about other peoples jobs  :laugh:

It is invariably fascinating. OK, you might wind up in a book or short though.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:08:47 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink