Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey, historian  (Read 815 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Oprah Winfrey, historian
« on: August 01, 2013, 06:13:05 am »
This week Oprah, in order to promote her new movie The Butler, gave an interview to Parade Magazine in which she stated:

You cannot be my friend and use that word [the N word] around me. It shows my age, but I feel strongly about it. … I always think of the millions of people who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree.

http://imnotobsessed.com/2013/07/31/oprah-winfrey-oprah-talks-racism-movie-the-butler-weekends-parade/

Uh huh. Unfortunately for Gail's main squeeze
According to information gleaned from the archives at the Tuskegee Institute, 4,743 were lynched between 1882 and 1968 — not the millions claimed by Winfrey.
[Note: One can assume even she will accept historical data from Tuskegee]

Now this is not to suggest that even one lynching is acceptable. But it's the ongoing pastime of Liberals to rewrite history to suit ideology and this is but one example of that.

I suspect Ms Winfrey believes what she is saying. After all, she is hardly the brightest bulb in the lamp. But others will read this and, because it's Oprah, will accept it as Gospel, little knowing or caring it is a gross exaggeration as is much of American "history" currently.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/joe-newby/2013/07/31/oprah-winfrey-falsely-claims-millions-black-americans-were-lynched
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mountaineer

Re: Oprah Winfrey, historian
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:04 pm »
But others will read this and, because it's Oprah, will accept it as Gospel, little knowing or caring it is a gross exaggeration as is much of American "history" currently.
The "Big Lie" strategy has been adopted by the left on a number of topics, it seems.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:38:22 pm »
Oprah Winfrey, historian

The title made me LOL!   :laugh:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:16:43 pm »
But others will read this and, because it's Oprah, will accept it as Gospel
Five years ago, this may have been true. However, realize that Oprah has faded well into obscurity because of her ill-advised move to her own cable network two years ago. Now, the names she used to lift to prominence-- the Phil McGraws, the Tyler Perrys, and so on-- are the ones Oprah needs to lean on to prop up her channel. The only significant ratings she's had since the move to OWN were for her big-name interviews with Whitney Houston's family and Lance Armstrong, the latter buoyed by all the steroids hype.

I do see she's picked up a couple stalwart soap operas-- All My Children and One Life to Live-- for the daytime. It's a smart move for her, as it gives OWN the audience that used to watch her show.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024