Author Topic: Duchess of Cambridge makes Vanity Fair's International Best Dressed List for fourth time, while Michelle Obama gets the chop  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2381976/Vanity-Fairs-International-Best-Dressed-List-published-today--Kate-Middleton-makes-cut-Michelle-Obamas-given-dressing-down.html

Duchess of Cambridge makes Vanity Fair's International Best Dressed List for fourth time, while Michelle Obama gets the chop

Kate, a veteran of the List, has been on it four times
    Chinese First Lady included - while Michelle and SamCam aren't
    Beyonce, Dita von Teese and Keith Richards included for the first time

By Charlie Mccann

PUBLISHED: 13:16 EST, 31 July 2013 | UPDATED: 16:08 EST, 31 July 2013

Every year, the fashion world waits with baited breath for Vanity Fair to draw up its famous International Best-Dressed List.

And now the wait is finally over as the most fashionable people of 2013 have been declared.

Some of the choices were far from surprising. The Duchess of Cambridge makes the list for the fourth time since she first appeared in 2008.

And the Duchess of Cambridge doesn't want for royal companions either. Princess Letizia of Asturias is also on the List, as is Princess Madeleine of Sweden.

Scandal actress Kerry Washington, who graced the cover of the magazine's August issue, made the number one spot.

Gisele Bundchen, Charlize Theron and Justin Timberlake also appeared, as did Stella Tenant.

Victoria Beckham was also listed.
There were the obvious choices, and then the more intriguing ones. Peng Liyuan, the wife of the Chinese President Xi Jinping, makes her debut this year. It's an interesting choice; Peng, who is also a singer and performing artist, has been feted for adding some glamour to her husband's staid office.

But if the List charts those whose star is on the rise, those whom it excludes must feel the burn. With that in mind, it's interesting that the List's compilers have failed to include Michelle Obama - for the second year running. (Barak hasn't appeared since 2009).

In fact, the wives of Western politicians are conspicuously absent. Samantha Cameron hasn't appeared since she was included for the first time in 2010. And, while Carla Bruni-Sarkozy is a veteran of the List, having appeared four times, the wife of the former French president isn't in the List this year.

For some, the List is a sacred affair, but there are those who treat it more lightheartedly. While Lara Stone, appearing in the Couples category with husband David Walliams, said her favourite item of clothing is 'my wedding dress, made by Riccardo Tisci', David said his were his 'Charvet pajamas'.

He added that his style icon is Italian actress 'Omella Muti as Princess Aura in Flash Gordon.'

When asked who his is, Keith Richards, new to the List, responded, 'Why should I [have one]... I am one!' He also insisted that 'I don't shop!'

Other newbies include Beyonce and Dita von Teese. The burlesque dancer said her favourite article of clothing is "The 'Hussar' gown from Jean Paul Gaultier's 2002 winter haute couture collection.' Fittingly, her style icons are 'the women of 1940s-era fetish artist John Willie.'

Ronan Farrow, a writer, human-rights lawyer and diplomat but better known as the son of Mia Farrow and Woody Allen, was also included.

For the first time in its history, the fashion's who's who has been opened up to the public. The International Best-Dressed Challenge, as it was known, invited submissions from readers. Fashion blogger Hallie Swanson and interior Designer Darren Henault were selected.

Swanson's style icon is Miranda Kerr; Henault's styel icon is 'Bill Blass with a touch of Pee-wee Herman and the Mad Hatter thrown in'.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yay for Dita!!!!!!

Hey - I have always liked her.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

The fact that she has ever appeared on such a list is incomprehensible to me.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Same reason Obama won a Nobel.  Getting rewarded for nothing is liberal dream--they love to bestow awards on each other.