Author Topic: Many disability recipients admit they could work  (Read 1362 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Many disability recipients admit they could work
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:48:25 pm »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/exography-many-disability-recipients-admit-they-could-work/article/2533626

EXography: Many disability recipients admit they could work
By LUKE ROSIAK | JULY 30, 2013 AT 10:30 AM

Recipients of federal disability checks often admit that they are capable of working but cannot or will not find a job, that those closest to them tell them they should be working, and that working to get off the disability rolls is not among their goals.

More baffling, most have never received significant medical treatment and not seen a doctor about their condition in the last year, even though medical problems are the official reason they don't work. Those who acknowledge they're on disability because they can't find a job say they make little effort to find one, according to a Washington Examiner analysis of federal survey results.

Unearned disability, called SSI, is for individuals who have petitioned to be classified as disabled. Many of them have never worked and have never paid into Social Security. Earned disability, or SSDI, is for those who have held jobs for significant periods of time and paid at least partially into Social Security before becoming disabled.

continued at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

Re: Many disability recipients admit they could work
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:01:42 pm »
I'm on SSI.  I get a check for $1100.00/month.  I worked 25 years prior to disability.  Well 28 if you take into consideration I worked 50+ hour weeks for 7 years.  I don't get food stamps, rental assistance or Obamaphone, although I would probably be eligible.  I don't work "under the table" in some fantasy black market economy, lighting cigars with $100 bills.
During that same 25 year period, I could have retired from quite a few government jobs, with full pension and benefits.  There was no problem when the government was confiscating 6% of my pay for various programs.  Oh, that's right, 3% was "contributed" by my employer  :silly:.
Now all the sudden there's a problem with people who collect disability.  How remarkable it is we can find all those on disability while the "undocumented" and "the poorest among us" are somehow excused.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:00:55 am »
I'm on SSI.  I get a check for $1100.00/month.  I worked 25 years prior to disability.  Well 28 if you take into consideration I worked 50+ hour weeks for 7 years.  I don't get food stamps, rental assistance or Obamaphone, although I would probably be eligible.  I don't work "under the table" in some fantasy black market economy, lighting cigars with $100 bills.
During that same 25 year period, I could have retired from quite a few government jobs, with full pension and benefits.  There was no problem when the government was confiscating 6% of my pay for various programs.  Oh, that's right, 3% was "contributed" by my employer  :silly:.
Now all the sudden there's a problem with people who collect disability.  How remarkable it is we can find all those on disability while the "undocumented" and "the poorest among us" are somehow excused.

You're being too sensitive by far; the problem isn't with people who collect disability, the problem is with people who collect disability when, in substance, they shouldn't be collecting disability.  And yes, that is a very serious problem in some places, such as in NY.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »
You're being too sensitive by far; the problem isn't with people who collect disability, the problem is with people who collect disability when, in substance, they shouldn't be collecting disability.  And yes, that is a very serious problem in some places, such as in NY.

I don't disagree there are people who are collecting that shouldn't be.  My problem is with people who focus on those who gather crumbs while loaves are being stolen.
This is basically another attempt at the death panel by subtler means.  If you can't harvest your daily pound of rice comrade ...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:17:30 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.