Author Topic: Jay-Z Declares ‘My Presence is Charity’  (Read 762 times)

Offline flowers

Jay-Z Declares ‘My Presence is Charity’
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »
Jay-Z has responded to criticism from legendary actor and activist Harry Belafonte that the rapper has failed to use his celebrity in a social responsibly way. Last year, Belafonte reportedly said “I think one of the great abuses of this modern time is that we should have had such high-profile artists, powerful celebrities. But they have turned their back on social responsibility. That goes for Jay-Z and Beyonce, for example. Give me Bruce Springsteen, and now you’re talking. I really think he is black.” During a recent interview with Rap Radar’s Elliott Wilson (carried on Jay-Z’s Life+Times YouTube channel),  Jay-Z said,“I’m offended by that because first of all, and this is going to sound arrogant, but my presence is charity. Just who I am. Just like Obama’s is. Obama provides hope. Whether he does anything, the hope that he provides for a nation, and outside of America is enough.” He continued, “Just being who he is. You’re the first black president. If he speaks on any issue or anything he should be left alone… Of course we want to challenge him to do better. I felt Belafonte he just went about it wrong. Like the way he did it in the media, and then he big upped Bruce Springsteen or somebody. And it was like, ‘whoa,’ you just sent the wrong message all the way around…Bruce Springsteen is a great guy. You’re this Civil Rights activist and you just big upped the white guy against me in the white media. And I’m not saying that in a racial way. I’m just saying what it is. The fact of what it was. And that was just the wrong way to go about it.”

A representative for Jay Z declined to comment.

This isn’t the first time Jay Z has addressed his conflict with Belafonte. The rapper made the activist a line in the song “Nickles and Dimes” from his most recent album “Magna Carta Holy Grail.”

Since the back and forth, Belafonte has requested a sit down, telling MSNBC, “I would hope with all my heart, that Jay-Z not take personally what was said because it was not said to him personally. …I would like to take this opportunity to say to Jay Z and Beyonce: I’m wide open, my heart is filled with nothing but hope and the promise that

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/07/29/jay-z-declares-my-presence-is-charity/?mod=trending_now_2

:th_10444:

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Jay-Z Declares ‘My Presence is Charity’
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:56:10 pm »
Curses on Belafonte for his servility toward the White Media.

Bruce Springsteen is a great guy. You’re this Civil Rights activist and you just big upped the white guy against me in the white media. And I’m not saying that in a racial way. I’m just saying what it is.

:silly:
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

Re: Jay-Z Declares ‘My Presence is Charity’
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:22:03 pm »
My most sincere and heartfelt comment to both Jay-Z and Belafonte:  f___ you.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org