Author Topic: The Frugal Recipe Thread.  (Read 6146 times)

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • French entertainment is a waste of mime.
The Frugal Recipe Thread.
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »
Figured it might be fun to do this, considering the amount of cooks we have here.

Two rules.

It must be a full meal - cheese on toast doesn't count, no matter how yummy it is.
It must cost less than $3 (or equivalent) per person.

Leftovers count at a nominal cost - I'll leave that to your conscience how you price it.
Anyone who tells you you can't buy happiness has never been in a book store or an animal shelter.

You are the result of 3 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
Re: The Frugal Recipe Thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »
Tabbouleh with Pita.

Pack of pita bread - 99 cents for 6.
Packet of couscous - $1.20
One clove garlic - About 5 cents.
One red onion - 20 cents.
3 large bell peppers - $2.
Dash of hot sauce - 10 cents.
Spicing - 10 cents per spice.
Fresh parsley - $1 per bunch.
One lemon -  40 cents.

Prepare the couscous according to the instructions. Let it cool completely. Flick it lightly with a fork as it cools to keep it fluffy and light.
Finely chop the vegetables into very small cubes. The smaller the nicer. Stir into the couscous and refrigerate for one hour.
Stir them into the couscous. Add the spicing - pepper, cumin, coriander are recommended.

Prepare the pita breads by dry frying until they are easily opened to form pockets. Spread a thin layer of hot sauce inside the pocket, then spoon the tabbouleh mixture into the bread. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Serves 4.
Anyone who tells you you can't buy happiness has never been in a book store or an animal shelter.

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:16 AM »
Eternal Stew

This one I honestly don't know how to price up. Done right, it can keep going for months and is a dirt cheap way to feed a family. The longest I had one of these running was 4 months, and it was feeding (and filling) 4 of us every night.

Biggest pan you have, with a well fitting lid.
4 large white onions.
6 carrots
5 stalks of celery
2 potatoes
Tin of beans or fresh beans or frozen beans.
Tin tomatoes
Whatever meat is dirt cheap because it is reduced due to display by date
half a pack frozen prawns.
100 grams dry mushrooms
Stock cube
Tblspoon oil - I prefer olive but your call.
2 tblspoons flour
Pepper.
Any leftover red wine you have.

No salt!!!

Chop and peel the hard veggies. Dice the meat into cubes the size of your thumbnail, and roll in flour. Presoak the dried mushrooms in a cup of hot water.

Heat the oil in the pan and brown the meat without over cooking it. 2 minutes should be enough. Remove the meat, reduce the heat under the pan, and add the hard veggies. Cook until the onions are slightly soft and the edges are transparent.
Add the wine and the juice from the dried mushrooms. Add the prawns, the tomatoes, beans and the browned meat. Dissolve the stock cube in hot water and pour it over until the pan is virtually full.

Simmer for 4 hours. Serve in bowls, garnished with Basil and with a large piece of bread.

The reason I call this eternal stew is the leftovers from one day make the next day's meal. Just add whatever you get cheap at the market and re-cook. Meat, veggies, the odd tin of tomatoes or beans. You can pretty much put anything in and the flavor develops wonderfully over the months.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
Massadvj's Pasta a la Cheapo

Two packages of Ramen
One can Progresso Soup (flavor of your choice)

Boil Ramen.  Drain.  Heat Soup.  Stir in noodles.

I lived on this in grad school and I still make it at times when wifey is out of town.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
I use macaroni instead of Ramen, but same idea - usually use cream of tomato or cream of mushroom soup. It's fast and delicious with a little grated cheese. Just add a dollop milk to the soup to lighten it up slightly (not needed if you don't add grated cheese).

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
DC's "Poor Man's Spaghetti"

*  olive oil  1/2 cup
*  fresh minced garlic  6 cloves
*  red pepper flakes
*  chopped parsley tops
*  3 - 4 eggs
*  Barilla thin spaghetti.

Sautee the garlic in the olive oil...don not let burn ....add red pepper flakes .and set aside

Prepare noodles

Prepare the eggs sunny side up

Drain all the water EXCEPT enough to keep noodles submerged.....add the olive oil mixture and the eggs.

Use a fork to break the yokes and shredded pieces will appear.   Add parsley.

Use a large bowl as opposed to a flat dinner plate and pour juice over your prepared entree.

Enjoy!

Used to eat this a couple of times a week....when mortgage interest rates were double digits.  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"I am responsible for what I say.  I am not responsible for what your understand."  ...me

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
Has anyone tried the Barilla Plus--the higher protein pasta?   (Sorry for the size of the pic).  I tried it for the first time over the weekend.  It is really delicious and a cheap way to add protein to a meatless pasta dish.  In the summer, I love to toss hot pasta and parm shavings with fresh cut up summer tomatoes/garlic/hot pepper flakes/fresh basil/ sautéed in a little olive oil-add the basil after the pasta is tossed and as DC says--don't burn the garlic!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:20:19 AM by Lipstick on a Hillary »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »

Has anyone tried the Barilla Plus--the higher protein pasta?   (Sorry for the size of the pic).  I tried it for the first time over the weekend.  It is really delicious and a cheap way to add protein to a meatless pasta dish.  In the summer, I love to toss hot pasta and parm shavings with fresh cut up summer tomatoes/garlic/hot pepper flakes/fresh basil/ sautéed in a little olive oil-add the basil after the pasta is tossed and as DC says--don't burn the garlic!

Wheat pasta....??     :pondering:

Based upon your recommendation I will pick some up next time at the grocery store.

I was raised on Wonder Bread...."builds strong bodies 8 ways!"

Have a hard time ordering wheat bread...let alone having any in my house.  LOL!

...not that I don't enjoy pumpernickel with hot brisket, coleslaw, sweet munchie cheese, Russian dressing and yellow mustard.     :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:52:22 AM by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"I am responsible for what I say.  I am not responsible for what your understand."  ...me

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
Wholewheat/fortified pasta is wonderful. Only suggestion is cook it slightly less than you would do normal pasta. It tends to go gluey more easily. And don't expect to be able to reheat it - that doesn't work.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
Wheat pasta....??     :pondering:

Based upon your recommendation I will pick some up next time at the grocery store.

I was raised on Wonder Bread...."builds strong bodies 8 ways!"

Have a hard time ordering wheat bread...let alone having any in my house.  LOL!

...not that I don't enjoy pumpernickel with hot brisket, coleslaw, sweet munchie cheese, Russian dressing and yellow mustard.     :laugh:

I don't know that this is the wheat pasta we've all seen before(and I have never cared for).  THIS is fortified with egg whites and legumes to add the protein.  Its quite good, I think you'll like it.  I don't think its the same as the wheat stuff, but I could be wrong.   It tastes a lot better, that's for sure.

Online flowers

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
Hubby uses the wheat pasta. I don't like it. Then again it just may be the brand. 

Online flowers

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »
Massadvj's Pasta a la Cheapo

Two packages of Ramen
One can Progresso Soup (flavor of your choice)

Boil Ramen.  Drain.  Heat Soup.  Stir in noodles.

I lived on this in grad school and I still make it at times when wifey is out of town.

add chopped onions

add chopped celery

after it is all mixed together  put a couple drops of the Green Tabasco sauce on it. Yummy.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
Hubby uses the wheat pasta. I don't like it. Then again it just may be the brand.

Barilla IMO, is the best....because it's hard to overcook it.

Follow the directions for perfect al dente every time.

Giant Food has it 4 for $5.  Can't beat that with a stick!  LOL!

....and  would NEVER NEVER NEVER reheat pasta.    at any price.

Online flowers

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »

I cannot remember right now the brand he buys. It just tastes awful. I have tried to cook it myself and it still tasted awful.. Real grainy and tasted like cardboard.  Maybe I will buy a different brand at the store next time?

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Trader Joe's pasta is great too, if you're lucky enough to have one close.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
add chopped onions

add chopped celery

after it is all mixed together  put a couple drops of the Green Tabasco sauce on it. Yummy.

I think that would add quite a bit to it.  On occasion I did add frozen veggies to my concoction but I like your variation better.
"She only coughs when she lies."

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
I had a kind of coleslaw at someone's home the other evening, and it had crunchy ramen noodles in it.  It was delicious--I'll see if I can get the recipe.

Online flowers

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »
I think that would add quite a bit to it.  On occasion I did add frozen veggies to my concoction but I like your variation better.
Frozen veggies would work well.  The Green Tabasco sauce kicks it off.

:th_10444:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »
I had a kind of coleslaw at someone's home the other evening, and it had crunchy ramen noodles in it.  It was delicious--I'll see if I can get the recipe.
I've had something like that with chow mein noodles. If you can get the recipe, please post it.
Just being unique doesn't make you useful.

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 03:00:30 AM »
What do you think of offal? Most think it is food only suitable for dogs or cats. It is actually incredibly tasty.

Liver Bake.

1 pound sliced liver - $1.50
2 carrots - 20 cents
6 large potatoes - $1
1 large onion - 30 cents
1/2 white cabbage - 90 cents
1 pint good beer - hey, your choice
1/2 pint milk - 40 cents
6 Tbsp flour - 20 cents
Chicken stock cube - 10 cents
Thyme - free if you grow it, otherwise 40 cents.

Soak the liver in milk for a minimum of one hour.
Set the oven to 350F, 160C
Dredge the liver in flour and lightly fry for one minute per side to give colour and texture. The milk is either thrown away or fed to pets.
Peel the carrot and onion and slice into rounds and place in an oven proof dish.
Put the thyme on top of the onion and carrot and carefully cover with the liver.
Slice the potato finely - I use a mandolin - and layer over the liver.
Pour in the bottle of beer.
Make enough chicken stock so the potato topping is just covered.
Sprinkle a little pepper on the top.
Cover your oven dish with it's lid or foil
Bake for 90 minutes.

Slice the cabbage finely and steam for 5 minutes. I do like adding caraway seeds to cabbage, but it is an acquired taste.
Plate up.

Feeds 6 comfortably.

Note: Regarding salt. Most of my recipes do not have salt in the cooking process (I learned to cook for my parents, both of who can't have salt). For many recipes, you can season to taste. For this one - no salt during cooking. It makes the liver tough.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:03:05 AM by EC »

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 02:41:02 AM »
Persian Lamb

Half pound diced lamb
Pound of rice
Two tins of kidney beans (or two cups if you soak your own from dry)
Bay leaf.
Coriander powder
One small chili (or two good pinches of chili flakes)
One dried lime or the juice of one fresh one
Three cardamom pods
about an inch long stick of cinamon
Olive oil

If you are using dry kidney beans - soak them over night, then boil in two changes of water until cooked. If you are using canned, just give them a rinse with boiling water and forget about them.

Put oil in a heavy bottomed pan, crush and add the spices then, when the oil is gently sizzling, add the lamb. Cook until golden, then remove from the heat.
Cook your rice according to instructions, including the dried lime or lime juice in the pot. When it is almost cooked, remove from the heat and drain. Stir in the beans and the cooked lamb. I tend not to add the oil from the lamb to the dish, but others do.

Feeds 6, or 8 if you have some good flat bread and pickle. Just warn people there might be bits of dried lime or cinamon in their next forkfull!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »

Barilla is great, but IMHO, the best pasta is De Cecco.  :0012:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:55 AM »
Hi love. Pop this in the frugal recipe thread please, as well as giving it to Miss Silverton? And for god's sake, put some of your own recipes in!

Everything Fritters:

1 tin corned beef.
Half cup dried onion.
Kilo of potato flakes.
Cup of polenta.
Teaspoon of ground coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper,  and half a chili.
One egg. Two if you are feeling generous.
Small amount of flour
Good oil - olive oil is preferred, but Popeye might complain at that.

Mix the polenta, potato flakes and dried onion. Add water, as per instructions, but you basically want a thick paste texture. If you can leave the spoon in the mix and it is still standing two minutes later, you got it about right. Dice the corned beef finely and stir in along with the spices. It should be meatball texture before you add the eggs. Easier to mix the eggs separately then add them, so you don't have to constantly stir a huge bowl of things.

By now, the texture should be really thick and almost dry feeling. Form into patties, dust lightly with flour and fry in the oil, 2 minutes per side. They will puff up as you fry them, so expect that. Sometimes you'll get one with a bit too much egg and it expands like mad.

I like them with whatever salad we can find, or with roasted peppers. Feeds 10 comfortably.

The reason all ingredients are dehydrated is that is what we have here. Fresh is obviously better, but the texture is the key.

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
Making Texans Scream

Yeah - I put beans in my chili - cope with it. Or cook them with the rice.

1lb lean beef mince.
2 onions - prefer red but any works
1 clove garlic
1 bell pepper - green, for preference
1/2 lb mushrooms
2 large tomatoes
2 tins kidney beans
a pint of passata
1 large glass of red wine - merlot for us.
tsp each of cumin, coriander, chilli pepper and brown sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper, nigella and mustard seed

Grind the spices finely. Chop the veg to about the same size as the kidney beans. Throw everything into the pot (remember to rinse the beans in warm water) put on the lid and bake for 2 hours at 180C, stirring once and once only.

Serve with rice and flatbread, garnished with parsley or coriander. Serves 10.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
I put beans in my chili too EC!  What is passata?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:44:26 PM by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf