Author Topic: France is dancing on a volcano, and Europe may go up in flames  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10202556/France-is-dancing-on-a-volcano-and-Europe-may-go-up-in-flames.html

France is dancing on a volcano, and Europe may go up in flames

The economy is on the slide, but the French are convinced their 'model’ is still the best
There is a general perception that the French have an innate understanding about the quality of life

By Felix Marquardt

8:11PM BST 25 Jul 2013

During the Bastille Day celebrations this month, François Hollande declared – to the incredulity of pretty much everyone in France – that “the recovery is here”. There are no particular economic indicators that would suggest this. Consumer spending and manufacturing remain at historic lows; growth in the third quarter is expected to be zero; the OECD has predicted that unemployment will actually be worse next year; and only this week a senior member of the FPD, Germany’s junior coalition partner, pronounced that he was “very worried” about France, arguing that Hollande’s decision to raise taxes was “fundamentally wrong”.

As an Austrian-American born and raised in Paris, and still living there, I have always been intrigued by the French faith in the French way. No other country – save the United States – is as persuaded that it embodies a universal model for human societies. Indeed, like so many other politicians before him, Hollande seemed to be displaying an absolute faith not in economic statistics, but simply in his nation. This is France, the president seemed to be saying, so voilà.

France does, to be sure, boast many assets. There is its famous healthcare system, one of the world’s highest quality and most generous. A country of engineers, France rightly prides itself on having some of the best infrastructure. It has by far the largest number of corporate champions for a country its size, across a host of sectors. Its family policies have produced Europe’s highest fertility rate. Then there is the general perception that France offers a better work-life balance, and an innate cultural understanding about quality of life: great food, what the British writer Roger Cohen has called “the only wine worth drinking”, unrivalled fashion design, some of the world’s grandest old buildings – and lots of paid holidays.

But a system whose economic performance is mediocre in times of prosperity and plain lousy in times of crisis can hardly purport to be a “model”. And sadly, the same advantages that make the French believe in their system are also what make the country so unprepared for reform. World-class public infrastructure and the safety net of the welfare state have kept the French relatively shielded from the worst effects of the financial crisis so far. But they have also shielded them from reality. The reality is that France is dancing on a volcano. Add to that a tradition of posturing among politicians (President Hollande recently decreed that the eurozone crisis was “over”) and a chronic lack of courage among the political class in telling their constituents the truth (that the current system as it stands is doomed), and what you get is a people who live in la-la land.

There is no lack of proposals for reform – an abundance of action plans have recommended all sorts of ways to reduce public spending, shrink the debt, reduce unemployment, reboot the economy and, in short, save France. But another national attribute is such a driving passion for ideology that conversations about politics or the economy are unlikely ever to lead to action, since the debate tends to be more about who has the loveliest ideas rather than who is best at dealing with reality.

Believe it or not, some of the harshest attacks on Hollande’s presidency come not from the Right but the Left. Many are actually arguing that the government has sold out to conservative ideology. It almost makes you feel sorry for him.

Yet the emperor has no clothes – and the sting of reality is going to be harsh when, please pardon my French, la merde hits the fan. As a result of a protracted recession and high unemployment, more and more people in France have stopped spending. Foreign investment has dropped, and there is little chance France will meet its budget targets, creating a downward spiral that has many – not least the Germans – worrying that one of Europe’s biggest economies might follow the path of Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy.

This claim will doubtless anger many in France, despite their insistence that they love a good, heated debate. The French judge an utterance not only on its merits, but also by who is behind it. They tend to think that you need to be a woman to express views on gender, homosexual to have an opinion about gay rights – and French to judge the French système.

This is not about Schadenfreude. France’s decline and fall is a tragedy not just for those of us here in Paris, but for the whole continent. As Metternich once said: “When Paris sneezes, Europe catches a cold.” Or, as Rainer Brüderle, that German minister, said this week: “If France doesn’t get back on its feet, that would be tragic… we can’t manage without France.”

It’s not just the economic impact – much as the British may scoff, France remains an important and influential ally, playing a crucial role in the global conversation. And at a moment when the European project stands at a particularly crucial threshold — effectively, integration or death — the continent, and the world, really can’t afford to lose France. Both for its own sake and for everyone else’s, the country needs to wake up.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Re: France is dancing on a volcano, and Europe may go up in flames
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:41:26 am »
It’s not just the economic impact – much as the British may scoff, France remains an important and influential ally, playing a crucial role in the global conversation. And at a moment when the European project stands at a particularly crucial threshold — effectively, integration or death — the continent, and the world, really can’t afford to lose France. Both for its own sake and for everyone else’s, the country needs to wake up.

The same thing could have been said of France at the beginning of WWII:  France constituted a valuable, well nigh indispensable bulwark against the Nazis, without whom Europe would not survive - Europe really couldn't afford to lose France, and for its sake and Europe's sake, the French should have woken up.  In other words, France might be necessary, but it cannot fulfill its role and therefore one should simply act on the basis that France is not there, is not important, and will never wake up.  Bigger fools by far than the foolish French are those other countries that continue to believe the French matter and continue to arrange their affairs on the assumption that France will step up to the plate.  This is a foolish notion, particularly after WWII; fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.  Shame on all those other countries that continue to act as if France mattered.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:08 am »
I'm just waiting for the next major European war.  It's coming; the only questions are when and who will be on the opposing sides this time.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:54 am »
I'm just waiting for the next major European war.  It's coming; the only questions are when and who will be on the opposing sides this time.

And what will set it off.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:08 am »
And what will set it off.

Something asinine most likely.

I remember one study I read in college predicted that it would be basically the old Soviet bloc and Germany against the France, Spain, and Italy initially.  The small countries would try to stay neutral (good luck with that) and Britain would try to stay out of it but would get drawn in anyway.  This study also said the US would quickly withdraw from Europe because by that point, we would not have the military to fight with and all we could do is pull back to the US and prepare for the defense of North America should Britain and France lose.  Their predicted cause was that it would be something economic.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:48 am »

I remember one study I read in college predicted that it would be basically the old Soviet bloc and Germany against the France, Spain, and Italy initially.  The small countries would try to stay neutral (good luck with that) and Britain would try to stay out of it but would get drawn in anyway.  This study also said the US would quickly withdraw from Europe because by that point, we would not have the military to fight with and all we could do is pull back to the US and prepare for the defense of North America should Britain and France lose.  Their predicted cause was that it would be something economic.

However, what appears to be lacking, in comparison to WWI and WWII, is any real emotional incentives that would drive one country to try and annex the territory of another.  Right now it seems that a fight between the Continentals would basically consist of closed borders and harsh, punitive economic laws, like high tariffs, rather than the armies of one country marching into other countries in order to conquer them.

Of course, if the radical muslim population of one or more of the Continental countries were to take control of that country, then I can clearly see how another war of conquest would start.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:36:17 am »
However, what appears to be lacking, in comparison to WWI and WWII, is any real emotional incentives that would drive one country to try and annex the territory of another.  Right now it seems that a fight between the Continentals would basically consist of closed borders and harsh, punitive economic laws, like high tariffs, rather than the armies of one country marching into other countries in order to conquer them.

Of course, if the radical muslim population of one or more of the Continental countries were to take control of that country, then I can clearly see how another war of conquest would start.

True, we're not set like we were before the first two world wars.  The prediction was a total economic collapse by one side/region who would eventually decide that it's best to try a military solution, or die fighting.  Muslims aren't close enough yet to being anywhere near a majority so while they can cause trouble, they can take over in the short term.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:09 pm »
It strikes me that we don't see the nationalism of years past. European countries fly the blue EU flag alongside their tired old national flags (a jarring site to see on national holidays, as Mr. M and I saw in France). The remaining nationalists, e.g., Serbs, are vilified for their irrational and fanatical devotion to homeland.

This study also said the US would quickly withdraw from Europe because by that point, we would not have the military to fight with and all we could do is pull back to the US and prepare for the defense of North America should Britain and France lose.
A likely thing, given Obama's "management" of our military.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:42:16 pm »
A likely thing, given Obama's "management" of our military.

And the study I'm quoting from dates back to the late 1990s.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 12:29:43 am »

I'd suggest energy. The old Soviet Bloc exports natural gas to most of Europe. If they turn off the pipelines it would be chaos, with only Norway and the UK being able to come close to meeting internal demand from their own resources.

Germany could land either side of the fence, but I would bet they would come down on the Soviet side.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink