Author Topic: Zuckerberg’s Wealth Soars $3.8 Billion as Facebook Surges  (Read 1489 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-25/zuckerberg-s-wealth-soars-3-8-billion-as-facebook-surges.html

Mark Zuckerberg’s fortune soared $3.8 billion yesterday as shares of Facebook Inc. (FB), the world’s most-popular social-networking service, rallied 30 percent to the highest level since May 2012.

Surging demand for mobile advertising helped profit and revenue top analysts’ estimates in the second quarter Wednesday. The earnings may quell concerns, voiced by analysts and investors since Facebook’s initial public offering last year, that the rising popularity of smartphones and tablets is outpacing its ability to make money selling promotions to mobile users.

:th_10444:

I wonder how much income tax he will have to pay on that? 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Zuckerberg’s Wealth Soars $3.8 Billion as Facebook Surges
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »
What a country!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:41:44 pm »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-25/zuckerberg-s-wealth-soars-3-8-billion-as-facebook-surges.html

I wonder how much income tax he will have to pay on that? 

None until and unless he sells (or otherwise disposes of) the shares in a taxable transaction, and doesn't have any offsetting capital losses.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49:16 pm »
None until and unless he sells (or otherwise disposes of) the shares in a taxable transaction, and doesn't have any offsetting capital losses.
He could borrow against the stock and pay no tax, I think.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »
He could borrow against the stock and pay no tax, I think.

He could; 'course, borrowing against the value of the stock isn't a taxable sale or other disposition, so it still falls within my "until and unless" scenario.