Author Topic: Spain Train Derailment: At Least 35 Killed After Locomotive Derails; some witnesses report explosions  (Read 969 times)

Online mountaineer

Spain Train Derailment: At Least 35 Killed After Locomotive Derails Near Santiago De Compostela
The Huffington Post  |  By Ryan Craggs
  Updated: 07/24/2013 6:56 pm EDT

La Voz de Galicia reports dozens of people have been killed in a train derailment outside Santiago de Compostela, Spain.

According to the newspaper, the high-speed commuter train derailed at 8:42 p.m. on a route traveling from Madrid to Ferrol. Conflicting reports have come out about the number of deaths involved in the accident.

Twitter users have uploaded several images of the wreck so far, showing the extent of the damage.

Currently, emergency crews have put the highest priority on rescuing those trapped in the affected cars, which could be up to 13 people.

"There are so many dead here, my God!" a nearby neighbor told Radio Gallega. Another described the scene, saying it began with "a big explosion," followed by a destroyed train car traveling several meters. Mari, a nearby citizen, said she heard an enormous explosion, followed by a "torpedo of dust and sound." ...

click on link for rest of story, more photos
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Online mountaineer

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:18:01 PM by mountaineer »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
A lot of reports are saying the train was going way too fast for that curve.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online mountaineer

Online mountaineer

Online mountaineer

El Pais said one of the drivers was trapped in his cabin and told the railway station by radio that the train entered the bend at 190 kilometres per hour (120 mph).

'We're only human! We're only human!' he told the station, the newspaper said, citing sources close to the investigation. 'I hope there are no dead, because this will fall on my conscience.'
Daily Mail

Online mountaineer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf