Author Topic: Kitten nearly dies from vegan diet  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Kitten nearly dies from vegan diet
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:53 am »
A KITTEN has almost died after its owners fed it a strict vegan diet. 

The horrific case at a North Melbourne animal hospital has prompted a warning about the dangers of people "forcing ideologies" on their pets.
Lort Smith Animal Hospital veterinarian Leanne Pinfold said the kitten was brought in this month by its owners, who were believed to be vegan.

She said the kitten's diet of potatoes, rice milk and pasta had caused it to become critically ill.

"It was extremely weak and collapsed when it came in. It was almost non-responsive," Dr Pinfold said.

The kitten was given fluids via a drip, placed on a heat pad and fed meat.

It remained in hospital for three days after which the kitten's owners were given meat to feed their pet at home, she said.

Dr Pinfold said as obligate or true carnivores, cats needed meat to survive.

She said people who wanted a pet that did not eat meat should consider other animals, such as rabbits.

"Concern for animal welfare has to include a biologically-appropriate diet," she said. "You can't force your ideology on the cat.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/kitten-nearly-dies-from-vegan-diet/story-fngnvmj7-1226682108386
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Kitten nearly dies from vegan diet
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:52 am »
Idiots.  I hate people who mistreat animals.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:54:22 pm »
diet of potatoes, rice milk and pasta
This isn't a balanced diet for any creature, whether feline or human. I hope these idiots don't have children.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:12:55 pm »
I have a vegan friend of mine... at least she knows to feed her dog the proper food for his species. This is just vapid stupidity!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 01:26:51 pm »
I have a vegan friend of mine... at least she knows to feed her dog the proper food for his species. This is just vapid stupidity!

I actually didn't learn that cats couldn't digest vegetable proteins until the past few years.  I always thought they were like dogs.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:43:40 am »
Unlike dogs, cats are obligate carnivores. What idiot doesn't know that?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TheMom

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 01:37:50 pm »
Unlike dogs, cats are obligate carnivores. What idiot doesn't know that?

Vegans, apparently.   :shrug:
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »
My cat won't eat anything but meat products. He's only a year old, and so far, has brought me dead moles, dead rabbits, dead mice that I got rid of before he could finish them off as a meal. The vet told me not to do that. Some of his gifts to me were still alive, and I put them under the shed, where Niall couldn't reach them.

Yesterday, I was snacking on shrimp, and got company. When I went back to the shrimp, they were gone.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rodrigo

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
I've often read of Vegetarians and vegans trying to raise meat eating pets on a vegan diet.  The animals become extremely sick.  Dogs require protein and fat, and Cats require excess protein.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:34:15 pm »
Yesterday, I was snacking on shrimp, and got company. When I went back to the shrimp, they were gone.

Years ago I left out some packaged ground round to thaw intending to bar b q hamburgers when we returned from wherever. When we got back one of our cats had climbed up on the counter, clawed open the cellophane, and had a splendid meal for himself.

He's gone now but I did love that cat. God's rest, Puffcat.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:40:45 pm »

Years ago I left out some packaged ground round to thaw intending to bar b q hamburgers when we returned from wherever. When we got back one of our cats had climbed up on the counter, clawed open the cellophane, and had a splendid meal for himself.

He's gone now but I did love that cat. God's rest, Puffcat.

That's a lot of food for a cat! LOL! Niall brings me rabbits, moles, mice and birds. I try to save them, but he is too fast for me. Last night, I was running the sweeper, and saw this big fur ball. It was a dead mole.  I never had a cat, and didn't particularly like them. I got Niall when he was too young to be weened. The vet was going to put him to sleep, so a friend brought him to me to "foster", but never came back for him. I learned to love him, and found out cats have personalities, likes and dislikes, and  Niall can be very affectionate when he isn't getting into trouble.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
That's a lot of food for a cat!

Oh, he didn't eat the whole thing. Just enough to satiate himself, which actually was quite a bit. We had something else for dinner that night though to get even I should have served cat food.

Take that, food thief.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:54:23 pm »
My cat gets 3 feedings a day of Purina EN and then some Science Diet TD at night before I go to bed.  This is what his cardiologist (yes, the cat has a cardiologist) recommends due to his hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which thankfully is not severe and I pray never will be.  He sees the veterinary cardiologist at the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine twice a year for checkups.  Don't ask how much it costs.  She is the only person who can hear his heart when he purrs (and he purrs nearly all the time) because he is so loud.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 12:13:59 am »
Feeding a feline a vegan diet is beyond stupid; criminal abuse is more like it.   This cat should be taken away and given to a reasonally intelligent responsible family.  Vegans:  Stick to your own cultish kind, please.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 01:49:12 am »
My cat won't eat anything but meat products. He's only a year old, and so far, has brought me dead moles, dead rabbits, dead mice that I got rid of before he could finish them off as a meal. The vet told me not to do that. Some of his gifts to me were still alive, and I put them under the shed, where Niall couldn't reach them.

See what happens when you take someone's snacks away from them?!?  I'm sure Niall is thinking that payback's fair play!

He's really beautiful, BTW.  Looks almost exactly like one of the cats my mother had when I was in high school.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 01:56:35 am »
correction:  *reasonably*

Offline happyg

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 02:19:02 am »
See what happens when you take someone's snacks away from them?!?  I'm sure Niall is thinking that payback's fair play!

He's really beautiful, BTW.  Looks almost exactly like one of the cats my mother had when I was in high school.

Thank you. I'll tell him you think he is beautiful! LOL! He's smart, as well. He usually meows at the patio doors, but one day, I was in my bedroom, and he managed to tear the screen off the window, and let me know he was there. When he wants something, he will pat me on the head to get my attention, then lead me to what he wants. I always thought cats were dumb.

The strangest thing he is does is walk back and forth on the bathtub between the curtains while I am taking a shower. As soon as he hears the water running, there he is! He did that to my granddaughter, who must have watched Psycho, and it scared her almost to death. I thought she was hurt.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 03:20:18 am »
I always thought cats were dumb.

Oh, heck no. Cats are very bright. They think it's we who are dumb because we sometimes have trouble figuring out what they want and then giving it to them.

Top of the food chain human? Yeah, right. What's beneath my tail, pal.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 04:37:22 am »
The strangest thing he is does is walk back and forth on the bathtub between the curtains while I am taking a shower. As soon as he hears the water running, there he is! He did that to my granddaughter, who must have watched Psycho, and it scared her almost to death. I thought she was hurt.

Ha! Fleabag is fascinated by anyone in the bath. He'll perch on the end of the bathtub and pat the head of anyone in there. It's like he's making sure you aren't melting or something  :laugh:

Gave my mother one heck of a fright, first time he did it to her.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink