Author Topic: Report: Jay Z, Kanye West, Rolling Stones join Wonder's Florida boycott  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/312559-report-kanye-west-rolling-stones-join-stevie-wonders-florida-boycott

Report: Jay Z, Kanye West, Rolling Stones join Wonder's Florida boycott
By Justin Sink - 07/22/13 12:31 PM ET

Some of the music industry's biggest acts are joining Stevie Wonder in boycotting Florida over the state's controversial "stand your ground" law.

Artists joining Wonder include Rod Stewart, Madonna, Usher and Justin Timberlake, a source close to the legendary musician told American Urban Radio Network's April Ryan.

Rappers Jay Z, Kanye West, Trey Songz, Young Jeezy and Wale have also signed on to the boycott threat, as have pop acts like R. Kelly, Rihanna and Alicia Keys.

Wonder announced his intended boycott the day after a Florida jury acquitted George Zimmerman of second-degree murder charges stemming from the death of Trayvon Martin.

"I decided today that until the 'stand your ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," he said. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

"For those that we have lost in the battle for justice, wherever that fits in any part of the world — we can't bring them back," he continued. "[What] we can do is we can let our voices be heard. And we can vote in our various countries throughout the world for change and equality for everybody. That's what I know we can do."

Other musicians have signaled their support for Martin: Bruce Springsteen dedicated a song to "justice for Trayvon Martin" during a concert in Limerick, Ireland, while Jay Z and Beyonce met with Martin's parents during a rally in New York City.

The "stand your ground" self-defense laws in Florida and two dozen other states allow individuals to defend themselves without requiring them to attempt to evade or retreat from a dangerous situation. Although Zimmerman did not specifically employ a "stand your ground" law defense to combat second-degree murder charges in the killing of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, the trial has brought a renewed scrutiny to the statutes.

According to Ryan's report, some of the recording artists have already canceled shows in the Sunshine State.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

~LOL~ the same Kanye West who may be charged with felony assault for attacking a camera man at LAX on Friday......... and who's baby-momma films one of her two reality TV shows in Miami.... THAT Kanye West  :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:  good ... the guy is a creep anyway.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

No, not Young Jeezy!! Oh, the humanity!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
a source close to the legendary musician
Oh, that most reliable of sources: Stevie's PR flak.

But hey, if anyone cancels, I'm sure Ted Nugent would be glad to step in...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline evadR

If they stay out it can only increase the average IQ for Florida.
Every little bit helps.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Millee

FL has a large elderly population, the Stones may want to re-think about it.   :whistle:

Offline flowers

I read that article twice. Did I miss the part where the Stones actually say they will boycott? Can someone here in the forum show me where it says the stones have boycotted Floria please.   :th_10444:

By the way aside from Rod Stewart not showing up this is a win-win for Floridians!   :smokin:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I read that article twice. Did I miss the part where the Stones actually say they will boycott? Can someone here in the forum show me where it says the stones have boycotted Floria please.   :th_10444:
No, in fact none of the above mentioned names have any independent confirmation. The one source is an unnamed source that is part of Stevie Wonder's inner circle. Perhaps it is mere wishful thinking.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline flowers

No, in fact none of the above mentioned names have any independent confirmation. The one source is an unnamed source that is part of Stevie Wonder's inner circle. Perhaps it is mere wishful thinking.
Thank you!  I have followed the Stones for years, my fav band. I cannot remember the last time they got involved in a political ordeal such as this one.  I watched Mick do a interview with Larry King some years ago. Larry asked Mick a political question concerning our politics. Micks answer was great. Larry had no clue what hit him!  Mick didn't answer it but answered the question at the same time.