Author Topic: Phil Mickelson wins the British Open  (Read 1285 times)

Offline pjohns

Phil Mickelson wins the British Open
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:57:22 pm »
Several possible storylines presented themselves, going into today's final round at Muirfield, given those at or near the top of the first leader board after Saturday's play:  If Lee Westwood were to win, it would be his first major championship, after several near misses.  And if Adam Scott were to win, if would provide redemption for his late collapse in the British Open of 2012.

Neither, however, was to be the case.

The actual storyline would be something else altogether:  Lefty would win his first British Open.

Moreover, he would win back-to-back championships, having won, just last week, at the Scottish Open (and proving that he is quite capable of playing links-style golf successfully).

Offline mountaineer

Re: Phil Mickelson wins the British Open
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:55 pm »
Phil Mickelson Wins Historic British Open And Incurs 61% Tax Rate, from Forbes Magazine.
Excerpt:
... The United Kingdom, which has authority to set Scotland’s tax rate until 2016, graduates to a 40% tax rate when income hits £32,010 then 45% when it reaches £150,000. Mickelson will pay £636,069 ($954,000, or 44.02%) on his Scottish earnings.

But that’s not all. The UK will tax a portion of his endorsement income for the two weeks he was in Scotland. It will also tax any bonuses he receives for winning these tournaments as well as a portion of the ranking bonuses he will receive at the end of the year, all at 45%. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:06 pm »
Mickelson's back 9 performance was riveting. His celebration with his caddie and his family gave me goosebumps.

I was gratified to see a seemingly good guy like Mickelson win, versus a petulant child like Tiger Woods. Woods was caught a few times with the open mic saying things you don't want your kids to hear. When Mickelson made a bad shot, he said: "my fault".

I don't lose any sleep over Mickelson's lot in life, a good childhood, and his gifted ability, (no one hits a wedge like Phil, no one). However, it is interesting to note that Mickelson has had his share of troubles. His wife's cancer, and his arthritis. I read something by Butch Harmon recalling that when he was Mickelson's swing coach, Phil was late for a Saturday in a tournament. Mickelson called from the parking lot and asked for people to come walk with him so the press wouldn't see how badly he was limping, how stiff he was.

I very much enjoyed Mickelson's charge and win.  :beer:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:14:22 pm »
Phil Mickelson embodies the fidelity that is so lacking in Tiger Woods that the contrast is startling.  Same caddy for over 20 years, same team of coaches, same wife and kids.  And he recognizes that he is a public symbol, so he comports himself with class, humility and dignity.  It's no wonder he is such a popular winner.  In terms of his personal integrity, from everything I know about him, he is right up there with last year's winner Ernie Els.

But you watch.  As we approach the PGA Championship next month the media will be talking of nothing but Tiger, Tiger, Tiger.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:21:57 pm »
But you watch.  As we approach the PGA Championship next month the media will be talking of nothing but Tiger, Tiger, Tiger.

I know some of the media pushes Tiger for the race pimp factor. But, there is no denying Tiger Woods is a big draw. Most love or hate him, but few don't care about him. I'd watch anyway, but I do want to know where Tiger is in the field. I used to not care, but I actively root against the man child.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:24:59 pm »
I know some of the media pushes Tiger for the race pimp factor. But, there is no denying Tiger Woods is a big draw. Most love or hate him, but few don't care about him. I'd watch anyway, but I do want to know where Tiger is in the field. I used to not care, but I actively root against the man child.

I used to be a big fan.  Now, like most golfers, I wish him the best and admire his abilities, but I hope he does not break Nicklaus' record.  He simply is unworthy of it.  Thankfully, based on his weekend performances in majors, Tiger doesn't think he's worthy of it, either.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »
I used to be a big fan.  Now, like most golfers, I wish him the best and admire his abilities, but I hope he does not break Nicklaus' record.  He simply is unworthy of it.  Thankfully, based on his weekend performances in majors, Tiger doesn't think he's worthy of it, either.

In general, I don't really care who wins. I would have enjoyed a Westwood win at The Open, or Poulter, or Mahan. Tiger Woods has proven to be a less than desirable standard bearer for golf. I admire his incredible talent, and his dedication. As a less than competent golfer who aspires to be better, I understand some of what goes into making a good golfer.

But you touch on one of the things that set Tiger apart from the rest. His mental toughness was beyond question. The post scandal Tiger doesn't own that same mental toughness.

Tiger is the only golfer I actively root against. And even at that, if he wins, so be it. In golf, you earn what you get, no one drags you to a win, or covers your shortcomings. I respect that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:35:09 pm by Relic »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 04:06:05 pm »
I agree with you guys about Woods. I'm also tired of the bonus coverage of his girlfriend du jour walking around the golf course.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org