Author Topic: Alfonso Soriano traded to Yankees  (Read 753 times)

Offline flowers

Alfonso Soriano traded to Yankees
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:18 pm »
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9511031/alfonso-soriano-traded-new-york-yankees-chicago-cubs

The trade of Chicago Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano to the New York Yankees was finalized Friday after he officially waived his no-trade clause, sources told ESPN.
Olney: Making Sense of Trade

OlneyThere are reasons the return of Alfonso Soriano to New York makes no sense at all, but then you realize, since June 28, he's hit 10 homers and the Yankees have eight, writes Buster Olney. Blog Insider

Of the estimated $24.5 million Soriano is owed through the end of next season, the Cubs are going to pick up about $17.7 million and the Yankees will cover the remaining $6.8 million, sources said. Soriano is scheduled to make $18 million next season, $5 million of which will be paid by the Yankees, the sources said.

Major League Baseball had to approve the dollar exchange for the trade to go through. The Cubs also will get a lower-tier pitching prospect in the trade, sources told ESPN.

Soriano, 37, began his career with the Yankees -- he played for them from 1999-2003 -- and will have some familiar faces waiting for him now that he's returning to the Bronx.

"It was great when I used to be with the Yankees," Soriano said. "My best friend with the team is [Derek] Jeter and he's still there. Mariano [Rivera] is still there too. And me and [Robinson] Cano are good friends, too, because we're from the same town. I could feel very good with the Yankees because I've been part of the family before with them."

Soriano is batting .254 with 17 home runs and 51 RBIs this season and has heated up in July, batting .299 with eight homers and 16 RBIs. He's 11 hits shy of 2,000 for his career and 11 home runs short of 400.

:th_10444: