Author Topic: Westwood leads Woods going to final round of Open  (Read 807 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Westwood leads Woods going to final round of Open
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:25:54 am »
Westwood leads Woods going to final round of Open

GULLANE, Scotland (AP) -- Lee Westwood is positioned to win the first major title of his career.

Boy, does that sound familiar.

Long considered one of the best players without a signature win on his resume, the Englishman curled in a 60-foot eagle putt on the way to a 1-under 70 Saturday that put him two strokes ahead of Tiger Woods and Hunter Mahan.

The 40-year-old Westwood has been a perennial contender in majors, finishing second or third a staggering seven times.

But he's never been able to finish the job.

He'll try to do it Sunday at baked-out Muirfield, playing in the final group with Mahan.

Woods will be in the next-to-last pairing after shooting 72, a stumble at the end leaving him two shots behind Westwood's 54-hole total of 3-under 210.

They are the only three players under par for the championship.

Adam Scott is again a contender for the claret jug, though this time he'll have to come from behind. Last year, he seemed to have it wrapped up at Lytham until he bogeyed the final four holes, a stunning collapse that left him one stroke behind Ernie Els.

Scott matched Westwood's 70 and was at 213.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/ap-news/westwood-leads-woods-going-final-round-open
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

Re: Westwood leads Woods going to final round of Open
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:09:42 pm »
When I left for church this morning, Westwood still was -3. When I returned, Phil was ahead, Lee was sinking and Tiger was irrelevant. Much as I like Westwood, I have to say it was a wonderful day of golf!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org