Author Topic: Brazil: Biden called president about surveillance  (Read 969 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Brazil: Biden called president about surveillance
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:33 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-biden-called-president-surveillance-160516392.html

Brazil: Biden called president about surveillance

SAO PAULO (AP) — The Brazilian government says U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has telephoned President Dilma Rousseff in an effort to ease tensions created by the disclosure that the United States collected data on billions of telephone and email conversations in Latin America's biggest nation.

The Brazilian presidency's website says Rousseff and Biden spoke for 25 minutes on Friday night.

After the phone conversation, Communications Minister Helena Chagas told reporters that Biden called Rousseff to offer explanations and to "express his regret over the negative repercussions caused by the disclosures."

Chagas said Rousseff accepted Biden's invitation to send a delegation to Washington to receive "technical and political details" about the case, but the date and makeup of the delegation had not been decided. State-run Agencia Brasil news agency said the group would be comprised of representatives of the foreign, justice and defense ministries and would go to Washington in about three weeks.

Rousseff told Biden she wants the U.S. government to "change its security policies and practices," the communications minister said.

"The president told Biden that the privacy of Brazilian citizens and the country's sovereignty cannot be infringed in the name of security," she said.

The newspaper O Globo reported earlier this month that information released by the National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden showed Brazil is the top target in Latin America for the NSA's intelligence-gathering effort aimed at monitoring communications around the world. The Brazilian government is investigating the disclosures and alleged links between Brazilian and U.S. telecommunications firms with a presence in the country.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Re: Brazil: Biden called president about surveillance
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:57:22 pm »
The Brazilian government says U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has telephoned President Dilma Rousseff in an effort to ease tensions created by the disclosure that the United States collected data on billions of telephone and email conversations in Latin America's biggest nation. The Brazilian presidency's website says Rousseff and Biden spoke for 25 minutes on Friday night.
Hello, is this President Dilda? This is Joe Biden from the United States. I'm the ... um ... (Jill, what am I?) Oh yeah, the vice presidente. I've run for president but no one seems to want me. Thank God that African guy said, Joe, I want you to be my vice president. Of course, I knew it was a pointless job, but it pays pretty well and the food's good. Huh? Oh, I'm calling about ... um ... (Jill?) oh, surveillance, Dilda. Yeah, the spying we've done on ya.

Hee hee, God love ya, your name cracks me up. You know what it sounds like, don'tcha? Heh. Do they have a word like that in Spanish?

Huh? Portugese? Why don't you speak Spanish? Don't all you Latinos down there habla the espanish? I have a good relationship with the Mexicans and other illegals here in the U.S., we just give 'em stuff and they like that. They vote for us. I don't know about Portugese, though. Where the heck is that? I thought I was calling Brazil.

Hey, have you ever tried those Brazil nuts? Those are something. I remember when I was a kid we called 'em n*gger toes, but you can't say that anymore. Hell, with all this Trayvon stuff going on, I'm not sure what you can say, but I do like those nuts, Dilda.

Hmm? Dilma? Oops, someone has bad handwriting! Sorry, Dilma.

So, what can I do for ya, Dilda?

*click*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline olde north church

Re: Brazil: Biden called president about surveillance
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:36:41 am »
Put your mind at ease, "Dunce" Vader will get right on it!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.