Author Topic: NYU professor: Do away with A/C to stop global warming  (Read 3143 times)

rangerrebew

NYU professor: Do away with A/C to stop global warming
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »
This clown is a sociology professor, the type of person with extreme knowledge of science.  I wonder why NASA and NOAA both have said there has been no "warming" in the past 12 years? :woohoo:

http://ideas.time.com/2013/07/17/viewpoint-air-conditioning-will-be-the-end-of-us/#ixzz2ZKRuhTUG

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: NYU professor: Do away with A/C to stop global warming
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »
15, actually... and the fact that temperatures have stabilized is good. In general, a warmer climate allows for more life and more diversity (hence why it's livelier in a rainforest compared to the tundra), as long as that warming happens at a rate slow enough for existing life to adapt.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »
What an idiot........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »
A professor one of many or most of them who is teaching our kids and grand kids.  :th_10444:

Offline TheMom

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:11:47 am »
This clown needs to spent a summer in South East Texas!  I'd bet after one day of 100 degree temp and 90% humidity he's be singing a different tune.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:48:08 am »
Get rid of A/C?  Why, that's a perfect way to accomplish indirectly what Obama and the liberals want to accomplish directly through Obamacare's death panels:  euthanizing the aged.  How?  Because old folk are some of the primary beneficiaries of A/C, which helps them avoid death from heat-stroke.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 03:50:11 am »
Get rid of A/C?  Why, that's a perfect way to accomplish indirectly what Obama and the liberals want to accomplish directly through Obamacare's death panels:  euthanizing the aged.  How?  Because old folk are some of the primary beneficiaries of A/C, which helps them avoid death from heat-stroke.

Yep.. had the same thought, then I remember as a child going to visit my 100-year-old grandmother in East Texas and her house was like a flipping oven in the middle of summer... and she would complain of being cold.......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 04:03:21 am »
Yep.. had the same thought, then I remember as a child going to visit my 100-year-old grandmother in East Texas and her house was like a flipping oven in the middle of summer... and she would complain of being cold.......

Possibly poor circulation or a bum/leaky heart valve; it doesn't mean, however, that the person's body isn't being stressed by the heat.  In fact, it's quite possible that feeling cold despite the ferocious temperatures might play a role in why elderly folk fall victim to heat stroke more often - they can't properly tell when their bodies are actually getting stressed from the heat because they're getting a false sense of feeling cold.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 04:04:41 am »
Possibly poor circulation or a bum/leaky heart valve; it doesn't mean, however, that the person's body isn't being stressed by the heat.  In fact, it's quite possible that feeling cold despite the ferocious temperatures might play a role in why elderly folk fall victim to heat stroke more often - they can't properly tell when their bodies are actually getting stressed from the heat because they're getting a false sense of feeling cold.

Oh, I know... when our power goes off in the summer I'm tempted to get in the car with the dogs and drive around with the air on.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 04:05:37 am »
Oh, I know... when our power goes off in the summer I'm tempted to get in the car with the dogs and drive around with the air on.

Don't I know it - even without any dogs.  The weather in NY has been really ugly the last two weeks.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 04:19:03 am »
Don't I know it - even without any dogs.  The weather in NY has been really ugly the last two weeks.

This morning FOX interviewed a Afghanistan Vet in NYC who said he'd rather be back in the heat of Afghanistan... they commented this is because the "dry" heat makes a huge difference (remember we have "dry" heat here - except now that monsoon season has begun).

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:32:53 pm »
This morning FOX interviewed a Afghanistan Vet in NYC who said he'd rather be back in the heat of Afghanistan... they commented this is because the "dry" heat makes a huge difference (remember we have "dry" heat here - except now that monsoon season has begun).

Dry heat absolutely makes a difference.  Humidity makes any given temperature feel significantly worse.  I spent a few months in Perth, Australia, during their summer, when the temperatures routinely got into the 90s (fahrenheit), and sometimes to 100 or higher, and I can say with certainty that I didn't feel the heat there so much as the heat in NYC, even in the low 90s.  In fact, when I was in northern Indiana during the summer, the humidity was so high that I felt worse there with temperatures in the high 80s than I did in Perth with temperatures in the high 90s.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:26 pm »

Same here in Kentucky!  Summer in the Ohio Valley is bad enough because of the humidity - but couple that with these extremely high temps (was 97 here a couple of days ago) - it is unbearable!

We just sold our business and have spent the last month moving 13 years of inventory (LOTS).  We've had two moving vans full of stuff moved by the mover guys - but my husband and I have moved probably 40 Tahoe loads ourselves because of the fragile nature of much of our stuff - IN THIS HEAT.

The good news is that I've lost four pounds!   :rolling:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 12:56:00 pm »
Exactly. Remember how many elderly folk died in France a few years ago when that nation was gripped by extreme heat? What a horrible thing to suggest.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »
Same here in Kentucky!  Summer in the Ohio Valley is bad enough because of the humidity - but couple that with these extremely high temps (was 97 here a couple of days ago) - it is unbearable!

We just sold our business and have spent the last month moving 13 years of inventory (LOTS).  We've had two moving vans full of stuff moved by the mover guys - but my husband and I have moved probably 40 Tahoe loads ourselves because of the fragile nature of much of our stuff - IN THIS HEAT.

The good news is that I've lost four pounds!   :rolling:

Now what are you going to do with all the antiques?  Maybe you and massadjv should compare notes???

So did you have the paranormal people in before you moved?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 03:06:53 am »
Now what are you going to do with all the antiques?  Maybe you and massadjv should compare notes???

So did you have the paranormal people in before you moved?

No, the paranormal people never got back to me in time before we sold the building.  :-(

A lot of the inventory was antiques - luckily we sold most of the large pieces - but the smaller items we packed, and I will probably use my new-found time to develop our website and sell some things online on our site and some other sites like etsy and maybe some on ebay (I hate ebay, so not much on there).  We have an empty rental house that we have filled to the gills with stuff.

However, most of the stuff we moved actually were bins and bins of old and new lamp parts, as well as a mountain of antique lighting we have been buying over the years (we also had a lamp restoration business).  I've really had fun rediscovering some awesome chandeliers and lamps I've bought over the last decade with the intention of restoring them "in my spare time".  That time never came as the antique mall kept me too busy. 

I plan to keep the lamp business going, but on a part-time basis.  Taking care of my father is more of a priority right now for me.  I'm tickled to death to be out of the day-to-day operations of the mall.  We've got another day or two to be completely moved out & then I will take the time to just sit down and figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I've already had people wanting me to do some estate sales and a waiting list of people wanting lamp restorations done for them.  Another lamp business owner is wanting to cut back hours and wants to talk about combining our efforts.  So I have options. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 03:43:24 am »
Hopefully something meaningful will drop in your lap, you deserve it. 

How is your dad doing?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 04:12:32 am »
Hopefully something meaningful will drop in your lap, you deserve it. 

How is your dad doing?

The last few weeks he has done well - my mother's sister passed away and I took him to the funeral - which was a two hour drive each way.  I was worried about taking him on a trip like that, but he did very well.  My sister and brother & I are arranging a trip back to his old homeplace in September - he wants to show us where our kin are buried in the old family cemeteries.  We're going to record it all. 

He can't remember what day of the week it is, but his memory of things 60 years ago is phenomenal! 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 04:22:18 am »
The last few weeks he has done well - my mother's sister passed away and I took him to the funeral - which was a two hour drive each way.  I was worried about taking him on a trip like that, but he did very well.  My sister and brother & I are arranging a trip back to his old homeplace in September - he wants to show us where our kin are buried in the old family cemeteries.  We're going to record it all. 

He can't remember what day of the week it is, but his memory of things 60 years ago is phenomenal!

You trip sounds like a wonderful opportunity to learn more family history while he is still alive.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 04:44:31 am »
You trip sounds like a wonderful opportunity to learn more family history while he is still alive.

It sure is.  My sister is working on our family trees and he has really been a help on that, filling in some empty spaces.  I'm really looking forward to it!