Author Topic: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series ...caution [spoilers ]  (Read 14973 times)

Offline flowers

Re: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »
Hope you kept it, flowers....holy crap...what an episode tonight.

Just when you think the plot is pulling into a cul-de-sac...the tension keeps building and building. 

The final scene in tonight's chapter was devastating.   I cannot wait until next week.

...Lord willing.   :laugh:
I forgot it was on and saw the last 15 minutes. Check you pm here please

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »
I forgot it was on and saw the last 15 minutes. Check you pm here please

Done.....

BTW....in my opinion, Ray Donovan is more intriguing than the Sopranos ever was.   Of course, maybe that's because I'm half Sicilian.  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »
Done.....

BTW....in my opinion, Ray Donovan is more intriguing than the Sopranos ever was.   Of course, maybe that's because I'm half Sicilian.  LOL!
Thanks so much, didn't want to spoil it for massadvj.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:37 am »
Great show.

Liev Schrieber is amazing.

It's great to see Miami High's native son Rocky Echevarria back on TV.

You all call him Steven Bauer.

Here's a true Miami creation. A bilingual sitcom about three generations of Cuban immigrants living under one roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNzdZy41AE
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2014, 12:58:34 pm »
We watched episode 5 last night.  Almost caught up.  In my opinion, it is a an excellent series but not as good as The Sopranos.  There have been a lot of TV series that I enjoyed over the years: The Wire, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Mad Men.  I even enjoyed a very dark series with Kelsey Grammer called Boss.  Ray Donovan is on a par with all of these.  But The Sopranos is simply unsurpassed. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:08 pm »
I have never seen the Sopranos, so I wouldn't know. I know I like Justified way better than Ray Donovan. I liked Breaking Bad more as well. Game of Thrones is great too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2014, 11:07:38 pm »
Another good one last night.

Victor....hurry up and catch up.  Looking to discuss it.

Geesh.....this place is so boring.   Nobody seems to like baseball threads either.    :tongue2:

PS....I hope your wife is feeling better.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:09:00 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:42 am »
I am caught up except for last night's episode.  But I always catch the latest one On Demand because I don't even know when it comes on.  I will say the ending to episode 7, when those guys get shot, was startling, but I think I enjoyed episode 6 (the Birthday Party) more.  There were some very funny and cringeworthy moments in that episode.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2014, 01:05:49 am »
I am caught up except for last night's episode.  But I always catch the latest one On Demand because I don't even know when it comes on.  I will say the ending to episode 7, when those guys get shot, was startling, but I think I enjoyed episode 6 (the Birthday Party) more.  There were some very funny and cringeworthy moments in that episode.

Those Irishmen are rea-yall pissahs.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:32 pm »
Another good one last night.

Victor....hurry up and catch up.  Looking to discuss it.

Geesh.....this place is so boring.   Nobody seems to like baseball threads either.    :tongue2:

PS....I hope your wife is feeling better.
Was able to watch Sundays episode.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »
Was able to watch Sundays episode.

Yeah....that scene with Ray's brother involving his lady friend's son asking to be lifted out of the bathtub was a little unsettling.

I don't understand why he was unable to express the reason to her.    :shrug:

Offline flowers

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »
Yeah....that scene with Ray's brother involving his lady friend's son asking to be lifted out of the bathtub was a little unsettling.

what is the reason? He was raped by the priest right?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:10:32 pm by flowers »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 06:19:45 pm »

That sort of had me thinking too.  Is it fear of him having feelings or desires?  A fear he may tell her and she goes all sideways?  Does every person abused automatically become an abuser?  I don't understand and I'm guessing to be pretty happy not to.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »
That sort of had me thinking too.  Is it fear of him having feelings or desires?
me too.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2014, 02:44:07 am »

To express his reasons to her, he would have to expose his having been molested. In effect, in his mind he'd be telling her that he's not a "man" per se.

That's the at large internal struggle for victims of pederasty.

Having lived the majority of his life dealing with his molestation, and having the idea that contact between adults and children is evil and destructive (specifically adult males and male children), plus the fact that (from understanding the Mickey Donovan character, and imagining the sort of father that he was to his young sons), Bunchy can't process the idea that the sort of contact that Clifford and he were having was not sexual in nature, because of his previous experience under similar circumstances (being a naked child held by an adult).

I think that Bunchy is simply a sexual anorexic who is afraid that having been molested himself by a man that everyone else in his whole world called a "good man" and a man of God, his being a good man doesn't mean that he won't try an molest Clifford.

His lousy explanation, his impotence and his child-like personality are manifestations of a tightly restrained, deeply buried id.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2014, 03:04:48 am »
I watched the episode tonight.  My sense was that he was in a no win situation because to tell the truth exposes him as a closet pedophile and to lie means their relationship loses its honest foundation.  Regardless of his sincerity and inherent decency, no mother would risk her son's well-being once she recognized the danger.  And that is why nothing he could have said was going to keep her from telling him to leave.

I also wonder what will be the implications of Ray succumbing to his homo-erotic demons as was suggested by the ending.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:32 am »
I also wonder what will be the implications of Ray succumbing to his homo-erotic demons as was suggested by the ending.

What?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2014, 07:42:28 am »
What?

What Victor is alluding to is the final scene where Ray knocked on the door of that inspirational speaker's assistant....the hot young blonde who had previously visited Ray at his apartment hideout.

When she answered, he discovered that he was there too...and he dared Ray to join a threesome.

Ray hesitates....as the scene goes black.

We'll find out next week if they crossed swords.

I'm glad Victor has caught up.....now we can discuss freely without ruining it for anybody.   :laugh:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:32 am »
What Victor is alluding to is the final scene where Ray knocked on the door of that inspirational speaker's assistant....the hot young blonde who had previously visited Ray at his apartment hideout.

When she answered, he discovered that he was there too...and he dared Ray to join a threesome.

Ray hesitates....as the scene goes black.

We'll find out next week if they crossed swords.

I'm glad Victor has caught up.....now we can discuss freely without ruining it for anybody.   :laugh:

Did we all watch the same show?

Ray shows up at this chick's house to do what Ray always does when he's had a shot day... has sex.

When the pop psychologist walks up behind her, his exact words are: "What do you think Ray? One of us might have to stop f$&^ing her", not both of us should go f#$k her now."

Then when Ray gives out that "I've an epic day from Hell" look and says nothing, he looks at Ray and says, "What's wrong Ray? Come in. Tell me about your day."

There's nothing in that scene that even hints at a suggestion of a threesome.

You all having a party in your own heads.

:silly: :silly:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2014, 11:54:44 am »
Did we all watch the same show?

Ray shows up at this chick's house to do what Ray always does when he's had a shot day... has sex.

When the pop psychologist walks up behind her, his exact words are: "What do you think Ray? One of us might have to stop f$&^ing her", not both of us should go f#$k her now."

Then when Ray gives out that "I've an epic day from Hell" look and says nothing, he looks at Ray and says, "What's wrong Ray? Come in. Tell me about your day."

There's nothing in that scene that even hints at a suggestion of a threesome.

You all having a party in your own heads.

:silly: :silly:

LOL! You're right, Luis.

I blame it on my acute tinnitus, Luis.   Just played it back and you're right.   I thought he had said, "start" instead of "stop".

So the inference is that maybe he's going inside to learn how to cope with his propensity to cheat.   (boring  lol)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series ...caution [spoilers ]
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2014, 12:25:20 pm »
If you guys cannot see the nuances then I can't help you.  There has been a sexual tension between Ray and the pop psycho from the beginning.  You'll see.  I can't say whether Ray will "go there" (my guess is no) but he will definitely be tempted based on Ray's own childhood demons.

It's often been said that when you have an MMF situation it's just an excuse for the men to do it to each other without having to consciously admit it.  The woman is simply a conduit.  That was the implication of the final scene.

Ray Donovan is an extremely angry man who uses sex to release his anger.  For the past dozen or so episodes there have been hints dropped here and there that he may subconsciously harbor a desire to do it to a man, possibly because men, or a particular man, are at the source of his anger.

Sheesh.  Do I have to explain everything to you guys?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:34:57 pm by massadvj »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2014, 12:27:17 pm »
LOL! You're right, Luis.

I blame it on my acute tinnitus, Luis.   Just played it back and you're right.   I thought he had said, "start" instead of "stop".

So the inference is that maybe he's going inside to learn how to cope with his propensity to cheat.   (boring  lol)

Naw...

He's going to bang the blonde after he beats the crap out of the dude and throws him out the back door

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:27 pm »
If you guys cannot see the nuances then I can't help you.  There has been a sexual tension between Ray and the pop psycho from the beginning.  You'll see.  I can't say whether Ray will "go there" (my guess is no) but he will definitely be tempted based on Ray's own childhood demons.

You may need a shower.

That's not sexual tension. That's having to put up with an a$$hole.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:00 pm »

It's often been said that when you have an MMF situation it's just an excuse for the men to do it to each other without having to consciously admit it.  The woman is simply a conduit.  That was the implication of the final scene.

Ray Donovan is an extremely angry man who uses sex to release his anger.  For the past dozen or so episodes there have been hints dropped here and there that he may subconsciously harbor a desire to do it to a man, possibly because men, or a particular man, are at the source of his anger.

Sheesh.  Do I have to explain everything to you guys?

I like your take the best, Victor.   Thanks.

One thing for sure....I'm getting to dislike the wife's character more with each passing week.

As far as the rapper's killer...we all know and expect Ray to deal with him personally before it's all over.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:37 pm »
Naw...

He's going to bang the blonde after he beats the crap out of the dude and throws him out the back door

I'll take that bet, Luis....if you're serious.  LOL!