Author Topic: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series ...caution [spoilers ]  (Read 14963 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Ray Donovan - Showtime Series ...caution [spoilers ]
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:20 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36OT6TsHOw

Ray Donovan - Showtime Series

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm hooked!   

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:43:35 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:12:13 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:24:41 am »
I've been watching it.  It's intriguing but I am not "hooked" yet.  I like the Jon Voight character and I like the brother with the bad arm and hand.  The anti-hero is a little too anti and not enough hero for my taste, at least up to this point. 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:43:33 am »
I've been watching it.  It's intriguing but I am not "hooked" yet.  I like the Jon Voight character and I like the brother with the bad arm and hand.  The anti-hero is a little too anti and not enough hero for my taste, at least up to this point.

I'm re-watching this right now.....at the 30 minute mark where he finds out "he's out!". 

Love the casting throughout!   This is going to be the biggest winner since Sopranos, IMO.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:40:51 am »
I finally watched all the episodes.  It's dark, I think darker than Soprano's.  I live Jon Voight, but his character in this series is a real SOB.... which only goes to show what a good actor he is.   Liev Schreiber is interesting...  sort of a good/bad guy... oh and I think the actress playing his wife is too homely to be his wife in the series.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:45:37 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:31:08 am »
WOW!   Great episode tonight!

Is Ray planning on making new copies of pages 1 and 2 of the contract he gave her on his son...the rapper?

Because he took the blood stained contract with him...and I believe page 3 with the signature is clean.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:35:25 am »

oh and I think the actress playing his wife is too homely to be his wife in the series.

They met in high school. 

Look at Ray's background.   Wouldn't you want to get out of that environment?  So 'you' marry your high school sweetheart.

And after tonight's episode....look at his own two children!   YIKES!!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:36:37 am »
They met in high school. 

Look at Ray's background.   Wouldn't you want to get out of that environment?  So 'you' marry your high school sweetheart.

And after tonight's episode....look at his own two children!   YIKES!!

Yep the third page is clean... watching it right now.  That black kid is BIG TROUBLE..
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 02:39:39 am »
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

Ray Donovan is arguably, the best mini-series cable show since The Sopranos.

Housewarming....the episode this weekend, makes me forget Tony completely.

Rap....do you still think Ray's wife is too homely for the job?   LOL!   

I love Elliott Gould as Ezra Goodman.....he should win an award for this role.

Love the way he protected the athlete from another paternity suit...hands on!  LOL!

Dash Mihok as Bunchy Donovan was fantastic!   WOW!   

And Voight is in a league by himself.

Love the line as he welcomed his Ray's two kids arriving outside...."Hey!   I see you got a butler and all!"   

"It's my car!"

"But you're still black, ain't ya?"

I don't like Mickey Donovan.   

episode plays tonight at 11PM on SHOWTIME. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:41:17 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:52:01 am »
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

Ray Donovan is arguably, the best mini-series cable show since The Sopranos.

Housewarming....the episode this weekend, makes me forget Tony completely.

Rap....do you still think Ray's wife is too homely for the job?   LOL!   

I love Elliott Gould as Ezra Goodman.....he should win an award for this role.

Love the way he protected the athlete from another paternity suit...hands on!  LOL!

Dash Mihok as Bunchy Donovan was fantastic!   WOW!   

And Voight is in a league by himself.

Love the line as he welcomed his Ray's two kids arriving outside...."Hey!   I see you got a butler and all!"   

"It's my car!"

"But you're still black, ain't ya?"

I don't like Mickey Donovan.   

episode plays tonight at 11PM on SHOWTIME.

I am going to watch it later this evening........

Yep, I still think the wife is homely..... I cracked up last week when she found the handcuffs in the bathroom...

and yes, Elliot Gould is great in this role, as is Voight.....  nice to see these "old-timers" get some good work. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:54:01 am by Rapunzel »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »

"So Ray.....how was YOUR day?"

Glad you asked.....Today, I had to get in an FBI paid infomant's face....then saved an athlete's endorsement career...dealt with a setup for a paternity suit.....then ...I setup that pesky FBI agent that's talking to my father by spiking his morning coffee with LSD.   

Oh yeah.....then I had to deal I had to deal with this batsh*t crazy blonde kid who handcuffed herself to my vanity...in her underwear.

Then I visited the tripping FBI agent and upped his dosage after giving him a speech.

All this time, Ezra walks out of the hospital in his gown prior to his brain surgery.

Then I topped it off by putting a gun to Mickey's head and alienating my children.

How was yours?    :laugh:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 11:57:10 pm »

"So Ray.....how was YOUR day?"

Glad you asked.....Today, I had to get in an FBI paid infomant's face....then saved an athlete's endorsement career...dealt with a setup for a paternity suit.....then ...I setup that pesky FBI agent that's talking to my father by spiking his morning coffee with LSD.   

Oh yeah.....then I had to deal I had to deal with this batsh*t crazy blonde kid who handcuffed herself to my vanity...in her underwear.

Then I visited the tripping FBI agent and upped his dosage after giving him a speech.

All this time, Ezra walks out of the hospital in his gown prior to his brain surgery.

Then I topped it off by putting a gun to Mickey's head and alienating my children.

How was yours?    :laugh:

Other than that, how was your day?   :silly:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 12:33:20 am »
Other than that, how was your day?   :silly:

Victor...I've watched that episode twice already and looking forward to seeing it once more before next week.

Rush spoke about this show a little today....he said that after Gandolfini died he watched a lot of different episodes from all the seasons....and could readily talk about it to Catherine...or Snerdly...or anybody.

Not so with Ray Donovan.

It's mesmerizing....but how do you discuss, "....well, you're still black, ain't ya?"

Also....now at 67...wished that I had tried that acid back in the 70's.   LOL!   :silly:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 02:19:01 am »
Victor...I've watched that episode twice already and looking forward to seeing it once more before next week.

Rush spoke about this show a little today....he said that after Gandolfini died he watched a lot of different episodes from all the seasons....and could readily talk about it to Catherine...or Snerdly...or anybody.

Not so with Ray Donovan.

It's mesmerizing....but how do you discuss, "....well, you're still black, ain't ya?"

Also....now at 67...wished that I had tried that acid back in the 70's.   LOL!   :silly:

My take on the show originally was that I liked some of the supporting characters (the father and boxing trainer brother in particular) but the big flaw for me was that I didn't like the main character too much.  After this last episode I'm starting to muster some sympathy for the guy.  It is very dark, but I don't mind that.  In fact, some of my favorite movies and series of all time are what some might call deeply disturbing.  Blue Velvet, for example, is one of my all-time favs.

BTW, I did drop acid in the 70's and while it's not wasn't as mind blowing as Ray's stuff, there's a reason hardly anyone does it anymore.  It's just too intense, and not that pleasant.  I use to say an acid trip was a three-day event.  One day to get high and two to recover.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 02:32:28 am »

BTW, I did drop acid in the 70's and while it's not wasn't as mind blowing as Ray's stuff, there's a reason hardly anyone does it anymore.  It's just too intense, and not that pleasant.  I use to say an acid trip was a three-day event.  One day to get high and two to recover.

My nephew ended up in a mental hospital when he was 16 after doing acid, he thought the devil was chasing him.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:44 am »
My nephew ended up in a mental hospital when he was 16 after doing acid, he thought the devil was chasing him.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 03:05:05 am »
I tried LSD in the seventies a couple of times.  I was lucky that I didn't have the ill effects that your nephew did.  My experience was giggling non-stop for fourteen hours and praying it would be over with soon!  One of the times I tried it with a friend of mine, went home & my husband reminded me that we had to go to his family reunion!  That was one UNCOMFORTABLE event for me!

I don't recommend it.   **nononono*
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 03:08:53 am »
I tried LSD in the seventies a couple of times.  I was lucky that I didn't have the ill effects that your nephew did.  My experience was giggling non-stop for fourteen hours and praying it would be over with soon!  One of the times I tried it with a friend of mine, went home & my husband reminded me that we had to go to his family reunion!  That was one UNCOMFORTABLE event for me!

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:  Oh nooooooooooooo

The worst I ever did was smoke pot....  and not until I was in my late 20's.... 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 03:15:20 am »
Back in 1976...in our little circle...there was an attorney who was about 20 years older than us, who was a recognized authority on 'acid'.

"Henry" was a brilliant man...he could have an engaging conversation on just about anything.

But...because he wasn't actually practicing law in a job anymore...and seemed too young to retire...it didn't seem right.

My housemate Richard told me that it was after a particularly bad LSD experience that Richard stopped working and caring for himself.

....that was enough of an incentive to abstain for me.   

...but I sure would like to see my desk top ripple....and a monkey use the restroom. :silly:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 03:16:28 am »

LOL!....I 'knew' you were cool, Alice!    :beer:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 03:19:16 am »

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:  Oh nooooooooooooo 

The worst I ever did was smoke pot....  and not until I was in my late 20's....

I guess you could say I was a hippie in the seventies.  We had some fun times and some scary times.  A lot of our friends didn't make it.  Drug overdoses, motorcycle accidents, suicides, a murder, divorces (children scarred for life), lost jobs and time spent in prison.  My husband & I came out of it relatively unscathed.  I feel lucky to be here.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 03:24:42 am »
Not familiar with this show, but then I don't get Showtime. 

We have The Sopranos to thank for ushering in these amazing-quality cable series dramas that have come out the last 10-15 years.  They make up for all the sucky crap at the movie theatres.

I myself am just starting the Breaking Bad series.  THAT is how behind I am on things.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 03:28:44 am »
Not familiar with this show, but then I don't get Showtime. 

We have The Sopranos to thank for ushering in these amazing-quality cable series dramas that have come out the last 10-15 years.  They make up for all the sucky crap at the movie theatres.

I myself am just starting the Breaking Bad series.  THAT is how behind I am on things.

Breaking Bad is in AMC right now as a matter of fact.... looks like a marathon.  There is also another series they are advertising which looks interesting Hell on Wheels, anyone see it yet?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 03:30:05 am »
LOL!....I 'knew' you were cool, Alice!    :beer:

It was horrible, and I thought my husband was going to KILL me!  We were newlyweds and this was going to be the first time a lot of his family was going to meet me!  I remember trying so hard to keep myself under control - they must have thought I was crazy! 

I do remember commenting to someone that the hairs on my arm were rainbow-colored.....next thing I knew, my husband was telling everyone we had to go. 

:th_10444:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:43 am »
Breaking Bad is in AMC right now as a matter of fact.... looks like a marathon.  There is also another series they are advertising which looks interesting Hell on Wheels, anyone see it yet?

I saw a few episodes of Hell on Wheels before we dropped our cable tv.  It was pretty good - I like that era.

Breaking Bad's last season starts tomorrow night, it is one of my favorite shows of all.  The acting and the characters are superb!  I'll be watching it at my brother's house.  I can't see how Walt can have anything but a pretty bad ending.