Author Topic: Strong week at Muirfield would silence those who say McIlroy has lost his focus  (Read 1303 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Strong week at Muirfield would silence those who say McIlroy has lost his focus
Alan Bastable

GULLANE, Scotland -- His clubs. His swing. His putting. His globetrotting. His scheduling. His sponsor commitments. His tennis-star girlfriend. His management shakeup. His shortage of competitive reps. His failure to bow at Hogan's alter and wholly and completely turn himself over to the game.

The list of potential explanations for Rory McIlroy's disappointing play in 2013 has grown so exhaustive that there are seemingly no culprits left to blame (his new conditioner, anybody?). But McIlroy, who makes Jimmy Buffett look uptight, isn't ready to press the panic button -- not even close to ready.

"What's the big deal?" McIlroy said Wednesday at Muirfield, where he is preparing to make his sixth Open Championship start. "I haven't had the best six months. It's OK. I'm fine. I've got a good life. … Sooner or later, it'll turn around and I'll be back lifting trophies."

That's all well and good, and undoubtedly the right mindset for a 24-year-old with two majors titles on his resume and untold millions in his brokerage account. But in this win-often-or-risk-being-forgotten world, what-me-worry decrees don't sit well with the masses. Nick Faldo, the windy three-time Open champion, reminded McIlroy of that when earlier this week he suggested that the World No. 2 -- and former Faldo mentee -- isn't working hard enough.

"You have a 20-year window of opportunity as an athlete," Faldo said when asked about McIlroy's underwhelming play. "Concentrate on golf, nothing else." The six-time major winner added, "The most ideal preparation I can think is to go to the club at nine in the morning, hit balls all day long, and leave at five. You have to do that."

Read more: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/rory-mcilroy-hopes-find-his-game-british-open-2013-muirfield

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

I say it's those crappy Nike clubs.   :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

I say it's those crappy Nike clubs.   :laugh:
The definitely didn't help. It's amazing how at that level the smallest thing can make a huge diff.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

Mac is a huge talent. He'll get it back, just a matter of when.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

It's not a question of 'finding your stroke'.  It's a question of having the dedication to committing to the daily hours it takes to become a champion.

That's what McIlroy is lacking.   OTOH...he's enjoying his life.  He's an idol wherever he goes and he never has to worry about money.  He's living his life.

The price is that he'll continue to be a bridesmaid and never the bride.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

So, he needs to focus on his focus.

Could be.

If he gets in one of those traps, he could be there all day. I suggest he focus on how to avoid them.

Online mountaineer

Rory's +4 through 13 at this moment in pretty benign conditions, so he hasn't quite gotten it together.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

Rory's +4 through 13 at this moment in pretty benign conditions, so he hasn't quite gotten it together.
yeah, especially when everyone else is shooting under and Zach is -6.
Wonder what Tiger's doing?

Offline evadR

ah...Tiger hasn't teed off yet.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
McElroy looked pathetic out there today.  He seems to have lost his lust for the game.  I think, like so many athletes, he was too successful too young and not really psychologically prepared for it.  Now he is in the hands of his managers, sponsors, equipment makers and girlfriends.

Hopefully, as he matures he will figure out who he is and find some motivation.

Offline Relic

Yeah, that's what they said about David Duval.

Offline evadR

Yeah, that's what they said about David Duval.
True, but Duval was a different story.
He was much older, fatter, had injuries and totally lost his ability to play.
Mc is young, slim, no injuries and still has the ability...just needs F O C U S. ....

..and get rid of those worthless Nike clubs...they're killing your game.

Offline evadR

keeeerist...8 over.
6 boggies and 2 doubles.
He was ok on the front and went ape shit on the back.

Maybe he can only play 9..

stick a fork in him.