Author Topic: License plate cameras track millions of Americans  (Read 1745 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
License plate cameras track millions of Americans
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:42:07 pm »
http://m.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/license-plate-cameras-track-millions-of-americans/2013/07/17/40410cd0-ee47-11e2-bed3-b9b6fe264871_story.html?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

by Craig Timberg
July 17, 2013

The spread of cheap, powerful cameras capable of reading license plates has allowed police to build databases on the movements of millions of Americans over months or even years, according to an American Civil Liberties Union report released Wednesday.

The license-plate readers, which police typically mount along major roadways or on the backs of cruisers, can identify vehicles almost instantly and compare them against “hot lists” of cars that have been stolen or involved in crimes.

But the systems collect records on every license plate they encounter — whether or not they are on hot lists — meaning time and location data are gathered in databases that can be searched by police. Some departments purge information after a few weeks, some after a few months and some never, said the report, which warns that such data could be abused by authorities, and chill freedom of speech and association.

Such details, say police and law enforcement experts, can help investigators reconstruct suspects’ movements before and after armed robberies, auto thefts and other crimes. Departments typically require that information be used only for law enforcement purposes and require audits designed to detect abuse.

“We’d like to be able to keep the data as long as possible, because it does provide a rich and enduring data set for investigations down the line,” said David J. Roberts, senior program manager for the Technology Center of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

But the ACLU argues that data collection by most police departments is unnecessarily broad. In an analysis of data collected in Maryland, the report found that license-plate readers recorded the locations of vehicle plates 85 million times in 2012.

Based on a partial-year analysis of that data, the ACLU found that about one in 500 plates registered hits. In the overwhelming majority of cases, it said, the alleged offenses were minor, involving lapsed registrations or failures to comply with the state’s emission-control program.

For each million plates read in Maryland, 47 were associated with serious crimes, such as a stolen vehicle or a wanted person, the report said. Statistics collected by the ACLU in several other jurisdictions around the country also found hit rates far below 1 percent of license plates read.

Maryland officials have defended their program, which collects data from departments across the state in a fusion center, which shares intelligence among federal, state and local agencies. In a recent three-month period, state officials said, license-plate readers contributed to 860 serious traffic citations and the apprehension of 180 people for crimes including stolen autos or license plates.

The center deletes the data one year after they are collected, in what officials said was a compromise between investigative needs and privacy rights.

“We don’t want to retain more information . . . than is necessary,” said Harvey Eisenberg, an assistant U.S. attorney who oversees Maryland’s Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council. “You strike the balance, because people are legitimately concerned.”

The license-plate readers are also widely used in Northern Virginia and the District, which has them mounted on many of the major roadways entering and exiting the city. A D.C. police spokeswoman did not immediately comment on the ACLU report.

Private companies also are using license-plate-reading technology to build databases, typically to help in repossessing cars.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: License plate cameras track millions of Americans
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:51:22 pm »
I know there are police departments in my neck of the woods that use these Plate Readers. They will scan everyone, and if any one of the plates turns up with a lapse or suspension, they will arrest the driver on the spot.

For example... this little nugget from the local police blotter:
• Wade F. Wampler II, 35, of Route 62, Gowanda, was charged June 29 with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation and operating a vehicle with a suspended registration after the Plate Reader alerted Patrol that Wampler’s vehicle had a suspended registration.

According to authorities, the vehicle’s registration was suspended for an insurance lapse on Feb. 22; however, the vehicle was currently insured. A DMV check also revealed that Wampler’s driver’s license had been suspended on June 13 for failure to appear in Evans Town Court for a traffic violation.

Wampler is due in Persia Town Court.
No cause, no threat to the road, just a plate reader looking for dirt.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:18:39 pm »
The use of information for tracking purposes is dodgy, but merely using the scanners to look for "hot list" license plates is probably constitutional inasmuch as operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right, and the use of a camera to identify vehicles that are not licensed for use on the roads is probably a rational means of regulating the use of that privilege.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:36 pm »
They made them turn off the red light/license plate cameras in Phoenix.....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:58 pm »
Does the hairspray trick still work?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:05:59 am »
Does the hairspray trick still work?

What trick is that?

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:05:24 am »
The use of information for tracking purposes is dodgy, but merely using the scanners to look for "hot list" license plates is probably constitutional inasmuch as operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right, and the use of a camera to identify vehicles that are not licensed for use on the roads is probably a rational means of regulating the use of that privilege.

I would argue that operating a motor vehicle is a right inasmuch as we have a right to travel. It's what our infrastructure is built around. I can't safely travel the 3 miles to the grocer's without a motor vehicle.

OTOH, that "right to operate a motor vehicle" is not a cop out to give away Porsche's to the welfare crowd.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:45 am »
I would argue that operating a motor vehicle is a right inasmuch as we have a right to travel. It's what our infrastructure is built around. I can't safely travel the 3 miles to the grocer's without a motor vehicle.

OTOH, that "right to operate a motor vehicle" is not a cop out to give away Porsche's to the welfare crowd.

How is it a right, as opposed to a "privilege" that the State can grant, deny, or condition?  The right to travel does not grant a right to any particular form or mode of travel, nor does it require the State to make it possible for you to exercise that right, all that it requires is that the State not act affirmatively to unreasonably restrict or deny your right to travel.  This is a negative freedom, not a positive freedom (as are all the real freedoms protected by the Constitution).

If you cannot travel the 3 miles to the grocery store without a car then you have several alternatives:  (1) legally own your own car, (2) legally borrow someone else's legally owned car, (3) legally have someone else drive you around in that person's own car, (4) have your groceries delivered to you, or (5) move.

Owning an automobile and legally operating it on the public highways is a privilege, not a right, and it is not necessary in order to exercise your right to travel.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:43:21 am »
"They will scan everyone, and if any one of the plates turns up with a lapse or suspension, they will arrest the driver on the spot."

... EXCEPT if they happen to be "illegals".... ;)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:11:22 am »
What trick is that?

The first cameras - no idea if they have been improved - could be fooled by giving part of your plate a blast of hair spray (three coats. That was what I was told). It would obscure one or two letters/digits of your plate but look unsuspicious, Any one watching would assume it was a sundog reflecting off your plate and of course the computers simply couldn't read the plate.

Not tried this since 2005 - it still worked then.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 06:56:48 pm »
The first cameras - no idea if they have been improved - could be fooled by giving part of your plate a blast of hair spray (three coats. That was what I was told). It would obscure one or two letters/digits of your plate but look unsuspicious, Any one watching would assume it was a sundog reflecting off your plate and of course the computers simply couldn't read the plate.

Not tried this since 2005 - it still worked then.

It might - although I'm not going to put my neck out there by trying it - but wouldn't it only work if the Sun were coming from behind the vehicle in question?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:07:11 pm »
Maybe a swarp of mud on part of the license plate and surrounding area might not look so "intentional". 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:20:03 pm »
Maybe a swarp of mud on part of the license plate and surrounding area might not look so "intentional".

The only application that I can think of....would be the search of suspended registrations that are driving while suspended.

Now, they could extend that to flagging the 'owner' of the vehicle to see if they personally have any outstanding warrants and if they get a 'hit', they could proceed with the chase and pulling them over.

I don't see how the government can use this information on general population to their detriment.   Sorry.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 07:05:07 pm »
How is it a right, as opposed to a "privilege" that the State can grant, deny, or condition?  The right to travel does not grant a right to any particular form or mode of travel, nor does it require the State to make it possible for you to exercise that right, all that it requires is that the State not act affirmatively to unreasonably restrict or deny your right to travel.  This is a negative freedom, not a positive freedom (as are all the real freedoms protected by the Constitution).

If you cannot travel the 3 miles to the grocery store without a car then you have several alternatives:  (1) legally own your own car, (2) legally borrow someone else's legally owned car, (3) legally have someone else drive you around in that person's own car, (4) have your groceries delivered to you, or (5) move.

Owning an automobile and legally operating it on the public highways is a privilege, not a right, and it is not necessary in order to exercise your right to travel.

I suppose I could use a horse, but someone would complain that it was animal cruelty.

To have rights, but claim that the methods of enjoying those rights are privilege sort of negates those rights.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.